Green SPS coral id please!

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So 3 or so months ago I purchased a healthy green acro frag with no name. The lfs employee (smart enough guy) suggested it might be a Stuper frag. Upon my own research, I discovered that a Stuper stag coral was not only Brownish in color with blue tips but it was really the 1st successful sps frag decades ago to survive in a reef aquarium. Cool info but still no id? Would really appreciate your help. I may be wrong but I’m presently counting out green slimers. Again thx.
628A0479-5A8D-4FC0-A25C-7961024F889B.jpeg

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a fellow AZ reefer I recognize this coral. It is not a milli. It is the Aquarium Arts stag. I have tried to figure out what this is for years and have never seen anything like it. It is extremely hardy and easy to grow.

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a fellow AZ reefer I recognize this coral. It is not a milli. It is the Aquarium Arts stag. I have tried to figure out what this is for years and have never seen anything like it. It is extremely hardy and easy to grow.
All this time, I thought it was a slimer or something. I have this exact coral.
I see it's also known as the Electric Staghorn.

SamMule

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could it be A. AlbroHosensis?

I have one that is very similar, and that's what I'm starting to suspect. Staghorn like growth and just plain furry.

1627328294487753773922909653504.jpg

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It just might be AlbroHosensis this is the closest I have found.

Regardless. It is an outstandingly hardy acro. Even tougher than something like an og green slimmer. I would love to have it in some other color varieties.

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It just might be AlbroHosensis this is the closest I have found.

Regardless. It is an outstandingly hardy acro. Even tougher than something like an og green slimmer. I would love to have it in some other color varieties.
They are also fast growers, once they decide to start growing. I had one frag take about 6 months before it decided to grow.
I can attest to how hardy they are. I brought this one back from the dead.
Here's a before and after pic:
IMG_1021.JPEG
IMG_1759.JPEG

IMG_1020.JPEG
IMG_1739.JPEG

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to work at Aquarium Arts where this coral originated. Years ago we had a large 2.5-3ft colony in the 800 gallon display even through many mistakes this strain has survived for over a decade in the AZ area. We sold so many frags from it that there has to be a bunch out there. From my brief research of A. AlbroHosensis this was one of the first acro species to be imported into the US in large numbers because it was so tough. It has lost popularity due to a lack of color. I see it also comes in some blue varieties as well. Not sure weather the green or blue is rarer but the green is all over AZ.

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to work at Aquarium Arts where this coral originated. Years ago we had a large 2.5-3ft colony in the 800 gallon display even through many mistakes this strain has survived for over a decade in the AZ area. We sold so many frags from it that there has to be a bunch out there. From my brief research of A. AlbroHosensis this was one of the first acro species to be imported into the US in large numbers because it was so tough. It has lost popularity due to a lack of color. I see it also comes in some blue varieties as well. Not sure weather the green or blue is rarer but the green is all over AZ.
Lack of color? This thing is crazy BRIGHT green, and the growth tips are an orange color. I love the color and how fuzzy it is. Not sure why anyone would hate it. Especially as hardy and how fast it grows.
Now I know why it was just some random bleached out frag I found for $10 at The Ocean Floor.

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lack of color? This thing is crazy BRIGHT green, and the growth tips are an orange color. I love the color and how fuzzy it is. Not sure why anyone would hate it. Especially as hardy and how fast it grows.
Now I know why it was just some random bleached out frag I found for $10 at The Ocean Floor.
Compared to a green slimer or green millis it is a more dark forest green. Regardless I like it and it is really cool.

OP
OP
Glenner’sreef

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
T-J and Monteman and SamMule, you guys are ROCKSTARS!!! Definitely yes bought it from Aquarium Arts. I’ve had it for 3 or 4 months and it’s doing quite well. I didn’t expect to get such a close and familiar id of this coral. So what’s the overall consensus: Electric Staghorn or AlbroHosensis? Either way, I’m going to research it as well. Many, many thanks! It would be great to meet you guys some day.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 20.6%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 28 82.4%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 20.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Other

Votes: 2 5.9%
Back