Green Chromis mouth issue...Halp!

purple_jeep

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

So I ordered in a set of Green Chromis for my new 120G reef Tank (was after 7 but when my gf went to pick them up they only had 5 plus one dead one in the tank left) my GF picked up the 5 and brought them home. They went straight into a copper power treated quarantine tank (I usually dip in RO and then 50/50 RO/saltwater prior to putting into the quarantine but my RO was really cold as we had a cold snap here).

One of them does not look very happy with something around his mouth, I am not sure if it is an injury or some sort of disease etc? What do you all think? I would usually do prazi pro after copper but should I be taking this guy out and doing something else with him?

PXL_20221103_200027234.jpg

Cheers

Chris

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Does its mouth open and close normally? Is the fish breathing quickly/eating/etc - any bullying?

OP
OP
purple_jeep

purple_jeep

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
His mouth seems to open and close fine although obviously its hard to see what is his mouth at this point with all that stuff there.

No bullying I can see, they have only been in quarantine 2 days but I have not seen him eat a ton but he has eaten some.

Also and possibly important, we got the fish Wed night (took me a little bit to post here my bad) and this morning one of the others which appeared to be health prior was lying on the bottom of the QT dead.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
His mouth seems to open and close fine although obviously its hard to see what is his mouth at this point with all that stuff there.

No bullying I can see, they have only been in quarantine 2 days but I have not seen him eat a ton but he has eaten some.

Also and possibly important, we got the fish Wed night (took me a little bit to post here my bad) and this morning one of the others which appeared to be health prior was lying on the bottom of the QT dead.
Bacterial issue causing mouth rot. Not typical with this type of fish, but in this hobby, what is typical ?
I appears it can breathe normal and I assume with trouble eating. If eating brine shrimp will be one it can suck in.
Treatment is of essence and your best bet IN Quarantine setting is seachem Neoplex which is a mild antinbiotic which addresses mouth rot
This is generally stemmed by injury /injury from fighting or open sore

OP
OP
purple_jeep

purple_jeep

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! So that treatment is ok with Copper Power (2.6 dose)?

I ordered some same day delivery so I should get it tonight.

OP
OP
purple_jeep

purple_jeep

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately he passed when I was on the way home to dose the treatment, is there any value in treating the tank now? could he have passed it to the other fish in the QT?

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 3 5.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 46 82.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.4%
Back