Green Film Algae Advice!

Reeferdood

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stupid question... i ask alot of them... hahahhaha! Whats the best way to clean it off the glass??? I scrub... scrub... scrub... and I cannot get it off the glass...
Magfloat with scraper attachment! :D
PS... The only stupid questions are the ones you don't ask..;)

EAsalty

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tunze care magnet- expensive, but cuts through algae like a knife through warm butter.

Harris3005

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tunze care magnet- expensive, but cuts through algae like a knife through warm butter.

+1 It's a great bit of kit! Worth the wee bit extra you'll pay for the bigger ones.

On a side note I think I just accidentally hit report post on this instead of quote post so I'm really sorry, admins please ignore!

Jongalt26

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only clean my glass 1x per week as well. As mentioned before the Tunze magnet is excellent, especially the metal blade. Mr. Clean Original magic erasers are great for the stubborn algae, seams and other hard to clean places.
I run GFO, carbon and dose kalkwasser, the GFO and Carbon pull out phosphates while a marinepure block keeps my nitrates in check.
Algae growth will also pull out phosphates to even a very low reading doesn't mean your display has no phosphates, they were just previously consumed.

A month ish ago i started using Vibrant aquarium cleaner and that is definitely reducing the amount of glass algae as well.

Happy fishdicking!
Jason

DED65

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've Been really considering trying the new Vibrant!
I have been dosing Vibrant for a little over 3 weeks for Bubble and Bryopsis. It is making a big change in the algae. Keeps the glass from being cleaned every day down to once a week. Check out the thread on this, 39 pages with lots of positive results!

djd3mon

Reefing since 2016!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So let me get this straight saltwater aquarium, reef tank, fowlr will never be truly algae free no matter what you do and who you are?

Some of the photos I see look so nice, its good to know they have algae in there somewhere, lol

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So let me get this straight saltwater aquarium, reef tank, fowlr will never be truly algae free no matter what you do and who you are?

Some of the photos I see look so nice, its good to know they have algae in there somewhere, lol
eh, kinda. it comes and goes esp as the tank ages. plus You want to make sure you never introduce it to the system, almost nobody seems to qt corals anymore and only use bayer. that doesn't kill algae.
the green algae is a bit of a fact of life, but once the system balances and with good husbandry and food choices it can be done.

but yea there's usually some algae in there.

mah0031

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I quit feeding frozen fish food every day now only about ever other day or two dry gradual food the other days. Drastically reduced amount of algae on the glass??

OP
OP
Chiefmaster30

Chiefmaster30

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed flakes one day light feedings in the mornings and good feeding at night, the next day I feed light flake feeding in morning and a cube of frozen mysis that night. This has been my feeding schedule the entire 9 months being a reefer.

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ik its a bit late, but yeah its not possible to keep a reef tank and NOT have film algae. Its just too common, and you cant exactly get rid of it forever. Just scrape, scrape, and then scrub.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 20 34.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 12.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 19 32.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 11 19.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.7%
Back