GSP won't open!

lukefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It hasn't come out in 4 days now. Starting to get bit worried.

Sorry for the brevity, but Im at work...worrying!

I seem to have 'invested' in a dodgy marine test kit which shows my parameters as follows:

Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate between 5 and 10
pH - no idea as the reading colour doesn't match anything on the chart

Phosphate - 0.03
Salinity - 35ppt

Temp - 26*C

I'll have to take a water sample to the LFS to get these readings confirmed.

On the day the GSP closed up, I had scraped the tank glass to get rid of some of the algae and then vacuumed the scrapings out... Maybe some of it got into the heads of the GSP... I've since used a pipette to try to clean the GSP rock. When I was doing this, I noticed there was what looked like a sand trail running in a squiggly line from the top tot he bottom of the surface of the rock, in between the GSP heads. Im not sure if this is a clue that there is something in the rock that is disturbing the coral. I wish I took a picture. Perhaps I should dip the coral?

Just incase this is relevant:

I am using Reef Brite Enhance and Rock Brite Enhance every other week interchangeably - half a scoop as advised.

Not sure if that's causing problems...!

I feed my clowns frozen brine - half a cube every other day and on the non-brine shrimp day, they get a couple of marine flakes.

If you need any other information, or have any advice, let me know.

TIA!!!

maccyg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine wouldn't open at all if I had high phosphate - once my phosphate was in check (using Rowaphos) it was fine

OP
OP
lukefish

lukefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are a few pics for you to have a look... does it look like it’s “melting”?

24CE8527-CFC9-4D3F-9B60-284D5CDBC651.jpeg

CC43117A-1070-4194-9391-B4DA0E73C889.jpeg
FD30B323-073B-4F9B-A196-0580400F06A9.jpeg

These are the best angles I can get without physically picking it up to take a pic.. which I can do but want to avoid touching or disturbing it for now

thanks everyone

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
GSP doesn't care about anything but a flow over and not into it. It will open unless you have a seriously serious problem.

OP
OP
lukefish

lukefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GSP doesn't care about anything but a flow over and not into it. It will open unless you have a seriously serious problem.
I’ve had all basic parameters checked by the LFS. Nothing wrong with the water. I guess this GSP is just being stubborn.
As long as the pics don’t look like something major wrong, I’ll leave it to get on with being how it is for now

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GSP can sort of act as a canary in a coal mine, but they can also just be finicky sometimes. Blow it off with a turkey baster (give it a good blasting to dislodge any debris, a little pipette might not be good enough) and make sure it has decent flow. Other than that, get some tests for PH, alkalinity, calc, and magnesium, or as you said, take it the lfs (mine charges for tests, but they use the API Aquaspin, so if yours does, it’s cheaper in the long run to get your own testing equipment).

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gsp are not that fussy at all when it comes to phosphates ,
but they do not like sudden changes in all , salinity or temp .

they will close up if they are getting too much direct flow .
Mine close up every night and when the lights come on , it takes a few mins to open

what is reef brite enhance ?
What is it supposed to do?

again , I wouldn’t add or dose anything that I haven’t tested the need for

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No idea I’m afraid. I don’t have lots to test for those... yet.
Without knowing your basic parameters, were all just guessing here. Could be low cal, high alk, low mag, who knows. But all of these will effect it in some way or another(specially high or low ALK).

And trust me, it's not impossible to kill. Pretty much bullet proof compared to other corals, but certainly not impossible to kill. High alk will kill it very quickly, ask me how I know.......

One should never place coral in a tank, unless the basic parameters are met, and you have test kits for those, or at the very least, an LFS that will test them for you(still better to have your own test kits).

OP
OP
lukefish

lukefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GSP can sort of act as a canary in a coal mine, but they can also just be finicky sometimes. Blow it off with a turkey baster (give it a good blasting to dislodge any debris, a little pipette might not be good enough) and make sure it has decent flow. Other than that, get some tests for PH, alkalinity, calc, and magnesium, or as you said, take it the lfs (mine charges for tests, but they use the API Aquaspin, so if yours does, it’s cheaper in the long run to get your own testing equipment).
Good advice. Thank you.

MPCReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good advice. Thank you.
Exact issue currently with my GSP frag. I noticed a small bit of hair algae clinging to it Monday morning so I pulled that off, since then he's been MAD. I noticed Alk did drop significantly in the last couple of days right after a water change so I did another water change last night. Today is the third day it has not come out after looking really good last week. Will test ALK again later today to see if WC raised a bit. All other parameters look good:

Salinity 1.025
ph 8.0
Nitrate 5
PO4 .1
Ca 410
Mag 1200
Temp 78-79

OP
OP
lukefish

lukefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exact issue currently with my GSP frag. I noticed a small bit of hair algae clinging to it Monday morning so I pulled that off, since then he's been MAD. I noticed Alk did drop significantly in the last couple of days right after a water change so I did another water change last night. Today is the third day it has not come out after looking really good last week. Will test ALK again later today to see if WC raised a bit. All other parameters look good:

Salinity 1.025
ph 8.0
Nitrate 5
PO4 .1
Ca 410
Mag 1200
Temp 78-79
Thanks for commenting and sharing your experience. It’s annoying how easy everyone says this particular coral is supposed to be and it’s the only one I’m having issues with.
I was chatting with the guy at my LFS who said GSP doesn’t grown in his tank. He’s tried and it doesn’t do anything. Not sure how/why.

He gave me something called Red Sea Reef Energy Coral Nutrition and said to add 1mm every couple of days. I’ll let you know how it goes

MPCReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for commenting and sharing your experience. It’s annoying how easy everyone says this particular coral is supposed to be and it’s the only one I’m having issues with.
I was chatting with the guy at my LFS who said GSP doesn’t grown in his tank. He’s tried and it doesn’t do anything. Not sure how/why.

He gave me something called Red Sea Reef Energy Coral Nutrition and said to add 1mm every couple of days. I’ll let you know how it goes
I know exactly what you mean! I have two other zoa frags that are doing great in this same frag QT!

MPCReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How was your GSP today? Mine came out again today after three days of being mad. Hopefully he's out fully tomorrow.

OP
OP
lukefish

lukefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How was your GSP today? Mine came out again today after three days of being mad. Hopefully he's out fully tomorrow.
Mine looks as though it’s coming out slowly but surely! I have an idea as to what was causing it to retract. I’ll post my theory if I can figure out if it’s right it or not!

Happy yours is making a recovery!!

Back