Green Star Polyp Placement

CarChase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can GSP be placed higher up in the tank with higher flows and moderate light? If so what is the best way to acclimate them to these conditions?

tdileo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can honestly just plop the anywhere with no acclimation and they’ll do good. Mine look their best under a minimum of 100 PAR and enough flow so that they are constantly waving, and pretty hard at that.

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have it climbing up a back wall, and have to cut some away every now and then. Pretty easy to do. Just use a sharp knife or scalpel to make an incision where you want the new margin to be, then just peel the unwanted tissue away, it comes off the glass easily, like a thin sheet of rubber. (Doesn't come off rocks so easily.)

jd371

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had mine on the main rocks before I knew better. Lucky I didn't glue the rocks together and I was able to remove the rock with the GSP on it and isolate it in the corner. It has since started to spread on the back glass, but it's easier to remove from there if I need to.

sponge

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
46BOWREEF2100_zps22d8e8c4.jpg
When I had them I placed it on the bottom . It gave me the appearance of having a lawn on the sand .Easier to trim the growth.

OP
OP
C

CarChase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is less than 6 months old and not much is growing yet. Having something grow "to fast" seems like a good problem to have. But I will keep an eye on the GSP and move them when necessary.

sponge

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I now have a HUGE colony of the purple star polops that has taken over much of all my rock I still have in that tank . Another fast grower are Xenia .Now saying that , these two different type of coral have over taken other nice frags I had . I'm glad I run more than one tank . It's growing up the back glass now since this picture.I'm going to need to trim it up .
001_zps1fjqagns.jpg

OP
OP
C

CarChase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow amazing growth. What type of coral is the round green polyps that are also on the back wall?

sponge

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the center are shrooms,to the right are zoa's .The xenia also grew on the glass. I no longer am keeping xenia . Maybe if I go with a softie only tank I'll reacquire them . I've lost many of these other pieces from over growth . Just keep it trimmed and it should stay under control IMO .

Oldreefer44

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put mine isolated on the back wall in very high flow just to slow down the growth. Agree with others that they will grow just about anywhere and can very quickly become a pest.

Saltyanimals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure we've all heard our share of warnings for GSP and Xenias. Great at first then you'll regret putting them in your tank on a piece that isn't completely isolated. i.e. island

As for GSP. Super easy and can take any/all light and flow. I personally found that strong flow really gets them to explode in growth. I started sticking frag rocks 'down stream' from my powerhead and that encourages the GSP to grow towards the frag rocks and I simply break off pieces as it grows and give/sell/trade. The risk here is when you break off pieces inside the tank you risk having polyps coming off and settle on other rocks because of flow..then you're at risk for spreading. I wish I knew how to kill smaller patches. Kalk paste didn't work =)

sponge

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is that same rock with the PSP,when it was covered with Xenia.
DSC01274_zpspwxudclf.jpg
I had picked up a frag from another person and placed near the Xenia to do some chemical warfare on it .
DSC01267_zpsfs6hi0na.jpg
By moving that frag around the rock , I rid myself of that coral .
DSC01424_zpstglhbxrz.jpg
I do know of others that have used paste instead of another coral

Peanut

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I now have a HUGE colony of the purple star polops that has taken over much of all my rock I still have in that tank . Another fast grower are Xenia .Now saying that , these two different type of coral have over taken other nice frags I had . I'm glad I run more than one tank . It's growing up the back glass now since this picture.I'm going to need to trim it up .
001_zps1fjqagns.jpg

yeah, um..... https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/eliminating-blue-clove-polyps-with-fenbendazole.308994/

and I kind of feel the same about the gsp...dont put it in your tank, it will spread everywhere eventually and choke out your other corals

curiouser

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have it climbing up a back wall, and have to cut some away every now and then. Pretty easy to do. Just use a sharp knife or scalpel to make an incision where you want the new margin to be, then just peel the unwanted tissue away, it comes off the glass easily, like a thin sheet of rubber. (Doesn't come off rocks so easily.)

How did you get the GSP started on the back wall? Sounds like it must be beautiful.

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did you get the GSP started on the back wall? Sounds like it must be beautiful.

I propped a rock with GSP between a larger base rock and the back wall. When the GSP grew up onto the glass, I cut the rock loose and removed it. :);) Unfortunately some did also get onto the base rock, and while I wouldn't say I'm alarmed about, I do keep my eye on it, and one time wacked it back a bit when I didn't like the direction it was headed. :mad: It is quite pretty, like a wavy green wall carpet, but in my case it's partially hidden behind lots of other stuff, and I also keep it pruned as described. I have seen pictures of people's tanks whose entire back walls were overtaken with it, and while attractive, that is not for me.

IMG_4667b.jpg

Last edited:

curiouser

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I propped a rock with GSP between a larger base rock and the back wall. When the GSP grew up onto the glass, I cut the rock loose and removed it. :);) Unfortunately some did also get onto the base rock, and while I wouldn't say I'm alarmed about, I do keep my eye on it, and one time wacked it back a bit when I didn't like the direction it was headed. :mad: It is quite pretty, like a wavy green wall carpet, but in my case it's partially hidden behind lots of other stuff, and I also keep it pruned as described. I have seen pictures of people's tanks whose entire back walls were overtaken with it, and while attractive, that is not for me.

IMG_4667b.jpg

Thanks. I may give it a try. I have a lot of coralline algae on the back wall. Do you know if GSP would peel off of the coralline?
Your tank looks great with all the colors.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
No certain placement But I have found mid to lower tank best thriving area

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 2 3.7%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 3.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 3 5.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 44 81.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.6%
Back