Great... drywall anchors failed.

I attached a wood beam to the ceiling 2x4's and then attach the lights to that. I could swing off of it if I wanted.

15704142973032625714971156871286.jpg
 
I wonder if the drywall is actually plaster. If I use those self-drilling anchors, they crumble right out of the wall :( Big toggle bolts was all i could figure out for my lights. The ceiling seems to be made of the same crumbly plaster. I bolted the t-slot in 4 different places. Hoping the wight is better distributed since the lights are not directly in the ceiling. Had some heavy Orphiks up there for a week or two... seemed fine. Not sure about long term though...

ignore that extra piece of t-slot. That was just a test lol

Screenshot_20191006-154852_Gallery.jpg

Horsehair plaster, drywall, wood paneling, regular plaster in mixed layers and varying amounts of air gaps in between is what I have to deal with. The alligator anchor is the only one that I’ve found works relaibly. The plastic plug is soft, so it expands like a masonry anchor for a compression fit or toggles open if there is enough space.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 2 3.7%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 3 5.6%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 13 24.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 13 24.1%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 16.7%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 2 3.7%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 14.8%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 3 5.6%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new