Grafted Setosa

spartanman22

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 10, 2014
Messages
984
Reaction score
729
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was inspecting my frag rack last night and came across this (please excuse the ugly algae!):

2e799f4e021d77ba4cfd88ad31ff6710.jpg


7e4a819e1485d7c93ef505c9fbbc20fc.jpg
 
It just looks like a discoloration as opposed to be grafted by something else IMO. Maybe algae growth, maybe stress, maybe a parasite etc.
 
It just looks like a discoloration as opposed to be grafted by something else IMO. Maybe algae growth, maybe stress, maybe a parasite etc.

If I'm not mistaken "grafting" is the result of GFP infection of a stony coral tissue. It is certainly not algae growth as that was my first assumption. It is in fact coral tissue.
 
I am green markings just like that on my orange plating montipora!!
 
It'll be interesting to see how long it lasts. I'm going to clean the glass and then get the DSLR out to try and get some better shots
 
If I'm not mistaken "grafting" is the result of GFP infection of a stony coral tissue. It is certainly not algae growth as that was my first assumption. It is in fact coral tissue.
I know I’m late to the party and I’m sure you’ve found this out a while ago lol but I have a grafted setosa myself and from what I can find Steve tyree ( rrc ) was the first to begin selling frags of grafted setosa. Jason fox as well and I believe wwc farms them as well. I’ll have to get some pictures but mine has some really nice 4.5 inch green stripes going throughout the whole piece. It’s really cool because with the wwc grafted monti or even the jf sun fire monti grafted monti you can see exactly where that line is beginning to separate the red/ green throughout the growth of the coral but with the setosa it’s really random. I had gotten it completely orange/ red but now I have huge green stripes that you cannot miss! Very cool piece! Do you still have yours?
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 1 5.9%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new