Grey patches on Clownfish tail

waitwut

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 22, 2023
Messages
73
Reaction score
9
Location
Berlin, Germany
What state or country do you live in
Other International
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two clownfish in a quarantine tank - they've been in there for around a week and a half and seem to be doing well. Both are eating and have selected places in the tank to host.

I noticed today that one of them has grey patches over the white near its tail. The patches are on both sides but are not symmetrical. I'm fairly sure that the patches are new - I've been watching them pretty closely as the tank is next to my desk.

Should I be concerned? To me it looks like it could be some kind of fungal infection but it's hard to tell. I believe this clown is the more submissive of the two so it could also be damage from fighting - but strange for it to appear on both sides.

Screenshot 2023-06-09 at 2.57.53 pm.png Screenshot 2023-06-09 at 2.58.08 pm.png
 
I have two clownfish in a quarantine tank - they've been in there for around a week and a half and seem to be doing well. Both are eating and have selected places in the tank to host.

I noticed today that one of them has grey patches over the white near its tail. The patches are on both sides but are not symmetrical. I'm fairly sure that the patches are new - I've been watching them pretty closely as the tank is next to my desk.

Should I be concerned? To me it looks like it could be some kind of fungal infection but it's hard to tell. I believe this clown is the more submissive of the two so it could also be damage from fighting - but strange for it to appear on both sides.

Screenshot 2023-06-09 at 2.57.53 pm.png Screenshot 2023-06-09 at 2.58.08 pm.png
I dont believe pigment but rather injury. At this time, keep an eye on it for change as to infection or returning to normal color.
 
Thanks for the reply - I've been observing them more and I have a sneaking suspicion that this is bruising from a powerhead. The other clown has been resting on top of the powerhead with its tail dangerously close to the impeller, it could easily be pulled into the powerhead so I've turned it off for now.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 4 36.4%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 5 45.5%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 3 27.3%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new