OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m electrically challenged so I don’t trust myself putting that together.

There are 2 outlets, 1 powering my apex and all the ancillary equipment and 1 powering all my pumps and wave makers.

Could I use 2 of these to achieve gfci again and then 1 ground probe? Or would I need 2 ground probes then?

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_6_4?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=gfci+adapter&sprefix=gfci,aps,156&crid=3470GJUFQA65J
The link showed a search result so not sure exactly what device you were looking at. But yes, you could use two purchased GFCI units like those and then use a single ground probe. The ground probe could plug in anywhere it was convenient.

iReefer12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sorry, it was this one.

151be7ed580af4a1259e16f089a43035.jpg

infinite0180

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@Brew12

I have that exact same towers gfci outlet converter that is pictured a few posts above. I have a standard 2 plug (3 prong, non gfci) outlet next to my tank. The way i have it set up is my powerstrip that runs my apex jr and everything else is plugged into the towers gfci. I added the ground probe and plugged it right into the wall, not into the power strip thats plugged into the towers gfci. So basically everything that is drawing power is going through the gfci but the ground probe is not. Is this ok? The ground probe packaging says to not plug it into power strips so i went right to the wall with the ground. Also, a side note, my apex jr temp probe was having issues stabilizing and as a result i had to write in code to filter out any of the crazy readings i would get. I found out the apex jr does not have the same internal shielding that a normal apex has and as a result can cause issues with readings and is sensitive to electrical interference. Well go figure, i added the ground probe and the apex jr is now working flawlessly. That right there was worth the $15 i paid!

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Brew12

I have that exact same towers gfci outlet converter that is pictured a few posts above. I have a standard 2 plug (3 prong, non gfci) outlet next to my tank. The way i have it set up is my powerstrip that runs my apex jr and everything else is plugged into the towers gfci. I added the ground probe and plugged it right into the wall, not into the power strip thats plugged into the towers gfci. So basically everything that is drawing power is going through the gfci but the ground probe is not. Is this ok? The ground probe packaging says to not plug it into power strips so i went right to the wall with the ground. Also, a side note, my apex jr temp probe was having issues stabilizing and as a result i had to write in code to filter out any of the crazy readings i would get. I found out the apex jr does not have the same internal shielding that a normal apex has and as a result can cause issues with readings and is sensitive to electrical interference. Well go figure, i added the ground probe and the apex jr is now working flawlessly. That right there was worth the $15 i paid!
Yup, the ground probe can be plug in anywhere. Doesn't even have to be on the same circuit. Glad it helped with your interference, too!

infinite0180

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yup, the ground probe can be plug in anywhere. Doesn't even have to be on the same circuit. Glad it helped with your interference, too!
Awesome, so it makes no difference that the ground probe is not on a gfci?

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome, so it makes no difference that the ground probe is not on a gfci?
Nope, not at all. In fact, you could connect it to your neighbors house using an extension cord and it would work just as well. Your neighbor may not understand though... so I'm not recommending it! :rolleyes:

Brad Miller

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a small quibble with what you said in your opening post. You said " Electricity always takes the lowest resistance path to ground." That suggests that it ignores the other paths.

That is somewhat misleading. Electricity takes all paths available to it. Most of the current will go through the lowest resistance path if the other paths are much higher in resistance. There will still be some current flowing through the other paths.

I tried having this conversation with some here and gave up.
What was said over and over, is that the current will “flow around the fish”
This is the silliest thing I ever herd, but this is just not the case, no matter how much math is spewed.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried having this conversation with some here and gave up.
What was said over and over, is that the current will “flow around the fish”
This is the silliest thing I ever herd, but this is just not the case, no matter how much math is spewed.
The vast majority of current will flow around the fish. The math proves it. Practical application backs up the math. The math shows why you can only electrofish in fresh water. Once water starts getting brackish, too much current flows around the fish to stun it.
If you think the calculations are wrong, what equations or scientific/engineering principles do you think should be used that would show something different?

Brad Miller

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The vast majority of current will flow around the fish. The math proves it. Practical application backs up the math. The math shows why you can only electrofish in fresh water. Once water starts getting brackish, too much current flows around the fish to stun it.
If you think the calculations are wrong, what equations or scientific/engineering principles do you think should be used that would show something different?

Brew,
The math isn’t wrong.
It’s when people say that the current flows around the fish that is fishy:)

elderdaffodil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The lateral line of fish is sensitive to electrical currents. Why add more when you can eliminate it? Maybe my understanding of this is limited.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The lateral line of fish is sensitive to electrical currents. Why add more when you can eliminate it? Maybe my understanding of this is limited.
I don't think anyone has a good understanding of this, myself included. Is the lateral line sensitive to electrical currents or electrical fields? Does more or less current flow through the water with a ground probe? Hard to say. It's relatively easy to model the boundary between two different materials when it comes to voltage and current. Determining what is happing in the water itself if a challenge. Modeling current flow within a copper conductor is hard enough. It doesn't flow uniformly through the copper. As you increase voltage, more and more of the current flows on the outside edges of the conductor in something called skin effect. There are also eddy currents and other fluctuations that we cannot easily see or measure. This is why early transmission lines were hollow and why aluminimum pipe is used as a conductor in substations.
Now you add in variables like flow, temperature, salinity, particulate, and who knows what other things play into it and figuring out how much current is flowing through any single part of the water is almost impossible. I would theorize that we are reducing total current flow in the tank along with reducing magnetic fields but are likely concentrating current flow in some areas between the source of induced voltage and the ground probe.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fields are magnetic. They are everywhere. That is why fish have evolved to detect them.
As for the rest I am not smart enough to know.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just saw this Article, and thank you for putting this together. Reading though the Q&A answered some of my questions:)

I was think I have a issue with stray voltage, but from reading in am good with a titanium heat right with three prongs?

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just saw this Article, and thank you for putting this together. Reading though the Q&A answered some of my questions:)

I was think I have a issue with stray voltage, but from reading in am good with a titanium heat right with three prongs?
Yup, you should be. It seems like some heaters don't have the ground properly connected though so it might be worth checking. Have you tested your water with a volt meter?

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, you should be. It seems like some heaters don't have the ground properly connected though so it might be worth checking. Have you tested your water with a volt meter?

Yes:)

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 35.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 37 30.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 30 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back