Gsp seems dull

curtisbenm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome choice on lighting! You won't be disappointed. Heaters are one of the biggest down falls in the hobby. They tend to fail. If your heater fails, gets stuck in the on position (it happens), your tank is cooked in no time. Maybe look into temp controllers. Always have a back up plan. Always be prepared.

OP
OP
myyellas2k

myyellas2k

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On a related note - my calcium is THRU THE ROOF at 640 ...
And yes- I used tap water and live sand.
Also just bumped my salinity up last night too.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On a related note - my calcium is THRU THE ROOF at 640 ...
And yes- I used tap water and live sand.
Also just bumped my salinity up last night too.

Whoa! How did that happen? Are you dosing? Also, how are you measuring salinity?

OP
OP
myyellas2k

myyellas2k

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have VERY hard water in my area.
To the point where I grew up at my parents house with water softeners and such ... good ole North Jersey :)

The tank is 3 months old ..

Measured with a lovely hydrometer. I know ..I know .. refractometer is needed. I know.

CurtnStac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same issue after a tank upgrade. I put it in the same spot in the new tank, same flow, same light. Have no clue why mine lost color. I've had it for a few years.
Screenshot_2018-02-19-21-35-26.png
20170716153327-1.jpg

Bruce Burnett

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Temp is not a problem as mine runs 80-82 sometimes in the summer 83-84 I don't run chiller or heaters but added fans to keep it closer to 80-81. Get the RO/DI unit and good lighting. My GSP is in fairly high flow and even grows on the wave pump, started with a piece about 1-2 inches long and in six months was covering two large rocks and about a foot of the back wall. When it really starts growing it will drop pieces be sure to remove them are you will find it growing where you don't want it. Lots of people look at it as a pest to me monti caps and Chalice are pest as they will grow over everything while GSP can be isolated to a rock or two pretty easy.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Mine are in the path of moderate lights with blues and low flow and are vivid green. I think placement, lighting and water flow are essentials to their happiness

Spectre66

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same thing happen to my GSP after being green forover a year in my tank. Over the course of a month they went to a purpleish brown and my wife even commented I should toss them and start over. Nothing had really changed equipment wise but I had been lazy about water changes and testing. I did some testing and phosphates were a bit high, nitrate was at 0 but my alkalinity was at 6.5. Calcium was somewhere around 400, maybe 390.

I performed a 50g water change(RSCP) on 120g water volume system, raised the alk up to about 8.5 over the course of a couple days. I also started feeding heavier to try to bring my nitrates up a bit as well as restarted my RS Reef Energy A&B dosing. GSP started showing some green within a week and were fully recovered inside of 3 weeks.

OP
OP
myyellas2k

myyellas2k

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Light is in... looks PURDY!

GSP still ... eh.

Don’t really have a ledge to put it ... yet
Going to LFS tomorrow to grab some rock

Rich1987

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My gsp is in direct flow of a MP40 on reef crest and some of the individual polyps will from time to time loose color but my Kole tang and lawnmower blend occasionally pick at them for some reason but mine is the size of a softball so it doesn’t seem to make a big difference also my temp is at 77 degrees 24/7

OP
OP
myyellas2k

myyellas2k

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still no big change ...
I was advised to use Reef Energy 1&2, every other day, 10 ml

And I moved it up on the rock about 1/2 up. So it’s about 18” from the top of water and 5” from the light -ish

OP
OP
myyellas2k

myyellas2k

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it appears as if it has been the same - or sadly worse.

I am still dosing every other day with the reef energy a&b - only using the 5ml (small cup side).
Should I be doing this now everyday ?

Back