A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No one with Nature's Ocean sand...?:flushed-face:

Thanks
I am using natures ocean, don’t remember what type though. It has some crushed coral and shells and the sand is fine. I went for it for the same reason because caribsea was out of stock (and still is).
I Don’t really like it, sand is either too small or the crushed shells are too big.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you should have access to stuff like this which has been working really well for me, just crushed coral skeletons which is super cheap. i also added a bag of the cheapest aragonite i could find (5pounds aragonite to 25 pounds crushed coral).

Attachments

• 20220502_183559.jpg
    20220502_183559.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 22

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am using natures ocean, don’t remember what type though. It has some crushed coral and shells and the sand is fine. I went for it for the same reason because caribsea was out of stock (and still is).
I Don’t really like it, sand is either too small or the crushed shells are too big.
same that is why i went this diy route with crushed coral and aragonite, no shells at all but more uniform sized particles

OP
OP
oldmonk

oldmonk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That input helps..

Thanks

OP
OP
oldmonk

oldmonk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you should have access to stuff like this which has been working really well for me, just crushed coral skeletons which is super cheap. i also added a bag of the cheapest aragonite i could find (5pounds aragonite to 25 pounds crushed coral).
Things were better pre pandemic. But now post covid, either the stocks are not coming or if they come prices have sky rocketed.

Thanks

OP
OP
oldmonk

oldmonk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To answer your other question, I have used oceans direct before with no problem. I think most people go for Caribsea just because it's readily available.
Looking at the people's choice overall, Caribsea is the most sought after sand.

Will check with the Caribsea vendor here who used to stock. But given the increased import costs, doubt if that guy will order any stuff soon.

Have another 35-40 days in hand.

Thanks

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think very rare are issues with sand sold as safe for aquariums/reefs. Black sand may or may not have magnetic particles and playground sand contains silica. Petco sells Nature's Ocean sand, I'm sure it's safe.

ScubaFish802

Just keep swimming
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fiji pink would be .5mm finer than special grade or so.. probably have that on just about every LFS shelf in the world if you're near one

OP
OP
oldmonk

oldmonk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think very rare are issues with sand sold as safe for aquariums/reefs. Black sand may or may not have magnetic particles and playground sand contains silica. Petco sells Nature's Ocean sand, I'm sure it's safe.
Yes. Nature's Ocean should be good sand. Am not against it. Just that the grain size am looking for is not available.

I even worked out importing cost for TLF, Tropic Eden etc on individual basis. Cost of sand seems negligible looking at the overheads till door step. :pleading-face:

Thanks.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 15 78.9%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Other

Votes: 2 10.5%
Back