Great option for lighting a large refugium, CUC?

OverHauler

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Guys,

Swapped out the stock sump on my RS Reefer 250 with a 29gal turned sump I made myself and added this light to grow Chaeto in the fuge. I chose it just because the price for the light seemed like a steal vs the other options out there so I had to give it a go. The results have been fantastic so far. Mounted it above the fuge and hooked up to a simple timer and I'm off to the races. Chaeto growth has been great with my Cheato doubling in size in two weeks from the size of a tennis ball. Very happy so far...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00XC3LBI2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Getting tons of algae growth in the fuge (Hair, etc), should I toss a couple snails in there to keep the nuisance stuff under control?

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had lousy luck with those 'budget' bulbs/fixtures off Amazon/Ebay. They either don't work out of the box, or only last a few months before the flickering begins. Hope you have better luck; and if you do, I'm buying one .....

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mars Hydro have one of the better reputations for these inexpensive Chinese grow LED's.

I have an inexpensive 2x 24" T5 unit that I bought off of Amazon over my ref. Been solid for what, 7 months now?

Hopefully, given some time, the chaeto will out-compete the GHA and whatnot. I'd scrape it out, as much as I can, and see if it goes on it's own. Putting an algae eating cleanup crew into a macro algae sump seems a bad idea to me... I like a sump monster... giant emerald crab, small rock crab, something like that, to help break up pooling debris in the ref, but snails? No, thanks.

OP
OP
OverHauler

OverHauler

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had lousy luck with those 'budget' bulbs/fixtures off Amazon/Ebay. They either don't work out of the box, or only last a few months before the flickering begins. Hope you have better luck; and if you do, I'm buying one .....

I'll keep this thread up to date on how things are going and let you know if I run into any issues...

Mars Hydro have one of the better reputations for these inexpensive Chinese grow LED's.
I have an inexpensive 2x 24" T5 unit that I bought off of Amazon over my ref. Been solid for what, 7 months now?

Hopefully, given some time, the chaeto will out-compete the GHA and whatnot. I'd scrape it out, as much as I can, and see if it goes on it's own. Putting an algae eating cleanup crew into a macro algae sump seems a bad idea to me... I like a sump monster... giant emerald crab, small rock crab, something like that, to help break up pooling debris in the ref, but snails? No, thanks.

I like the idea of a sump monster, maybe a large arrow crab?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 38.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back