Green Bird Wrasse Issue, please help ID

momars

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,

Can I please get some help in ID what happened to my Green Bird Wrasse?

It was all OK till Saturday, I was not home on Sunday & Monday. Checked today and found this spot.
It is active, eats well, roams around all day, rests/sleep on its spot as usual.
All other fishes are normal too.

No expert here but feels like some injury.

About the Tank: FOWLR
16m old.
150G
1 Green Bird Wrasse & 2 clownfish - added 11 months ago
1 Emperor Angel & 1 Gobi (Diamond) - added close to 4 months ago.

Parameters are good with exception to Nitrates 40ppm ( Will work on bringing them down).

Thanks

IMG20231106213129.jpg

Last edited:

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a mated pair of bird wrasses, and they are super active and blinding fast speed across my reef. They bounce of things here and there. I would bet on that being a collision with the rock work from chasing and swimming. You're are really going to want to watch for a secondary infection there. Good luck, I love my birds !!!!!

OP
OP
M

momars

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a mated pair of bird wrasses, and they are super active and blinding fast speed across my reef. They bounce of things here and there. I would bet on that being a collision with the rock work from chasing and swimming. You're are really going to want to watch for a secondary infection there. Good luck, I love my birds !!!!!
Thank you for the input.
Exactly, its the Schumacher of my tank lol and at time scares the hell out of me.

Anything I can do to help it heal or prevent an infection?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,

Can I please get some help in ID what happened to my Green Bird Wrasse?

It was all OK till Saturday, I was not home on Sunday & Monday. Checked today and found this spot.
It is active, eats well, roams around all day, rests/sleep on its spot as usual.
All other fishes are normal too.

No expert here but feels like some injury.

About the Tank: FOWLR
16m old.
150G
1 Green Bird Wrasse & 2 clownfish - added 11 months ago
1 Emperor Angel & 1 Gobi (Diamond) - added close to 4 months ago.

Parameters are good with exception to Nitrates 40ppm ( Will work on bringing them down).

Thanks

IMG20231106213129.jpg

That does look like an injury to me as well. The only thing I can't tell is if there is a secondary bacterial infection in play...it certainly is a large and deep wound.

As long as it doesn't have any other symptoms, I wouldn't rush to treat it (because that would require antibiotics in a hospital tank). Just watch for it not feeding well, acting lethargic or breathing rapidly.

Jay

OP
OP
M

momars

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That does look like an injury to me as well. The only thing I can't tell is if there is a secondary bacterial infection in play...it certainly is a large and deep wound.

As long as it doesn't have any other symptoms, I wouldn't rush to treat it (because that would require antibiotics in a hospital tank). Just watch for it not feeding well, acting lethargic or breathing rapidly.

Jay
Thank you Jay,

So far, its being very normal and ate everything in no time (as always) and continuing its never ending east - west run.

Will this heal over period of time or would need medication help assuming its a wound and not any bacterial play?
Coz, I have no medication on hand and in Canada its hard to get one immediately. In case needed, which meds should I have it on hand?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you Jay,

So far, its being very normal and ate everything in no time (as always) and continuing its never ending east - west run.

Will this heal over period of time or would need medication help assuming its a wound and not any bacterial play?
Coz, I have no medication on hand and in Canada its hard to get one immediately. In case needed, which meds should I have it on hand?
Scale injuries can take months to heal (new scales need to grow( and the sometimes leave scars.
You won’t easily find antibiotics in Canada, so fingers crossed that it doesn’t become infected.
Jay

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 12.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 89 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.1%
Back