Grey Shark?

speedjester

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been looking for a grey shark. I found one on line. They listed as Grey bamboo. When I called and inquired to confirm it was indeed a grey. I was sent a video. I understand the dorsal fin should be concave compared to the brown Bamboo.

If anyone can confirm the subspecies as Grey it would be appreciated attached video

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I’ve been looking for a grey shark. I found one on line. They listed as Grey bamboo. When I called and inquired to confirm it was indeed a grey. I was sent a video. I understand the dorsal fin should be concave compared to the brown Bamboo.

If anyone can confirm the subspecies as Grey it would be appreciated attached video
Looks like a bamboo shark

OP
OP
S

speedjester

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Aspect

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I agree Looks like a brown bamboo. But from what I understand they look like that while young as they mature they turn grey. I’m only aware of the concave dorsal fin on the grey. Vs the convex dorsal fin on the common Brown bamboo.
Yes that is a Gray Bamboo. The dorsal fin is concave and they only have bands until they are mature, a Brown's bands will be much darker completely black when young. Although, they look very skinny and unhealthy in the video, I would not be super comfortable with shipping that specimen. Are you in driving distance of the store?

OP
OP
S

speedjester

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes that is a Gray Bamboo. The dorsal fin is concave and they only have bands until they are mature, a Brown's bands will be much darker completely black when young. Although, they look very skinny and unhealthy in the video, I would not be super comfortable with shipping that specimen. Are you in driving distance of the store?
I’m located in Fl. It’s located in Cali. Violet aquarium.. I’ve never dealt with them. The guy that answered the phone stated there eating frozen shrimp pieces. They didn’t exhume confidence when I asked to confirm they were greys. He just sent me the video so I could decide.. lol Place only ship air cargo.

Aspect

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I’m located in Fl. It’s located in Cali. Violet aquarium.. I’ve never dealt with them. The guy that answered the phone stated there eating frozen shrimp pieces. They didn’t exhume confidence when I asked to confirm they were greys. He just sent me the video so I could decide.. lol Place only ship air cargo.
Yes I actually have ordered from them before as they are able to get rare fish. However their DOA policy is very hard to get a refund from and those sharks are very skinny. You can see their back on the top is indented in towards their body which is not good at all. I ordered my Grey from TheCoralReef in Tennessee about a year ago and it was very healthy. They don't always have them in stock but they definitely can get them.

WilGao

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Those are Grey bamboo sharks (Chilloscyllium griseum) I'm100% positive.

OP
OP
S

speedjester

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I might have found one local Is this a coral cat. LFS calls it a marble cat. I’ve read there one in the same. Thoughts

Attachments

• 8E0AD564-1591-4F54-80B9-0A11A9FFCF04.png
    8E0AD564-1591-4F54-80B9-0A11A9FFCF04.png
    599.5 KB · Views: 53
  • 8A03C6D1-BF7F-4618-A5E0-870E5312A24E.png
    8A03C6D1-BF7F-4618-A5E0-870E5312A24E.png
    400.3 KB · Views: 43

Aspect

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I might have found one local Is this a coral cat. LFS calls it a marble cat. I’ve read there one in the same. Thoughts
They are slightly different that is a marbled catshark. If it's caught from the wild it is a marbled as coral catsharks are near endangered they are no longer wild caught. They have been successfully captive bred in the past but I doubt an LFS would have one unless it was donated.

Aspect

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
They basically look identical until maturity at which point the Coral catsharks obtains a duller black/grey color where the marbleds stay darker. Also the Coral cats get just a tad bit larger. Other than that they are basically the same species. Corals are from Indonesia and Marbled are from Australia.

Aspect

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Yes. It’s bigger than I thought. About 20” I had plans to place in my 180. But it had to go in my 360.
20"? That's pretty much maxed out for a captive species. You can sex it by looking at the underside it's very easy to tell them apart, males have 2 "claspers" they look like tentacles kinda. They are basically 2 penises. Females will not have them obviously. If it's a female it might get an inch or two larger, you said you have other sharks correct? If you end up having 2 males there will be aggression in a 360 gallon tank. Males, especially sexually matured ones will try to establish dominance and Atelomycterus (Marbled catshark) in particular can get pretty aggressive.

OP
OP
S

speedjester

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20"? That's pretty much maxed out for a captive species. You can sex it by looking at the underside it's very easy to tell them apart, males have 2 "claspers" they look like tentacles kinda. They are basically 2 penises. Females will not have them obviously. If it's a female it might get an inch or two larger, you said you have other sharks correct? If you end up having 2 males there will be aggression in a 360 gallon tank. Males, especially sexually matured ones will try to establish dominance and Atelomycterus (Marbled catshark) in particular can get pretty aggressive.
I was under the impression they were more active than my bamboos.Doesn’t seem to react to food like the Bamboos.. The bamboos start to come out of there caves and look for food when I feed. The Marble shark doesn’t react. (He did eat when I placed a 3” silverside in front of him yesterday) Don’t know what I was expecting. Lol. Could be that he’s acclimating. He has been at the not so local fish store for two weeks in Nitrofurazone. ( Some reason this store keeps all there livestock that’s sensitive to copper in Nitrofurazone. ). Body condition is good. Breathing is 50-55BPM.

Aspect

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I was under the impression they were more active than my bamboos.Doesn’t seem to react to food like the Bamboos.. The bamboos start to come out of there caves and look for food when I feed. The Marble shark doesn’t react. (He did eat when I placed a 3” silverside in front of him yesterday) Don’t know what I was expecting. Lol. Could be that he’s acclimating. He has been at the not so local fish store for two weeks in Nitrofurazone. ( Some reason this store keeps all there livestock that’s sensitive to copper in Nitrofurazone. ). Body condition is good. Breathing is 50-55BPM.
Yes is typical with a newly acclimating shark. Give them about 2 weeks and they should be much a more aggressive feeder. They are nocturnal and while they probably won't come out much if at all during the day, they will swim all night. They will definitely out compete your bamboos for food so you may need to spot feed them. Also I would throw the silversides out they should not be a main staple of their diet. They are very lacking in nutritional value and at best should be used as a snack every once in awhile. Also Atelomycterus are more susceptible to goiter so you will need to supplement with iodine either in solid form with Mazuri shark vitamins or by liquid.

OP
OP
S

speedjester

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes is typical with a newly acclimating shark. Give them about 2 weeks and they should be much a more aggressive feeder. They are nocturnal and while they probably won't come out much if at all during the day, they will swim all night. They will definitely out compete your bamboos for food so you may need to spot feed them. Also I would throw the silversides out they should not be a main staple of their diet. They are very lacking in nutritional value and at best should be used as a snack every once in awhile. Also Atelomycterus are more susceptible to goiter so you will need to supplement with iodine either in solid form with Mazuri shark vitamins or by liquid.
I feed an assortment of foods. Silverside are easy to feed and I hide the Mazuri vitamins in them so they get one every day.( The tail of the silversides fit nicely in a long slender tube. Makes it easy to feed without sticking my hands in the tank) First feeding. At night the get shrimp or some type of fish from the grocery. They eat shrimp, salmon, tilapia, cod, Wont touch octopus or scallops. Lol

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 147 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back