OP
Greybeard

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've actually just started to research this. I am not at the point of dosing kalk just yet but I feel I'd rather dose VS run through my ATO.

I dosed via ATO since I started with Kalkwasser, probably 1996 or so. Always liked Kalk, it's a very good solution for Calc/alk in a non-demanding tank. Always had a few problems with this method. Either (A) I suspend my ATO pump in Kalk, which is really hard on the pump, and for me, was always a pain to maintain, or (B) I used an inline reactor. You can't control saturation on an inline reactor very well... it's ether full strength, or nothing, so you get a way higher dose when it's hot and dry than you do when it's cool and wet.

Changed to dosing via pump with this tank, about 6 months ago. I mix up a bucket every other week, while I'm doing a water change, usually, drop the dosing tube in when it settles, and I'm good. Same dose, regardless of evaporation rate. So far, it's been rock solid.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always liked Kalk, it's a very good solution for Calc/alk in a non-demanding tank. Always had a few problems with this method. Either (A) I suspend my ATO pump in Kalk, which is really hard on the pump, and for me, was always a pain to maintain, or (B) I used an inline reactor.
I been running kalk in my ato for year and it's definitely a roller coaster, I have burnt up 2 pumps and lots of swings. I liked the simplicity but onto a new approach.
Graybeard your daughter is very gifted that create top is exquisite

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dosed via ATO since I started with Kalkwasser, probably 1996 or so. Always liked Kalk, it's a very good solution for Calc/alk in a non-demanding tank. Always had a few problems with this method. Either (A) I suspend my ATO pump in Kalk, which is really hard on the pump, and for me, was always a pain to maintain, or (B) I used an inline reactor. You can't control saturation on an inline reactor very well... it's ether full strength, or nothing, so you get a way higher dose when it's hot and dry than you do when it's cool and wet.

Changed to dosing via pump with this tank, about 6 months ago. I mix up a bucket every other week, while I'm doing a water change, usually, drop the dosing tube in when it settles, and I'm good. Same dose, regardless of evaporation rate. So far, it's been rock solid.

I'm sure you saw, but BRS is running kalk in their new ULM series. Will be fun to see how it works out. It's also separate from ATO and just dosed daily at full saturation (they are using a kalk stirrer).

OP
OP
Greybeard

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a 'like' on this, thought perhaps it was time to update, once again.

A bit over a year in. SPS really doesn't do well in this tank. I'm not just real sure why, I don't believe it's water quality... flow, perhaps, though it seems OK to me. Lighting, maybe, T5 lights, 4B+, 2AB Special, 1Actinic, 1Purple+, seems a good mix to me. Honestly, I'm not that concerned. LPS, Softies, and Clams are doing very well... and I'm just as happy keeping a healthy mixed reef of these. I do have orange and purple monti cap frags that seem to be doing OK, but all of the stix I've tried faded out.

I'm dealing with a bubble algae outbreak, came in on a frag plug. Did two weeks on Vibrant... ugh. My wall hammers DO NOT like this product... and I've got Cyano. Quit dosing that last week, added a fresh charge of GAC, and filling my barrel for a 20% water change. If anyone local is interested... I've got a big bottle of Vibrant, free to a good home. If a guy was running a fish only system, I'd say this stuff might be a good idea, at a low dose. I must say, it did keep the walls of the tank algae free, and brilliant, crystal clear water.

Pulled the main rock covered with bubble algae and power washed it last night. We're on a well, so the water I used wasn't chlorinated. Let it dry in the sun, and popped it back in the tank. I don't expect too much problem, though there will likely be a little die-off from doing this.

Got a BRS email on an 'affordable refugeum light' last week, jumped over to their site, and found the Zetlight E200s. Should be here tomorrow, to replace the cheap Amazon twin tube 24" daylight T5's over my ref. Hopefully, it'll prove to be a better lighting solution... we'll see. I note that the light is sold out now... I guess I'm not the only one to jump after that email :)

Ordered a new sample of Chaetomorpha from Algae Barn. Gave away my macro algae when I started dosing Vibrant... didn't want it to melt in my system and add all of those nutrients back to the water. That should be here Friday.

Anyway, system running well, LPS, clams, soft corals growing well... it's still a bit sparse, but I've always like fewer, larger corals, rather than crowding the system with a bunch of small colonies. I'm willing to wait, let things grow in.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has the vibrant slowed the BA problem or did you stop after your hammers protest? I too have a problem and manually clean the clusters as they show up

OP
OP
Greybeard

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has the vibrant slowed the BA problem or did you stop after your hammers protest? I too have a problem and manually clean the clusters as they show up
Vibrant showed no effect on my bubble algae. I only used it for two weeks, 4 doses. According to the instructions, I would have needed to treat for several times as long to work. Don't know if it would have eventually started working, but it's not worth loosing my two wall hammers in order to find out.

Bubble algae is a nuisance, but there are other ways to handle it. 3000 PSI through my power washer sure made quick work of it :)

In my case, I only had bubble algae growing in the holes and crevices of my rock... and mainly on one single, albeit rather large, piece of rock. Happily, it was a rock that had very little in the way of corals encrusting on it. I had to chip off one zoanthid colony that had spread on to it, but other than that, no big deal. My orange spotted rabbitfish seems to have a taste for the stuff, and keeps it from growing anywhere he can reach. I've never heard of rabbitfish eating bubble algae before... I wouldn't recommend running out to buy one for that purpose, but yeah, mine likes it.

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vibrant showed no effect on my bubble algae. I only used it for two weeks, 4 doses. According to the instructions, I would have needed to treat for several times as long to work. Don't know if it would have eventually started working, but it's not worth loosing my two wall hammers in order to find out.

Bubble algae is a nuisance, but there are other ways to handle it. 3000 PSI through my power washer sure made quick work of it :)

In my case, I only had bubble algae growing in the holes and crevices of my rock... and mainly on one single, albeit rather large, piece of rock. Happily, it was a rock that had very little in the way of corals encrusting on it. I had to chip off one zoanthid colony that had spread on to it, but other than that, no big deal. My orange spotted rabbitfish seems to have a taste for the stuff, and keeps it from growing anywhere he can reach. I've never heard of rabbitfish eating bubble algae before... I wouldn't recommend running out to buy one for that purpose, but yeah, mine likes it.

Do you have mithrax / emerald crabs?

OP
OP
Greybeard

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have mithrax / emerald crabs?
Yeah, two... in a ~140 gallon display.

I'm not a big fan of crabs, in general. Most are just too opportunistic in their feeding habits for me.

I don't mind discussing it, but I have to say, I'm not too worried about the bubble algae. I'll get it under control, in time. Been there, done that... this too will pass.

I tried a 'new' solution, and as usual, found it lacking. I have to say, I've not had good results from 'cure in a bottle' treatments in my reef. There are some that work... Flatworm eXit, for instance... might even work too well. If you've got a serious infestation, killing them all at once can wipe out your tank!

Oh well... back to tried and true methods. The longer I'm at this, the more important good, basic, aquarium husbandry techniques are. There just isn't any substitute. Time, and effort. I must say, taking the power washer to the bubble algae was a very satisfying experience :)

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I must say, taking the power washer to the bubble algae was a very satisfying experience :)
;Hilarious;Hilarious;Hilarious and a lot cheaper than brass

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a 'like' on this, thought perhaps it was time to update, once again.

A bit over a year in. SPS really doesn't do well in this tank. I'm not just real sure why, I don't believe it's water quality... flow, perhaps, though it seems OK to me. Lighting, maybe, T5 lights, 4B+, 2AB Special, 1Actinic, 1Purple+, seems a good mix to me. Honestly, I'm not that concerned. LPS, Softies, and Clams are doing very well... and I'm just as happy keeping a healthy mixed reef of these. I do have orange and purple monti cap frags that seem to be doing OK, but all of the stix I've tried faded out.

I'm dealing with a bubble algae outbreak, came in on a frag plug. Did two weeks on Vibrant... ugh. My wall hammers DO NOT like this product... and I've got Cyano. Quit dosing that last week, added a fresh charge of GAC, and filling my barrel for a 20% water change. If anyone local is interested... I've got a big bottle of Vibrant, free to a good home. If a guy was running a fish only system, I'd say this stuff might be a good idea, at a low dose. I must say, it did keep the walls of the tank algae free, and brilliant, crystal clear water.

Pulled the main rock covered with bubble algae and power washed it last night. We're on a well, so the water I used wasn't chlorinated. Let it dry in the sun, and popped it back in the tank. I don't expect too much problem, though there will likely be a little die-off from doing this.

Got a BRS email on an 'affordable refugeum light' last week, jumped over to their site, and found the Zetlight E200s. Should be here tomorrow, to replace the cheap Amazon twin tube 24" daylight T5's over my ref. Hopefully, it'll prove to be a better lighting solution... we'll see. I note that the light is sold out now... I guess I'm not the only one to jump after that email :)

Ordered a new sample of Chaetomorpha from Algae Barn. Gave away my macro algae when I started dosing Vibrant... didn't want it to melt in my system and add all of those nutrients back to the water. That should be here Friday.

Anyway, system running well, LPS, clams, soft corals growing well... it's still a bit sparse, but I've always like fewer, larger corals, rather than crowding the system with a bunch of small colonies. I'm willing to wait, let things grow in.
After you have had it running awhile I want to know how you like your new fuge light I really considered this light last year, but I could not find anyone that had used one so I didn't buy it. I am very interested

OP
OP
Greybeard

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After you have had it running awhile I want to know how you like your new fuge light I really considered this light last year, but I could not find anyone that had used one so I didn't buy it. I am very interested
I, too, have not seen much in the way of reviews on this light. Spectrum looks right for growing macro algae, wattage is about what I'd like to see, spread looks right for my fuge design, comes with a mounting arm, supposed to be water tight...

... and I've _never_ been happy with the Odyssea dual T5 light I bought (cheap) when I started this tank up.

Seemed worth giving it a try.

I may do a review, once I've seen it in action a while.

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@GoVols was able to wipe out his bubble with Vibrant, but he also had a scary problem with his Wall Hammer. He backed way off and started dosing in his sump instead of the display I think. He was pretty worried there for a bit.

That's two reports of hammers really not liking Vibrant.

OP
OP
Greybeard

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@GoVols was able to wipe out his bubble with Vibrant, but he also had a scary problem with his Wall Hammer. He backed way off and started dosing in his sump instead of the display I think. He was pretty worried there for a bit.

Strange... my branching hammers didn't seem to mind. My torch wasn't happy, but wasn't really suffering... but my two wall hammers started looking, well, hammered :p Nothing else noticeably affected by 2 weeks worth of suggested dosing.

I put fresh GAC in the reactor the other day, mixed up water yesterday, and will be doing a 20% change tonight. Hopefully, they'll pull through.

OP
OP
Greybeard

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zetlight E200s arrived.

Initial impressions:
Decent packaging
Gooseneck mount is of excellent quality. Steel gooseneck, covered in thick rubbery plastic.
Powder coated aluminum U mount -w- plastic screw.
I'm using a standard 55g rimmed aquarium as a sump/ref, the mount worked fine. Looks like it'd work for just about any rim type.
Mount on light is center rear... an L shaped adapter would give you better reach. Much like Kessel's gooseneck mount, really.
Cord seems fairly heavy duty, with multiple QD fittings. 4 pieces, in all.
Case appears to be powder coated aluminum, glass LED cover, rubberized rim encasing edges. Says it's waterproof... I'm unlikely to try it :)
I didn't notice any power switch... plug it in, it starts.
There is a 30 second or so delay on powering up.
Bright, purple light. Spreads well in my 12" x 24" refugeum.
Online app, took me about 30 seconds to get it connected to my WiFi network.
4 sections of 'day', each with start/end times, brightness over 4 channels.
Up and running, with a reasonable starting point, about 15 minutes after the package arrived at the door.

There's a few bits of ulva, maybe a strand or two each of C. Mexicana, Chaetomorpha, Gracilaria, left over from me cleaning it out before the Vibrant treatment. I've got a fresh sample of Chaetomorpha on it's way from Algae Barn later this week. Once I've seen how well it does under this light, I'll have more to say about it... but...

So far, so good. For a $100 light, I'm fairly impressed with initial quality.

Wish all WiFi devices were this easy to establish initial connections.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yeah,
It was my Wall Hammer and my Blasto. It did not effect my Branching Hammer.

It did help by dosing real slow, in the overflow and the sump.

OP
OP
Greybeard

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hammers came back... my orange torch didn't. Looked somewhat unhappy while I was treating, day after I quit, it looked _bad_. Next day, gone.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hammers came back... my orange torch didn't. Looked somewhat unhappy while I was treating, day after I quit, it looked _bad_. Next day, gone.
Greybeard,
The Virbant did knock out my BA.

Now, I just dose it once a month to keep the live rock pores clean.

Freddie

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 16.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 53 52.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.9%
Back