OP
Rawsreef

Rawsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
E424DD1A-FE4E-4A4D-8DAA-8ADE3E855BD6.png

these things cost more than I paid for my nano tank lol. I’m trying to go the more “cost effective” route here

HeyLookItsCaps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
E424DD1A-FE4E-4A4D-8DAA-8ADE3E855BD6.png

these things cost more than I paid for my nano tank lol. I’m trying to go the more “cost effective” route here

That’s the pod system, but I have that also. The phyto setup is half of that give or take. The reason these are nice is they’re glass, have sanitation equipment and the black band is a flexible LED array. Either way the starters from them are great.

HeyLookItsCaps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does this not work?
Does the entire culture crash?

Yes, competition for resources on a multi species live culture will determine a winner. Even the ones for sale are cultured separately and then mixed for bottling and sale.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, competition for resources on a multi species live culture will determine a winner. Even the ones for sale are cultured separately and then mixed for bottling and sale.
So in a week, only 1 species will survive ?
They are not eating each other.

HeyLookItsCaps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So in a week, only 1 species will survive ?
They are not eating each other.

I wouldn’t say only 1 species would survive, maybe 1, maybe all. The issue is competition of what they DO eat.

If you had a big steak in the fridge for just yourself, you’re gonna be a lot bigger and healthier if you don’t have to share it 3-5 ways with others. Also those others may be hungrier or eat faster than you, so now your 20% of the steak lowers to 10% because you couldn’t get it down as fast

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t say only 1 species would survive, maybe 1, maybe all. The issue is competition of what they DO eat.

If you had a big steak in the fridge for just yourself, you’re gonna be a lot bigger and healthier if you don’t have to share it 3-5 ways with others. Also those others may be hungrier or eat faster than you, so now your 20% of the steak lowers to 10% because you couldn’t get it down as fast
I agree the ratios would change, just wonder how fast. Would depend on species.

Reef Nutrition

We Feed Your Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are actually few hobbyists that have been able to start a culture from our Phyto-Feast Live. While we don't recommend it, it can be done. In addition, the National Center for Marine Algae and Micro Biota (formerly the CCMP) had one of their staff members prove that our phytoplankton is alive and a culture can be started from it: https://www.dropbox.com/s/lg373cqdjm7k7up/CCMP.pdf?raw=1. The purpose of this experiment was simply to prove that the phytoplankton is indeed alive. We still recommend, firmly, that you don't start a culture with it since it's not a single species product. From what hobbyists have told us, it's usually Nannochloropsis and Synechococcuss that outcompete the other algal species in the blend. These two microalgae are very hardy and replicate quite rapidly. The algae doesn't eat one another, it's just a case of replication and nutrient depletion by the hardiest/fastest cell dividing species. How long it takes for the strongest species to outcompete the others is unknown.

Last edited:

Fishinabarrel

sCiEncE wILl Win
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they have been arrested and convicted? true story ?
True story. But not for selling me phyto!
The story is multiple customers ordered waterboxes, paid the full amounts. Orders were never put in. Money was used as an interest free loan.......
Eviction sign appeared in Dec. on the store front.

onlyfans

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would order a starter culture from Poseidon Reef Systems. They also make the phyto tank setups and I’ve had a ton of success with both their dry goods and their cultures.

Edit : if you’re in or around Texas, or want to pay for shipping I can send you a pouch of mine, this is the 9th harvest and very dense.

3755D21D-FC3C-4BAC-89F7-5F1098BBA37A.jpeg
9F02D7B4-66E6-48F8-BB90-F76859B738C6.jpeg
I've never seen these in person and curious about one thing. Do they only have a single strip of white LED's?

HeyLookItsCaps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never seen these in person and curious about one thing. Do they only have a single strip of white LED's?

It’s a fairly thick band, I’ll take some measurements and a pic when I get home. Tbh I never even investigated but I don’t think it’s single, they’re quite bright

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 136 60.2%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 64 28.3%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 81 35.8%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 39 17.3%
  • Other

Votes: 63 27.9%
Back