Grafted bubble tip, anyone see anything like this before?

ATXreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I came across this picture in a post from 2010. It looks like someone cut two different color morphs in half and stuck them together. I've searched to see if this is possible and haven't been able to find info about it. Only thing I've seen close to this is the ECC Nexus Burst bta. What do y'all think is going on here? Original poster of pictures @sexycorals
1664390673098.png

1664390693685.png

dcsorrell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not an expert on nems, but it looks to me as though some tentacles are extended and others are not. My wild guess is that's the only difference.

Sink_or_Swim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not an expert on nems, but it looks to me as though some tentacles are extended and others are not. My wild guess is that's the only difference.
Also there are a few white speckles on the other half, so looks like it's just naturally occurring variation in coloring in one nem. I could be wrong of course, lol.

bradleym

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is fairly common with sunburst morphs, particularly after a split, even more so with a forced split (when a nem is cut).

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And I definitely wouldn’t pay more money for it, because it’ll eventually become the same color.

OP
OP
A

ATXreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. Maybe explains why we haven't seen any updated photos of this particular guy!

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If able to focus various lighting couldn't it cause this?

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If able to focus various lighting couldn't it cause this?
You’re assuming the BTA will remain in the same position, which is highly unlikely.

You bring up a good point though. It could’ve been that the anemone was partially shaded which caused the appearance.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’re assuming the BTA will remain in the same position, which is highly unlikely.

You bring up a good point though. It could’ve been that the anemone was partially shaded which caused the appearance.
Correct on the assumption. However if kept confined for this desired purpose. I assume could be possible. Taking a $30 rainbow and turning it into a $500 morph.

Brit’s Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Interesting. Maybe explains why we haven't seen any updated photos of this particular guy!
So I saw this nem recently also after the thread it was posted on in 2010 came up here. I ended up looking up Sexy Corals & it looks like they went out of business a few years ago. Also, there were some scathing reviews and questions of integrity but I have never dealt with them personally, so I can’t say what’s what. I’m inclined to think this was a forced split by cutting or maybe something similar to the Nexus Burst as others have mentioned.

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correct on the assumption. However if kept confined for this desired purpose. I assume could be possible. Taking a $30 rainbow and turning it into a $500 morph.
The problem is that it's temporary, so it's essentially ripping someone off for 500 bucks!

That said, there's no way to turn a rainbow into anything that looks like a sunburst. The pink tips of a rainbow are a clear indicator. And the purple dot on the very tip of the sunburst (granted, it's not always there but is in the photos above) can't be altered as well.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem is that it's temporary, so it's essentially ripping someone off for 500 bucks!

That said, there's no way to turn a rainbow into anything that looks like a sunburst. The pink tips of a rainbow are a clear indicator. And the purple dot on the very tip of the sunburst (granted, it's not always there but is in the photos above) can't be altered as well.
I'd argue that most coral dealers are in the business of ripping people off. Agree that cross strains isn't an option. However I've seen nems look completely different when lighting changes.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's one

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 31.7%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 24.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back