Gramma in my Overflow

CastAway

Prone to wander, never lost.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently added a Royal Gramma to my tank. I just love the bright and contrasting colors. Once it went into the display, it promptly disappeared. Now I've found it in my overflow and have failed so far to get it out. Can't net it. It's very close quarters in there with the durso and supply lines. Short of siphoning it empty, and hoping the fish gets sucked up, I'm kinda stuck.

Any other ideas?

saltyphish

Certified Sand Groomer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what space you are working with but maybe make a trap to catch it. Maybe a bottle trap. Some of those plastic bottled water are pretty slim. I imagine if you can fit one in there he will get hungry enough to go in the trap

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the sump can handle the extra water, pulling the drain pipe is the easiest way to get him out.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the sump can handle the extra water, pulling the drain pipe is the easiest way to get him out.

I've don't this! I just replaced my filter sock with a net and caught the fish on his way out. Worked like a charm

ReefMadScientist

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a Blue Spotted Jawfish vanish for weeks and I had no idea what happened to it. When I was cleaning my tank I heard something splash in my overflow. It was the jawfish. You will be amazed how long a fish can survive in there.

I tried everything to get it out. I finally got the idea from my wife to use the siphon. I gave it a good siphon and out he came. Just be careful your tube doesn't have any kinks in it.

OP
OP
CastAway

CastAway

Prone to wander, never lost.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This morning I turned my pumps off and pulled the durso stand pipe letting the overflow drain completely out. The little bugger stayed in the tiny depth of water that remained due to the height of the bulkhead flange!

So, I turned the pumps on and waited, still no exit.

So, I used my phone to see and chased him down the overflow with some forceps!

Back in the tank again, for now....

MikeyB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to hear you got him back in your tank. I have a clownfish that jumps in my overflow atleast once a month, ive become a pro at getting him back out. I just pull my drain tube as my sump can handle the excess water and just scoop him up with a net and back into the tank he goes.

I actually have to go do that here shortly, as he was in there last night when i got home from work but was too tired to fish him out

SABOB

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha.....read the title and thought your Grandmother was in the overflow.......Guess I should stop Day Drinking[emoji41]

schlitz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a clownfish that did this to me several times (cue Finding Nemo jokes). I have a tiny Tupperware cup that I used to get him out. It is slightly smaller than a shot glass.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 7 7.1%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 16 16.3%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 66 67.3%
  • Neither.

Votes: 4 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 5.1%
Back