Growing phytoplankton correctly

Rawsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi all,

wondering if this is the right way to go about it.

Right now I am on day 2 of my setup and the only thing that concerns me is the color of the water/phyto.

Used this stuff to start the phyto culture
image.jpg

Used only enough to give the water a tint of green even though this stuff does not look super green to me, closer brown. Here’s what we’re looking like on day 2.

This is with grow light on, cellphone flash off

7092F4F5-38F4-421C-92F0-992E17716F75.jpeg

This is grow light off, and cell phone flash on
822A451B-BB01-4CFF-85A0-02E40E5F1E4B.jpeg

Color doesn’t look right ,what does everyone think?

Fishinabarrel

sCiEncE wILl Win
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef Nutrition is mostly dead phyto that is densely packed. Perfect for feeding various things.
But likely hard to get anything to grow.
My LFS sold me this exact bottle claiming it would be good for growing. Since then they have been arrested and evicted (#karma)!

Algaebarn, ebay, amazon, etsy all have folks selling phyto cultures for less than $30. Go this path......

Fishinabarrel

sCiEncE wILl Win
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It should not be stinky also.
How is the bubbling?
Is the light going to be directly on the bottle?

Cleanliness is critical too. I lost my colony at 6 months due to "something" growing.

OP
OP
Rawsreef

Rawsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef Nutrition is mostly dead phyto that is densely packed. Perfect for feeding various things.
My LFS sold me this exact bottle claiming it would be good for growing. Since then they have been arrested and evicted (#karma)!

Algaebarn, ebay, amazon, etsy all have folks selling phyto cultures for less than $30. Go this path......

This is exactly what I was fearing..

Will check algaebarn I have seen them alot and I even almost ordered pods from them once too.

I would try local reefers but then again, they could be selling me crap too.

Fishinabarrel

sCiEncE wILl Win
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is exactly what I was fearing..

Will check algaebarn I have seen them alot and I even almost ordered pods from them once too.

I would try local reefers but then again, they could be selling me crap too.
YOu might have someone local growing phyto. Check with the local reef club! They will be overwhelmed with phyto if so.

OP
OP
Rawsreef

Rawsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It should not be stinky also.
How is the bubbling?
Is the light going to be directly on the bottle?

Cleanliness is critical too. I lost my colony at 6 months due to "something" growing.
It was a brand new bottle that we drank out of. I then rinsed it with some RO and poured up fresh mixed saltwater into it. I would say it was clean enough, any way to tell for sure?

Look up @Eldredge on here for quality phyto. His stuff is 100% live, havests on sunday, ships on tuesday.

Thank you!

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The truth is....

Phytofeast has a few strains of phyto that can NOT be cultivated as its mixed

The 3 main strains of phyto are: Nanno, Tet and Iso

NANNO (Nannochloropsis gaditana) is a smallish, unflagellated yellow/green algae of 1-5 microns in size. In addition to being a great source of the polyunsaturated Omega-3 fatty acid eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA), it is a voracious consumer of nitrogenous waste products (e.g. ammonia and nitrate).

TET (Tetraselmis sp.) is a green biflagellated algae of 6-10 microns in size. It is known to be an excellent source of lipids, amino acids and the Omega-3 fatty acid docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) as well as EPA.

ISO (Isochrysis galbana) is a golden brown biflagellate algae of 10-14 microns in size. Valued for its extremely high DHA content, it is often used to enrich (i.e. make more nutritious) live zooplanktonic foods such as rotifers, copepods and brine shrimp. It also happens to be very readily accepted by many filter-feeding bivalve mollusks such as clams, scallops, oysters and mussels.

All 3 must be cultivated completely separated from each other.

They can COEXIST in a bottle....

....but during ant type of cultivation with light + fertilizer, cross contamination of an strain will kill all strains (which is a brown color indicating dead cells)

You can either cultivate 1 strain or all 3 strains (in separate containers) through online companies like:

Algaebarn
Mercer of Montana
Algae Research Suppy (my fav)

OP
OP
Rawsreef

Rawsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The truth is....

NANNO (Nannochloropsis gaditana) is a smallish, unflagellated yellow/green algae of 1-5 microns in size. In addition to being a great source of the polyunsaturated Omega-3 fatty acid eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA), it is a voracious consumer of nitrogenous waste products (e.g. ammonia and nitrate).

TET (Tetraselmis sp.) is a green biflagellated algae of 6-10 microns in size. It is known to be an excellent source of lipids, amino acids and the Omega-3 fatty acid docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) as well as EPA.

ISO (Isochrysis galbana) is a golden brown biflagellate algae of 10-14 microns in size. Valued for its extremely high DHA content, it is often used to enrich (i.e. make more nutritious) live zooplanktonic foods such as rotifers, copepods and brine shrimp. It also happens to be very readily accepted by many filter-feeding bivalve mollusks such as clams, scallops, oysters and mussels.

....but during ant type of cultivation with light + fertilizer, cross contamination of an strain will kill all strains (which is a brown color indicating dead cells)

You can either cultivate 1 strain or all 3 strains (in separate containers) through online companies like:

Algaebarn
Mercer of Montana

so basically I should just dump this bottle?

bummer

Reef Nutrition

We Feed Your Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I felt like since it sat out of the fridge over a day it may not be good anymore. Still used it on my 90 though since it really was not too much, everything seems okay :)
It's ok if you left it out for a day. I'm also glad you didn't just dump the bottle as this phytoplankton is still a great food source.

I would like to add that, yes, our Phyto-Feast Live does not make for a good starter culture. Your best bet is to search for clean, single species cultures. Make sure you buy from someone that knows what they are doing. You don't want to waste your money on a contaminated starter. University of Texas has excellent starters and are looked to by many in academia and aquaculture.

If you have any questions related to our products, please feel to reach out to me any time. I'm on here almost every day, except for weekends. Those are reserved for family. :)

Have a good weekend,
Chad

Safetysteve1314

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I need to try this to Breyer feed my corals

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0

they have been arrested and convicted? true story ?

OP
OP
Rawsreef

Rawsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's ok if you left it out for a day. I'm also glad you didn't just dump the bottle as this phytoplankton is still a great food source.

I would like to add that, yes, our Phyto-Feast Live does not make for a good starter culture. Your best bet is to search for clean, single species cultures. Make sure you buy from someone that knows what they are doing. You don't want to waste your money on a contaminated starter. University of Texas has excellent starters and are looked to by many in academia and aquaculture.

If you have any questions related to our products, please feel to reach out to me any time. I'm on here almost every day, except for weekends. Those are reserved for family. :)

Have a good weekend,
Chad

Thank you so much!

And just to give everyone an update I ended up placing an order with @Eldredge like a few people recommended. Got some phyto and some pods. Should arrive mid next week

I plan on having the same setup except maybe a larger bottle for the phyto, like a gallon jug and possibly a different tank for the pods as well. Preferably something with a spout at the bottom, like I’ve seen on some videos

HeyLookItsCaps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi all,

wondering if this is the right way to go about it.

Right now I am on day 2 of my setup and the only thing that concerns me is the color of the water/phyto.

Used this stuff to start the phyto culture
image.jpg

Used only enough to give the water a tint of green even though this stuff does not look super green to me, closer brown. Here’s what we’re looking like on day 2.

This is with grow light on, cellphone flash off

7092F4F5-38F4-421C-92F0-992E17716F75.jpeg

This is grow light off, and cell phone flash on
822A451B-BB01-4CFF-85A0-02E40E5F1E4B.jpeg

Color doesn’t look right ,what does everyone think?

I would order a starter culture from Poseidon Reef Systems. They also make the phyto tank setups and I’ve had a ton of success with both their dry goods and their cultures.

Edit : if you’re in or around Texas, or want to pay for shipping I can send you a pouch of mine, this is the 9th harvest and very dense.

3755D21D-FC3C-4BAC-89F7-5F1098BBA37A.jpeg
9F02D7B4-66E6-48F8-BB90-F76859B738C6.jpeg

NS Mike D

In the arena.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The truth is....

Algaebarn
Mercer of Montana

^^^^. pay attention to this.

I documented my phyto cultivation ecperience in the Tigger & Tisbe Pod Thread
It was a fun reef project but in the end I made way way more phyto than I could use and the small system was too hard to maintain temp and ammonia so it crashed. I took me months to use up the supply in my fridge. It's just way easier to buy it. I started dosing with Reef Nutrition phytofest which got me interested. With some research I went with the Mercer live phyto and fertilizer.

OP
OP
Rawsreef

Rawsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^^^^. pay attention to this.

I documented my phyto cultivation ecperience in the Tigger & Tisbe Pod Thread
It was a fun reef project but in the end I made way way more phyto than I could use and the small system was too hard to maintain temp and ammonia so it crashed. I took me months to use up the supply in my fridge. It's just way easier to buy it. I started dosing with Reef Nutrition phytofest which got me interested. With some research I went with the Mercer live phyto and fertilizer.
Don’t see a problem there. If I have more than I need I can just sell it to local reefers, maybe even some LFS?

Also I just plan on doing 1 run to generate a good amount of phyto to feed my pods and both my tanks.

whenever I run low I can just throw the remaining phyto into a fresh mix of salt and basically refill on phyto.

Literally sounds like an endless supply, of FRESH live food. Not sure how it could be better to just buy it every time. Easier? Yes maybe but not efficient imo

Also just realized what you said about the temp and ammonia. Do you mean your stored phyto would crash or the grow tank? I have not got that far along yet so I have not ran into any issues like this

OP
OP
Rawsreef

Rawsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would order a starter culture from Poseidon Reef Systems. They also make the phyto tank setups and I’ve had a ton of success with both their dry goods and their cultures.

Edit : if you’re in or around Texas, or want to pay for shipping I can send you a pouch of mine, this is the 9th harvest and very dense.

3755D21D-FC3C-4BAC-89F7-5F1098BBA37A.jpeg
9F02D7B4-66E6-48F8-BB90-F76859B738C6.jpeg
Really awesome of you my friend! I am in the south FL area, already ordered the phyto but I will look into these containers

thank you !!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 38.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back