Green Gig experiance

rds85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am now working on 1 month with housing a green gig. Thank you @Nemguy123.

Thought I would share my experience so far. Survival post the 6 month mark is when I will feel at ease with this nem.

Gig is the first inhabitant of the reef when it comes to coral/inverts ( besides CUC). Thought process was to ensure it can find a adequate spot to lively happily with minimal movement. No other corals will be on his island for weeks if not several months.

Mine has already been through it's power head stage trying to find a more suitable spot. Now it is healing hopefully onto a more permanent spot which is never guaranteed.

Arrival date: July 28th
Gig 1.jpeg

Initial week:
Gig 2.jpeg

End of first week: Power head incident
Gig 3.jpeg

Healing week 1:
Gig 4.jpeg

Healing week 2:
Gig 5.jpeg

I will get the real camera out once he is fully healed up and ready to be photo genetic

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great! I've got to add one of these to my anemone collection someday

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good! I think the gig will be fine.

Since your tank is relatively new, I expect the gig to wander a bit until your tank stabilizes. My advice these days is to keep an eye on coralline. Once it starts to take off, the tank is typically ready for anemones (and in your case, expect the gig to stop wandering).

Because of this, I also recommend purchasing one of the 3D printed "nem guards" available from various retailers and generic versions on eBay. Look for ones that create a space either between the wall of the MP40 wetside or are a direct replacement for the wetside cover. The goal is to have the anemone stick to the guard, but not get sucked in. The foam guards at come with the MP40s allow the nem to get too close to the impeller, and one tentacle getting stuck can pull enough of the nem into to wetside to kill it. However, as long as the mouth or foot aren't damaged, the gig can recover.

OP
OP
rds85

rds85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good! I think the gig will be fine.

Since your tank is relatively new, I expect the gig to wander a bit until your tank stabilizes. My advice these days is to keep an eye on coralline. Once it starts to take off, the tank is typically ready for anemones (and in your case, expect the gig to stop wandering).

Because of this, I also recommend purchasing one of the 3D printed "nem guards" available from various retailers and generic versions on eBay. Look for ones that create a space either between the wall of the MP40 wetside or are a direct replacement for the wetside cover. The goal is to have the anemone stick to the guard, but not get sucked in. The foam guards at come with the MP40s allow the nem to get too close to the impeller, and one tentacle getting stuck can pull enough of the nem into to wetside to kill it. However, as long as the mouth or foot aren't damaged, the gig can recover.

The gig seems to be 95% recovered now!

I actually have the nem guards on order, just haven't arrived yet.

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The gig seems to be 95% recovered now!

I actually have the nem guards on order, just haven't arrived yet.
Great!

My green and purple gigs have both gotten a "haircut" from my Gyres and MP40s. Both have fully recovered. My Gyres have NemProtects on them and my MP40s have the generic eBay covers.

chizerbunoi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those shelves are perfect for Sps or even better, magnifica!

I love your setup. Very beautiful design with the cabinet space and to be able to eat there everyday. Priceless.

fcmatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome tank. So spacious looking. The shelf in one pic made me think you had like an 8 inch sand bed and my thought was he is such a rebel. now days Dsb kinda out of style

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 21 15.0%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 65 46.4%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 47 33.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back