Green star polyp help

rhance

View Badges
Reaction score
Hi I recently purchased an aquaknight aquarium light for my 10 gallon tank which was an upgrade from my old stock light. I have 2 gsps and one clownfish in the tank but my gsps are not open at all. When I had it on the 100% blue setting a few days ago they were out a decent amount but now on the same setting they are totally closed up. They are near the top of my tank and I have a wave pump near them too. My ten-gallon tank has been set up since December but I have had the GSPs for 3 years, previously in a 5 gallon tank. The salinity is 1.023 ammonia nitrate and nitrite 0ppm. Any suggestions on getting them to open up and grow? Thank you!

Last edited:

andrewey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Which aquaknight light do you have? Do you have a picture of your setup and/or the GSP? Can you provide more information about the age of your tank, the age of the frag, and any water tests you've run.

Edit,@canadianeh nailed it!

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
As already said we really need a full set of water parameters including nitrate and phosphate levels and pictures are also very helpful If you can provide one.

OP
R

rhance

View Badges
Reaction score
Edit:
My ten-gallon tank has been set up since December but I have had the GSPs for 3 years, previously in a 5 gallon tank. The salinity is 1.023 ammonia nitrate and nitrite 0ppm. The aquaknight light I have is the A029
Some pictures:
image4.jpeg
image3.jpeg
image2 (3).jpeg

andrewey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I'd bet dollars to donuts that if you were to reduce the intensity of the light and let the corals recover, they would come out in time. That's an extremely strong light to have at 100% that close to the corals- I think you shocked them with too much light. I would lower the intensity a ton, then make incremental changes slowly. They will need time to recover- thankfully they're pretty hardy little guys.

It's a thousand times easier to kill a coral with too much light then too little. In the future, whenever you have a new LED light, set it on a very low setting (assuming you don't have a PAR meter handy) and ramp up very very slowly. I would probably never run that blue channel at 100% anyway given the height of the light and depth of water.

LardLad

View Badges
Reaction score
Second what johniejumbo said. Ive had them close for 3 or 4 days at a time with no clear reason. The one thing that has put a hurting on my GSP was crabs.

Everyone has different experiences but I had crabs that killed my beautiful Tubiporas and then murdered a mile of GSP. They live "elsewhere" now.

LardLad

View Badges
Reaction score
BTW. I love the tree ornament in your tank.
I want to find one of those ones from the 70s that is the diver with the treasure chest that bubbles.
Now that just brings a lot of class to a tank.:D

Bosreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Might havw something to do with that PH pointed directly at it.....
Just not happy at the moment its gsp its bullet proof.
Try either lights or flow but not at the same time.

OP
R

rhance

View Badges
Reaction score
Haha thank you. And yes totally support the diver with the treasure chest that bubbles that would be classy

The guppy guru

View Badges
Reaction score
Hi I recently purchased an aquaknight aquarium light for my 10 gallon tank which was an upgrade from my old stock light. I have 2 gsps and one clownfish in the tank but my gsps are not open at all. When I had it on the 100% blue setting a few days ago they were out a decent amount but now on the same setting they are totally closed up. They are near the top of my tank and I have a wave pump near them too. My ten-gallon tank has been set up since December but I have had the GSPs for 3 years, previously in a 5 gallon tank. The salinity is 1.023 ammonia nitrate and nitrite 0ppm. Any suggestions on getting them to open up and grow? Thank you!
Do you think that the clownfish might be irritating the gsp that is what happened to my gsp, if not than maybe the corals just don’t like something in the water. Yet again my gsp died without anything wrong with it, this could just be down to the individual specimen, or it has a parasite.

The guppy guru

View Badges
Reaction score
Edit:
My ten-gallon tank has been set up since December but I have had the GSPs for 3 years, previously in a 5 gallon tank. The salinity is 1.023 ammonia nitrate and nitrite 0ppm. The aquaknight light I have is the A029
Some pictures:
image4.jpeg
image3.jpeg
image2 (3).jpeg
The salinity is a bit lower than what you would have in a reef but I doubt it could be that. Your other parameters don’t look particularly spotty.

The guppy guru

View Badges
Reaction score
The salinity is a bit lower than what you would have in a reef but I doubt it could be that. Your other parameters don’t look particularly spotty.
Re stating actually your parameters are quiet good. Other parameters would be useful such as calcium alkalinity and magnesium, as well as other trace elements could help you figure out the problem.

The guppy guru

View Badges
Reaction score
Second what johniejumbo said. Ive had them close for 3 or 4 days at a time with no clear reason. The one thing that has put a hurting on my GSP was crabs.

Everyone has different experiences but I had crabs that killed my beautiful Tubiporas and then murdered a mile of GSP. They live "elsewhere" now.
And that’s why I don’t trust crabs.

How many ways are you filtering (natural & mechanical) your aquarium?

• 0 (I think it's possible)

Votes: 2 0.4%
  • 1 - 2 ways

Votes: 114 21.7%
  • 3 - 4 ways

Votes: 270 51.3%
  • 5 - 6 ways

Votes: 113 21.5%
  • 7 - 8 ways

Votes: 21 4.0%
  • 9 - 10 ways

Votes: 3 0.6%
  • 11+ ways

Votes: 3 0.6%

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors
VarioS: Return Pump. Skimmer Pump. Reactor Pump.