Gray spots on blue tang. ID?

Frogspon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have a guess at what these are?

Yesterday it looked like the tang had small white dots on him, I thought they were ich. But today they've gotten bigger and turned gray. Maybe lesions? hard to get a good look at the fish.

The little guy is around 2 inches, active and eating well. but hides a lot of course.

Any treatment advice is welcome.

IMG_4389.jpg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing obvious comes to mind. The spots are too large really, to be turbellarians (black ich). Sometimes though, regular ich causes a secondary reaction and the fish's skin creates dark spots (hyper-melanization). Some additional background information would be helpful - here is a link to some common questions that help us ID the issue:

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/s...sease-treatment-and-diagnosis-section.775547/

Jay

OP
OP
F

Frogspon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing obvious comes to mind. The spots are too large really, to be turbellarians (black ich). Sometimes though, regular ich causes a secondary reaction and the fish's skin creates dark spots (hyper-melanization). Some additional background information would be helpful - here is a link to some common questions that help us ID the issue:

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/s...sease-treatment-and-diagnosis-section.775547/

Jay

I did believe at first appearance it was ich yesterday, (tiny white spots) but now it's changed to what we see in this photo.

Is there any treatment for the secondary reactions? Or will it just heal itself? I don't see any more smaller white spots.

It might be hard to see in the photo, but they almost look like little raised gray craters/lesions or abrasions.

All parameters are in standard recommended ranges. This particular 90G has been running for 6 months. The tang has only been in it for 2 weeks and just showed signs yesterday. No other fish, corals or inverts have symptoms.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 17.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 17.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 53 53.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.0%
Back