Ground probe

Mrxia0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it normal to get a good shock when touching the metal part on these grounding probes?

5068B7B7-73C1-4DA2-ABB2-CF9C82AE7807.jpeg

35ppt

Large Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No it is not! @Brew12 is one of the electricians on the forum so I'll tag him. Are you using a GFCI as well? I suspect you have some failed equipment that is leaking some voltage into the tank. But if you're using a GFCI it should be tripping it.

OP
OP
Mrxia0

Mrxia0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahhh no gfci. Lol definitely getting shocked touching the metal probe. Not getting chocked just touching water though

35ppt

Large Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you checked for stray voltage in the tank? Do you have a multimeter? You should order a GFCI plug also.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are getting shocked by touching the probe, and only the probe, there is most likely a problem with your homes wiring.
If you are getting shocked when touching the probe and also touching something else, it could be whatever else you are touching that has an issue.

OP
OP
Mrxia0

Mrxia0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol I feel stupid purposely shocking myself but it seems to only happen when my hands are wet and one hand on the sump and the other on the metal probe. Lol is there a better way than being the guinea pig?

ROB2005

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol I feel stupid purposely shocking myself but it seems to only happen when my hands are wet and one hand on the sump and the other on the metal probe. Lol is there a better way than being the guinea pig?
Before you do anything else my friend have a GFCI installed if you have electrical knowhow to do it.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, a meter is a better idea.
I suspect you have a piece of equipment in your system that has exposed electrical connections to the water.
From what you are saying, it sounds like the ground probe is working like it should. I suspect your water is energized and when you touch the ground probe it is providing the path for current flow so you can feel the shock. When you only put your hand in the tank you are insulated from ground, so no current flow, so no shock.

I would get something like this and plug your aquarium equipment into it one at a time to see if it trips. That will tell you what is failing.

OP
OP
Mrxia0

Mrxia0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn’t know about the cgfi outlets 15 years ago when I installed the tank and installing one will require me to almost take the tank apart. I’m going to try the shock buster.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 40 46.5%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 20 23.3%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 20 23.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 7.0%
Back