Grey patches on Clownfish tail

waitwut

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two clownfish in a quarantine tank - they've been in there for around a week and a half and seem to be doing well. Both are eating and have selected places in the tank to host.

I noticed today that one of them has grey patches over the white near its tail. The patches are on both sides but are not symmetrical. I'm fairly sure that the patches are new - I've been watching them pretty closely as the tank is next to my desk.

Should I be concerned? To me it looks like it could be some kind of fungal infection but it's hard to tell. I believe this clown is the more submissive of the two so it could also be damage from fighting - but strange for it to appear on both sides.

Screenshot 2023-06-09 at 2.57.53 pm.png Screenshot 2023-06-09 at 2.58.08 pm.png

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I have two clownfish in a quarantine tank - they've been in there for around a week and a half and seem to be doing well. Both are eating and have selected places in the tank to host.

I noticed today that one of them has grey patches over the white near its tail. The patches are on both sides but are not symmetrical. I'm fairly sure that the patches are new - I've been watching them pretty closely as the tank is next to my desk.

Should I be concerned? To me it looks like it could be some kind of fungal infection but it's hard to tell. I believe this clown is the more submissive of the two so it could also be damage from fighting - but strange for it to appear on both sides.

Screenshot 2023-06-09 at 2.57.53 pm.png Screenshot 2023-06-09 at 2.58.08 pm.png
I dont believe pigment but rather injury. At this time, keep an eye on it for change as to infection or returning to normal color.

OP
OP
W

waitwut

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply - I've been observing them more and I have a sneaking suspicion that this is bruising from a powerhead. The other clown has been resting on top of the powerhead with its tail dangerously close to the impeller, it could easily be pulled into the powerhead so I've turned it off for now.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 17 8.3%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 35 17.2%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 136 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 10 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.9%
Back