Ground probes, should we use them

reef_junkie

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 31, 2015
Messages
422
Reaction score
192
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm very curious to the general opinion of using grounding rods or probes in aquariums.
Before I get to it allow me to introduce myself as an experienced hobbyist, carpenter by trade and by NO means an electrician. I am mechanically inclined and have a savy understanding of electrical theory.

I do not keep a grounding device in my tank at all. I know that stray voltage will only shock if grounded. It's that simple. Am I wrong?
Please tell me your opinion on the subject.
 
Nope its that simple , just like a bird on a wire can be sitting on 500v just fine. Voltage doesn't kill current dose if that bird was to reach over and touch another wire poof no bird since now there was a flow of current. Safer to not have one IMO unless you take it out or test your water before putting your hands in there, I don't use one and that might be the best explanation of current/ voltage but a simple one hope it helps :)
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 7 18.4%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 15 39.5%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 4 10.5%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 7.9%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 5 13.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 7.9%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new