Green Mandarin Dragonet

Bgough526

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I bought a GMD from my lfs 2 days ago. I have a well established 15g reef tank, I’ve been doing thorough research for about 2 years on how to keep them and actually owning one is stressing me out lol. Even though I populated my tank with a bottle of tiger copepods 2 days ago, I cannot tell if my copepod population is established enough to sustain him. I turned the middle of my sump into a mini refigium today hoping that the copepods will breed successfully. And I am trying to teach him to eat frozen baby brine shrimp and fish eggs with entice and phytoplankton. Any suggestions as to how I can keep him successfully or make sure that he is doing ok?

Spyndera99

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually have a mandarin that eats mysis in a 20g. My suggestion is just to be patient. start with copepods and then slowly start feeding other things.

OP
OP
Bgough526

Bgough526

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have you had him? And how did you train him to eat frozen food?

Spyndera99

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Slowly but surely, you can get the mandarin to eat the mysis. Just feed that to the other fish. One more thing, it works for SOME mandarins. For others, it doesn't. It all depends on the mandarin in question.

ninjamyst

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck. If your mandarin is not eating pellets, you gonna go broke buying pods every month for the fish. I doubt your small tank can sustain a pod population long term for it.

RedSeaReefer1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I seeded my tank with close to 100,000 copepods in my regugium. I have 3 copepod only eaters and they all do very well. I recommend you invest properly in them so your fish don’t die. You should have a bigger tank for copepod eaters….

Back