Grey Bamboo Shark Supplier

NigeltheBold

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking into purchasing a Grey Bamboo Shark for a predator tank that I'm working on. Looks like the brown banded bamboo sharks are pretty easy to find, but I'm having trouble finding anyone that sells the Grey Bamboos. Does anyone have a source for them?

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking into purchasing a Grey Bamboo Shark for a predator tank that I'm working on. Looks like the brown banded bamboo sharks are pretty easy to find, but I'm having trouble finding anyone that sells the Grey Bamboos. Does anyone have a source for them?
I would contact the people at drreefsquarantinedfish.com

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're referring to Arabian Bamboo sharks I've never seen them in the trade anywhere.
OP is probably referring to Chiloscyllium griseum (grey bamboo shark), not Chiloscyllium arabicum (Arabian bamboo shark). ShanteshKishan on YouTube owned both species, though I have never seen either for sale, sadly.

Aspect

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
OP is probably referring to Chiloscyllium griseum (grey bamboo shark), not Chiloscyllium arabicum (Arabian bamboo shark). ShanteshKishan on YouTube owned both species, though I have never seen either for sale, sadly.
I would guess they might have dived for their own.

OP
OP
N

NigeltheBold

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I'm talking about Chiloscyllium griseum. There's one online store called Violet Aquarium that apparently sells them. However, I've never heard of this vendor and I'm not sure if it's reliable/trustworthy.

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I'm talking about Chiloscyllium griseum. There's one online store called Violet Aquarium that apparently sells them. However, I've never heard of this vendor and I'm not sure if it's reliable/trustworthy.
Against all odds, I've actually visited this store once, three years ago. Their fish selection was very extensive, despite how small the store was, and they had a surprising number of juvenile golden trevally (Gnathanodon speciosus).

Image uploaded from my Commons account:
1659923205776.png

Looks like they do not have grey bamboo sharks in stock anymore and, unfortunately, I do not know much about the store and how often they restock. How you tried contacting them?

Last edited:
OP
OP
N

NigeltheBold

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Against all odds, I've actually visited this store once, three years ago. Their fish selection is very extensive, despite how small the store was, and they had a surprising number of juvenile golden trevally (Gnathanodon speciosus).

Image uploaded from my Commons account:
1659923205776.png

Looks like they do not have grey bamboo sharks in stock anymore and, unfortunately, I do not know much about the store and how often they restock. How you tried contacting them?
I'm waiting to hear back from them. Fingers crossed! Luckily, I'm in no hurry... the tank isn't even built yet.

Steve and his Animals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've ordered from them once before and had a good experience. Placed another order this morning and one of the workers called me today to replace one of the fish I ordered since they apparently didn't receive it (which I assume means they anticipated it coming in so posted it on the site, but it didn't show), which is a shame since that fish was the main reason I ordered.

Regardless, the fish I had gotten from them prior were healthy. Their shipping costs are high for most standards (70 overnight only if you go through air cargo, about 120 for fedex/ups) including their free shipping minimum (500), but in my eyes that just evens out the lower prices of their fish than most places. The shipping cost may also be because I'm on the east coast and they're in California.

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Order from bluezoo with confidence. They will find you what you pay for or refund u if they can't.
Also check out reef beauty's and foxys.
Some odd ball fish at foxys.

Also gulf species can be obtained from science type non for profits as they usually collect for themselves. I've found several vendors who offer gulf species only type critters and such.
Hths you.
Email and call too.
D

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also gulf species can be obtained from science type non for profits as they usually collect for themselves. I've found several vendors who offer gulf species only type critters and such.
Unfortunately, Chiloscyllium griseum is limited to the Pacific and Indian oceans, and I don't think there are many small sharks from the gulf that are suitable for most aquaria long-term (maybe with the exceptions of Mustelis canis and Sphyrna tiburo for monster systems).
Atlantic Ginglymostoma cirratum are still some of my favorite sharks and keeping one would be awesome.

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only like 4 sharks u can keep long term.
Even my tang fish when they are fully grown won't be suitable for my 240g display. They get up to 18-24" some of em. I was just trying to find the op a shark.
D

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I'd call and talk to someone before I purchased. Lol but that's me.
D

OP
OP
N

NigeltheBold

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I'd call and talk to someone before I purchased. Lol but that's me.
D
I ordered a fish from there once and didn't have a good experience at all. The fish arrived with infections that had obviously been an issue for awhile. Called the shop and they didn't really seem to care.

Steve and his Animals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, Chiloscyllium griseum is limited to the Pacific and Indian oceans, and I don't think there are many small sharks from the gulf that are suitable for most aquaria long-term (maybe with the exceptions of Mustelis canis and Sphyrna tiburo for monster systems).
Atlantic Ginglymostoma cirratum are still some of my favorite sharks and keeping one would be awesome.
If the nurse is one of your favorites, have you considered a short-tail nurse (Pseudoginglymostoma brevicaudatum)? ORA breeds them, and they supposedly only get 2.5 feet long. They had a couple available earlier this year if I recall, but that was the first time I had seen this since I learned about them 4+ years ago.

OP
OP
N

NigeltheBold

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the nurse is one of your favorites, have you considered a short-tail nurse (Pseudoginglymostoma brevicaudatum)? ORA breeds them, and they supposedly only get 2.5 feet long. They had a couple available earlier this year if I recall, but that was the first time I had seen this since I learned about them 4+ years ago.
I'm not particularly interested in the short-tailed nurse, or a regular nurse. I've heard that the grey bamboo is a good shark for a relatively small tank (300 gallons) though.

I did hear back from Violet Aquarium. Sounds like they get them in every now and then. When I'm ready to buy, most likely in a couple of months, I'm going to reach out to them and tell them that I'm looking to purchase.

Aspect

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I'm not particularly interested in the short-tailed nurse, or a regular nurse. I've heard that the grey bamboo is a good shark for a relatively small tank (300 gallons) though.

I did hear back from Violet Aquarium. Sounds like they get them in every now and then. When I'm ready to buy, most likely in a couple of months, I'm going to reach out to them and tell them that I'm looking to purchase.
Short tailed nurses will be smaller than grey bamboos and basically don't move around at all. Gallons don't mean anything when concerning a shark tank though. What are the dimensions of the tank?

OP
OP
N

NigeltheBold

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Short tailed nurses will be smaller than grey bamboos and basically don't move around at all. Gallons don't mean anything when concerning a shark tank though. What are the dimensions of the tank?
No disrespect, but I'm not here to have people weigh-in on what type of shark I should get or whether or not my tank is big enough. I've seen plenty of those threads. Again, I don't mean to be rude, just not really looking for that type of discussion.

Back