Green star polyps on the backwall

GHOSTLY

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Situation is I want to put a colony of GSP. Problem is I don’t have glue. it’s as huge 7 inch colony for like 10 bucks. How can I get it to stick on the wall without glue?

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I set my rock that has the gsp on it up against the glass and it slowly started growing up the glass. I've actually cut the rock away from growth on the glass and started it again somewhere else on the glass the same way.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could try just propping the mat up against the glass, although I'd guess that the flow in the tank wouldn't let it stay in place. But I honestly have no idea, as I've never had gsp that wasn't attached to somehing. Maybe set it against the glass and then put a rock against the bottom of it to hold it in place (I'm not sure what effect blocking light from part of it would have though).

Just getting some superglue gel really is your best solution. It doesn't have to be specifically for corals. I just use the tubes from the dollar store.

MarshallB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried with super glue and it always failed after a few weeks. Must not bond well with glass. However, i've glued pieces in the corners of my overflow and return bulk heads and its starting to spread well. I've also seen a few people who glue it to a magnet. Leave the magnet in a place you want it to grow until it spreads over the magnet and onto the glass, cut it and reposition to spread it in multiple spots to speed up the process.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know it’s not a good idea but could I use a tac on the thinnest part of the colony to pin it?
That seems like a really bad idea, I'm also not sure what the tack is supposed to stick into to hold the gsp in place.

I tried with super glue and it always failed after a few weeks. Must not bond well with glass. However, i've glued pieces in the corners of my overflow and return bulk heads and its starting to spread well. I've also seen a few people who glue it to a magnet. Leave the magnet in a place you want it to grow until it spreads over the magnet and onto the glass, cut it and reposition to spread it in multiple spots to speed up the process.
I don't have any experience gluing it so I would take his advice over mine. I had heard of using magnets but I never knew it was because the gsp wouldn't easily stick it to the glass. I just thought it was to be able to move it and start growth in different spots, as mentioned.

MarshallB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That seems like a really bad idea, I'm also not sure what the tack is supposed to stick into to hold the gsp in place.

I don't have any experience gluing so I would take his advice over mine. I had heard of using magnets but I never knew it was because the gsp wouldn't easily stick it to the glass. I just thought it was to be able to move it and start growth in different spots, as mentioned.
It will stick to the glass just fine once it starts to grow. Like others have said if you have it on a rock that you can move, moving it right up to the glass will let it spread onto the glass. Once it attaches itself it will be fine, it's just a matter of holding it in place long enough for it to grab hold. If you give GSP a place to go, it most definitely will go there.

Gluing things is very easy. You need gel super glue. A small amount goes a long way. Put a dab on it out side of the water, then stick it where you want and hold it in place for about 30 seconds. Others have had success gluing GSP to glass, I just haven't.

Marten

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Near the Mt. that's Magic in Southern California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just get some gel super glue from the dollar store and place pea size spots on the GSP mat. I would cut the mat into smaller 1" squares and place them on the back wall. Remember that the glue will form a skin when it hits the saltwater so you are going to need to break the skin first if you want it to adhere to the back of the tank.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will stick to the glass just fine once it starts to grow. Like others have said if you have it on a rock that you can move, moving it right up to the glass will let it spread onto the glass. Once it attaches itself it will be fine, it's just a matter of holding it in place long enough for it to grab hold. If you give GSP a place to go, it most definitely will go there.

Gluing things is very easy. You need gel super glue. A small amount goes a long way. Put a dab on it out side of the water, then stick it where you want and hold it in place for about 30 seconds. Others have had success gluing GSP to glass, I just haven't.
Leaning a rock covered in gsp against the glass was the way I did it.

Franco1024

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you glue it to the back of your wall be careful with reckless turbo snails. If there is any alge on it will hang on and the weight will pull the frag off. At least in my experience that has happened 2x. Now I just layed the frag on the bottom of the back wall right in the corner between the sand and glass hopping it will start to climb up. We shall see.

OP
OP
GHOSTLY

GHOSTLY

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will supergluing the Cora straight to the wall slow growth? My turbo always hides under the sand like a inch and comes out to the rock only

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will supergluing the Cora straight to the wall slow growth? My turbo always hides under the sand like a inch and comes out to the rock only
Are you sure what you have are turbo snails? I don't think they go into the sand bed, or I guess maybe mine do and I just don't realize it.

OP
OP
GHOSTLY

GHOSTLY

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure what you have are turbo snails? I don't think they go into the sand bed, or I guess maybe mine do and I just don't realize it.
Im usually good with animal identification. I have 2 nass snails and 3 astrea snails and 1 turbo. Its definitely a turbo snail but I think as it eats the current blows it into the sand. It comes out at night to eat Algae off the glass

MarshallB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I superglued the coral directly to the plastic wall. Is that ok?
That will be fine. The glue should bond better with the plastic over the glass. It also will not inhibit growth. Give it a few weeks and you should notice it starting to spread.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 124 59.0%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 62 29.5%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 75 35.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 36 17.1%
  • Other

Votes: 62 29.5%
Back