Green Killing Machine

sksouthpaw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,
As some may have seen in a previous post, I found out I had Dinos in my tank today after becoming suspicious of a worsening (what I thought was hair algae prior) dino infestation after doing two consecutive water changes and waking up to find the “algae” worsening.

subsequently I have stopped skimming, put whites to 0%, blues to 25% and began overfeeding a little bit. Will also pull my chemipure too..
I also cheapened out a little bit and picked up a 24w green killing machine UV at petco for 75$. I probably should have put this to better use on a BRS 15w uv but i dont have the extra 200$ to spend on it right now. Keeping in mind that I am using for algae specifically dino’s, has anyone had any success with these “hobby” grade Green Killing Machines?
thanks!
(heres a couple dino pics (video uploads wont work)

728E47B6-1ACE-4172-9C7D-F14321AC171E.jpeg

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,
As some may have seen in a previous post, I found out I had Dinos in my tank today after becoming suspicious of a worsening (what I thought was hair algae prior) dino infestation after doing two consecutive water changes and waking up to find the “algae” worsening.

subsequently I have stopped skimming, put whites to 0%, blues to 25% and began overfeeding a little bit. Will also pull my chemipure too..
I also cheapened out a little bit and picked up a 24w green killing machine UV at petco for 75$. I probably should have put this to better use on a BRS 15w uv but i dont have the extra 200$ to spend on it right now. Keeping in mind that I am using for algae specifically dino’s, has anyone had any success with these “hobby” grade Green Killing Machines?
thanks!
(heres a couple dino pics (video uploads wont work)

728E47B6-1ACE-4172-9C7D-F14321AC171E.jpeg
Be aware.... https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/high-antimony-found-on-triton-icp.690396/
Not sure if they have changed their impellers or not.. I wouldn't risk it personally, and source another.

Jdadams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’ll be fine to address the problem for now and when you get your tank back stable and Dino free upgrade to a better one if you plan on running one long term. Aqua ultraviolet is a pretty good brand

OP
OP
sksouthpaw

sksouthpaw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’ll be fine to address the problem for now and when you get your tank back stable and Dino free upgrade to a better one if you plan on running one long term. Aqua ultraviolet is a pretty good brand
Thats actually the brand I had been looking at, Sounds like a good plan

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Siberwulf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I hadn't seen that before. It's a frequently used model for dinos, as it's the kind you can usually run out and find at petco etc.
It's what I'm using. First ICP went out last week.. I'll reply back here with any results. It'd been running for a month prior, so that's timing context.

Siberwulf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
sksouthpaw

sksouthpaw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got my results back. It looks like there was NO Antimony in there...

Awesome!!! @MissMermaid and I have had ours running for 4 days now, 0% whites, 25% blues, no water changes, overfeeding, with skimmer off. The only thing I did do is leave my chemipure elite in just for a little protection just in case I over fed too much. The tank looks great. The first couple days I used the turkey baster to clean off the back panel and rocks to get the dinos into the water column to let the UV do its work. But havent seen any since. My zoas are opened back up, I no longer have any dinos growing on my chaeto. Crossing my fingers Im beating this. I may do an H202 dose tonight. Any downsides to adding some in? Will it affect chaeto/coralline ? I wanted to try without adding in any chemicals

OP
OP
sksouthpaw

sksouthpaw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So update, replaced filter pads yesterday, soaked my chemipure in distilled water for about 5 hours to clean it off and hopefully remove any dinos that may have nested in there. Today is my first day in the past 6 days running whites, albeit a reduced duration (5% for 4 hours) plan on increasing back up to my usual 50% white over the course of the next two weeks. I also increased my blues to 35% and again will continue to do so over the next 2 weeks to get back up to my previous 80%.
I have been overfeeding and keeping track of nitrates (in the 10-20ppm) range. Still keeping my chemipure, in hopes if I over feed a little too much, this will help prevent massive nutrient spikes. I have also kept my skimmer off but do plan for the next week or so to turn on as needed. This goes against everything ive learned with reefing but the tank as of now is looking great. No snail die offs that I can see, my juvenile trochus snails that were born in tank still seem to be doing ok, zoas have completely opened back up and fish seem to be loving the increased feeds (obviously). GKM 24w still running and that really made a noticeable difference overnight when I added it last Sunday. I plan to keep this going, but will eventually find a way to fit it in to the rear “sump” of the AIO so its not an eye sore in the DT.
I think the real test of efficacy will come now as I start to reintroduce whites back into the lighting cycle. So far, every sample I have taken has yielded no visible Dino’s under microscope so keeping my fingers crossed. I did purchase some microbacter7 which should be in next week and plan to dose that as well.
I will update this in another week or so for anyone following.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used GKM for probably over a year for dinos, after seeing the posts about impellers I took mine apart but it looked pretty good, tank never appeared to have any issues either. Just my experience. Worked great on dinos

OP
OP
sksouthpaw

sksouthpaw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used GKM for probably over a year for dinos, after seeing the posts about impellers I took mine apart but it looked pretty good, tank never appeared to have any issues either. Just my experience. Worked great on dinos
So far im impressed, and with petco’s 20% off its 1/4 the price of the “industrial grades” and no plumbing required which is also nice.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah the no plumbing is what I like. If the expensive brands had a drop in sump model like these I would try them too. Aquatop has hob UV that have worked well for me and my friends on smaller tanks and I picked up their in sump model but it’s not as powerful as the gkm wattage.

OP
OP
sksouthpaw

sksouthpaw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah the no plumbing is what I like. If the expensive brands had a drop in sump model like these I would try them too. Aquatop has hob UV that have worked well for me and my friends on smaller tanks and I picked up their in sump model but it’s not as powerful as the gkm wattage.
I had seen the same on BRS and came close to pulling trigger but after more research on the gkm for my intended purpose being dino control, rather than parasite population control etc the price was too good to pass. I would definitely consider the aquatop down the line though, that did look intriguing. I think it was a 15 watt if I remember correctly which again the gkm being 24 had the advantage for my purpose.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had seen the same on BRS and came close to pulling trigger but after more research on the gkm for my intended purpose being dino control, rather than parasite population control etc the price was too good to pass. I would definitely consider the aquatop down the line though, that did look intriguing. I think it was a 15 watt if I remember correctly which again the gkm being 24 had the advantage for my purpose.
Yeah AT is less power and a bit more money. Thankfully dinos seem to be ultra susceptible to UV so it’s been working fine in my ~150g setup. My new LFS had the AT in stock and I wanted to support them so that’s the main reason I went that route this time. Retired the GKM as a backup.

MPCReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just put a GKM 24W in my display to try to knock back a small bout of dinos and algae. Anyone have any ideas how to quiet the outlet and minimize splashing? I'm assuming the outlet needs to be above the water line, but it is causing a lot of noise and splash. Thanks.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back