Grouper

Guynamedfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to get a grouper for my 75 gallon so far I found a clown grouper and a blue tip short fin grouper what other groupers could I get in a 75 gallon

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Marine Betta (A.K.A. Comet), as blaxsun mentioned, is probably your best bet - most groupers get way too big and aggressive for a 75 gallon. The Bluetip Shortfin Grouper you listed is another good option, though, as are other members of that genus (Paraplesiops) but they’re rarely available in the trade and they’re quite expensive as a result.

From my understanding, a Clown Grouper will eventually get too big for a 75, which normally isn’t really an issue (you can generally figure it out by when the fish starts showing signs of stress and just rehome them), but big aggressive fish like groupers are generally pretty hard to rehome, and, for Clown Groupers specifically, they can also release toxins into your tank when stressed. So, you’d need to rehome it before it outgrows your tank or you’d risk having it potentially nuke your tank.

Just my two cents on this.

If you want grouper-like fish, but they don’t have to be groupers, I’d recommend something like an Indigo Hamlet, Belted Sandfish, or Sand Perch - not the same, I know (I love the look of groupers), but smaller, pretty fish all the same.

Upvote 0

drakebuffie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am having the same type of problem. I have an 8 inch stars and stripes puffer that I need to get rid of because I want corals and he will eventually be too big for my 75 gal and I cant even give away the fish. Most people dont have a tank big enough for the larger species of fish.

So now I am trying to decide what the heck to do with it. Euthanize it? I would really rather not but what do you do with a large fish that you cant even give away for free??

Other option would be buy a 250+ gal tank but right now the wife isnt having it.

Upvote 0

|Frank|

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am having the same type of problem. I have an 8 inch stars and stripes puffer that I need to get rid of because I want corals and he will eventually be too big for my 75 gal and I cant even give away the fish. Most people dont have a tank big enough for the larger species of fish.

So now I am trying to decide what the heck to do with it. Euthanize it? I would really rather not but what do you do with a large fish that you cant even give away for free??

Other option would be buy a 250+ gal tank but right now the wife isnt having it.
Take it to LFS?

Upvote 0

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would try posting an ad in the selling forum on here (if you haven’t already). Surely someone who has the means to take care of it would take it for free, or possible for the cost of shipping if you’d be willing to ship it.

It seems irresponsible to kill an animal just because it outgrew it’s tank that was way to small for it.

Upvote 0

drakebuffie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would try posting an ad in the selling forum on here (if you haven’t already). Surely someone who has the means to take care of it would take it for free, or possible for the cost of shipping if you’d be willing to ship it.

It seems irresponsible to kill an animal just because it outgrew it’s tank that was way to small for it.
Unable to post in the classifieds here. Need to be a member for over a month and have 25 or so posts. I get it but its rather silly. If someone is new they might not have 25 good posts to contribute to reach the quota before they are allowed to post online.

I really don't want to euthanize it but I cant be the first person to have this problem. Having a fish they cant get rid of. I mean I kill hundreds of fish a year for food (walleye and perch) but that is different. I would not be against eating puffer fish, in some countries it is a delicacy, but due to the fact they are poisonous you need to know what you are doing when you clean them.

Anyway that is not the point. I do not want to euthanize it and have no plans to. Eventually someone will take him. Best option would to be a bigger tank but with bidens inflation right now things are a little tight to justify a couple thousand dollar purchase for a larger tank.

Upvote 0

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
V-tail is the smallest 'grouper' I've seen in the hobby. I would expect an 8-9"+ fish.

Harlequin bass would be a good choice, depending on tankmates. Serranus tigrinus

Upvote 0

Thomashtom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If you are need to rehome the puffer i will take him! I have large Fowler systems that can easily handle him! Please let me know? Thanks Tom

Upvote 0

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Posts like these make me hope the hobby gets restricted more or shut down to wild caught. Talking about buying a fish then euthanizing it because it gets to big for the tank you knew was too small? JC there are some people out there.

Upvote 0

Celestion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Grouper (sea bass) , if you had to a v tail (nice red orange color) could work in a small 75 gallon , ---turn up some big flow 6-8 hours a day--- , large skimmer is a must these dogs pound down food

Upvote 0

Thomashtom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unable to post in the classifieds here. Need to be a member for over a month and have 25 or so posts. I get it but its rather silly. If someone is new they might not have 25 good posts to contribute to reach the quota before they are allowed to post online.

I really don't want to euthanize it but I cant be the first person to have this problem. Having a fish they cant get rid of. I mean I kill hundreds of fish a year for food (walleye and perch) but that is different. I would not be against eating puffer fish, in some countries it is a delicacy, but due to the fact they are poisonous you need to know what you are doing when you clean them.

Anyway that is not the point. I do not want to euthanize it and have no plans to. Eventually someone will take him. Best option would to be a bigger tank but with bidens inflation right now things are a little tight to justify a couple thousand dollar purchase for a larger tank.
Do you have pics of puffer?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
G

Guynamedfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Grouper (sea bass) , if you had to a v tail (nice red orange color) could work in a small 75 gallon , ---turn up some big flow 6-8 hours a day--- , large skimmer is a must these dogs pound down food
I have a lot of flow I have a wave maker that is around 211 gph

Upvote 0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 74 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back