Green bubble tip not looking as good

callen.haines

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, I got this anemone around 2 weeks ago he found a good spot in the middle of an opening in my rock and was super big, extending plump bubble tips and looked amazing nothing has changed and he’s small and shriveling up now, my tank is fluval 13.5 with xr15 lighting and good flow with a nero pump any tips?

IMG_4129.jpeg

OP
OP
callen.haines

callen.haines

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here’s a photo my dad sent me to show me how dirty my tank was while i was at school but you can see he looks way happier

Attachments

• IMG_4130.png
    IMG_4130.png
    674 KB · Views: 32

Head Case

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We’re still figuring ours out. It’s found a spot it likes but swells and deflates and completely closes on itself every day. I think it is still getting acclimated, puked zooxanthellae a couple times but is settling down …except for the mood swings ,lol

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably need to post parameters along with tank age to see if anything stands out. They do better in mature tanks. Mine like dirtier water around PO4 0.3 and 15-20 NO3 seems to make them happy. That said it's not uncommon for them to deflate for a while. They do strange things sometimes.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, I got this anemone around 2 weeks ago he found a good spot in the middle of an opening in my rock and was super big, extending plump bubble tips and looked amazing nothing has changed and he’s small and shriveling up now, my tank is fluval 13.5 with xr15 lighting and good flow with a nero pump any tips?

Things are always changing in a tank; nutrients come up, elements get consumed and even T5 bulbs have a limited usable life as they deteriorate over time.

In my experience, issues such as this with anemones sometimes comes down to low alkalinity. If flow or lighting was the issue, the anemone would relocate to an area of the tank more suitable for its needs.

What is your alkalinity measurement?

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here’s a photo my dad sent me to show me how dirty my tank was while i was at school but you can see he looks way happier

He looks okay.

I lost many anemones in my first years of keeping a tank. And they often looked that way right before they shrivel up to looking like a wad of bubble gum.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand that Inflation and deflation of the anemone is normal behavior as it is how the anemone will export waste.

OP
OP
callen.haines

callen.haines

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably need to post parameters along with tank age to see if anything stands out. They do better in mature tanks. Mine like dirtier water around PO4 0.3 and 15-20 NO3 seems to make them happy. That said it's not uncommon for them to deflate for a while. They do strange things sometimes.
The tank is about 2 years old and to be completely honest I haven't tested parameters in a while, maybe I should go out and get some test kits?

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is about 2 years old and to be completely honest I haven't tested parameters in a while, maybe I should go out and get some test kits?

Yes!

Appreciate your honesty; you'd be surprised how often people won't admit this.

Can you go to a local fish store and ask them to test a sample? This will allow you to take more immediate action as opposed to waiting for your test kits to come in.

I'd be interested in knowing your salinity as this impacts other chemistry. Also Nitrates and Phosphates numbers along with Alkalinity.

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes!

Can you go to a local fish store and ask them to test a sample? This will allow you to take more immediate action as opposed to waiting for your test kits to come in.

I'd be interested in knowing your salinity as this impacts other chemistry. Also Nitrates and Phosphates numbers along with Alkalinity.
do you know the Salinity?

OP
OP
callen.haines

callen.haines

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes!

Oh yes I test my salinity its 1.025 just not the other parameters.. I have a few test kits.. One salifert nitrate kit that expired in 2022, A calcium kit that expires 11-2024 and last a salifert carbonate hard-ness/alkalinity test kit that expired 06-2024. Should I test the alk and sent a photo?

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh yes I test my salinity its 1.025 just not the other parameters.. I have a few test kits.. One salifert nitrate kit that expired in 2022, A calcium kit that expires 11-2024 and last a salifert carbonate hard-ness/alkalinity test kit that expired 06-2024. Should I test the alk and sent a photo?

Yes.

It would appear that the Alkalinity reagent is nearing expiration. Certainly no harm in using it as long as it isn't expired.

You can post a photo if you like, but please realize that the color you see may not be what someone else sees. Not to mention color changes made from auto correction.

I trust your judgement. Test and let us know.

OP
OP
callen.haines

callen.haines

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes.

It would appear that the Alkalinity reagent is nearing expiration. Certainly no harm in using it as long as it isn't expired.

You can post a photo if you like, but please realize that the color you see may not be what someone else sees. Not to mention color changes made from auto correction.

I trust your judgement. Test and let us know.
Haven’t tested yet i’m at my fish store now, should i try to feed it as well?

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven’t tested yet i’m at my fish store now, should i try to feed it as well?

I think we should slow down a bit.

You're currently at the fish store getting your water tested? Lets see what results you get from them; we can go from there.

No, I wouldn't try to feed it in the current state. It seems stressed. When was the last time you were stressed about something and was able to eat? ;) So no, don't feed. They are filter feeders, so, it will pick up some nourishment along the way.

Also, I think you should stop additives temporarily. Lets check your chemistry and make any necessary adjustments before we begin adding any product to the tank.

Also, I would set myself up with a water change station. It doesn't have to be big. 20% of your tank's total volume is between 2.5 and 3 gallons. I've always relied on 20% weekly water changes to keep my small tanks stable.

OP
OP
callen.haines

callen.haines

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You're currently at the fish store getting your water tested? Lets see what results you get from them; we can go from there.

No, I wouldn't try to feed it in the current state. It seems stressed. When was the last time you were stressed about something and was able to eat? ;) So no, don't feed. They are filter feeders, so, it will pick up some nourishment along the way.

Also, I think you should stop additives temporarily. Lets check your chemistry and make any necessary adjustments before we begin adding any product to the tank.

Also, I would set myself up with a water change station. It doesn't have to be big. 20% of your tank's total volume is between 2.5 and 3 gallons. I've always relied on 20% weekly water changes to keep my small tanks stable.
Its been a bit longer now he seems to be looking a little bit better ill send some pictures, I turned the light intensity down just a little

OP
OP
callen.haines

callen.haines

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Also I dont add any additives to the tank as it is

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 39 83.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 6.4%
Back