Guide to the Triton Method

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Why was your parameters all over the place? Doesnt the Triton Method require you to send it water for ICP testing periodically and tell you what you need to do? I would like to know that even if you follow what the ICP test tells you to do would it not work? Also would you equate the Triton Method to Zeovit in terms of adjusting and dosing a bunch of trace elements etc with the main difference being carbon dosing/zeo rocks instead of the fuge?
Iron was an issue, magnesium, calcium and alkalinity were both off from each other as well, even though I was dosing equal amounts of all four. I would make corrections, then something else would change, it was kinda crazy, nothing seemed to click. Heavy metals were an issue, but that could've been something else, but never really verified it. This is coming from someone who has 40 years in the hobby. As soon as I switched back to 2 part, everything turned around for the better. The thing is, I really wanted it to work. Dosing four elements, no water changes, what's not to like, right?
I wouldn't know about zeovit, never used it, but I do use flatworm stop. I'm actually using the reef moonshiners program, same as Paletta and others, with really good results. In fact, it's rather simple and doesn't have requirements as far as gear, setup, etc. I haven't performed a water change in a month or so and my latest ICP results show improvements and less corrections. It's really a no brainer and doesn't cost a fortune to implement.
I still use a fuge for nutrient export, along with a great skimmer and I do carbon dose, but it's really a small amount.
I also want to point out that I'm not here to bash Triton, because there are plenty of reefers out there who are successful with it, I'm just not one of them. But I wanted to give my thoughts from someone with a lot of experience, but struggled with it.

jasony816

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Iron was an issue, magnesium, calcium and alkalinity were both off from each other as well, even though I was dosing equal amounts of all four. I would make corrections, then something else would change, it was kinda crazy, nothing seemed to click. Heavy metals were an issue, but that could've been something else, but never really verified it. This is coming from someone who has 40 years in the hobby. As soon as I switched back to 2 part, everything turned around for the better. The thing is, I really wanted it to work. Dosing four elements, no water changes, what's not to like, right?
I wouldn't know about zeovit, never used it, but I do use flatworm stop. I'm actually using the reef moonshiners program, same as Paletta and others, with really good results. In fact, it's rather simple and doesn't have requirements as far as gear, setup, etc. I haven't performed a water change in a month or so and my latest ICP results show improvements and less corrections. It's really a no brainer and doesn't cost a fortune to implement.
I still use a fuge for nutrient export, along with a great skimmer and I do carbon dose, but it's really a small amount.
I also want to point out that I'm not here to bash Triton, because there are plenty of reefers out there who are successful with it, I'm just not one of them. But I wanted to give my thoughts from someone with a lot of experience, but struggled with it.
Thanks, what is the moonshiners method, never heard of it before.

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Julian@Triton can you tell me if iodine is included in Part 1? I experienced an overdose of part 1 emptying my container of about 800ml as my best ballpark guess ammount. Magnesium hardly moved however my latest tests indicate Iodine went through the roof and I am trying to figure out where it came from. Through the roof means 829 ug/l to the set point of 60 ug/l. I had always been iodine deficient and dosed 3ml per week to keep up.

Julian@Triton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks for your input. It supports everything that we at TRITON have found through our research.
If you do not run a standardised filter it is almost impossible to maintain a standardised dosage system as no system caters to all filtration types.
Maybe the new supplementation system you use "by chance" matches the filtration system you have configured but this is pure luck and I am happy for your success :).

Just want to make something clear for everyone reading this thread.
You were using TRITON Reef Supplements (OTHER METHODS) on your aquarium and NOT TRITON Base Supplements (FULL TRITON METHOD).

One more question...

Are you an agent for Moonshiner ;)?

Last edited:

jasony816

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Julian@Triton Can you give me some advice/recommendations based on my comments earlier regarding setup, when to start, and if you can use any form of filter socks and or bio media in addition to the Triton Method or is the fuge enough?

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks for your input. It supports everything that we at TRITON have found through our research.
If you do not run a standardised filter it is almost impossible to maintain a standardised dosage system as no system caters to all filtration types.
Maybe the new supplementation system you use "by chance" matches the filtration system you have configured but this is pure luck and I am happy for your success :).

Just want to make something clear for everyone reading this thread.
You were using TRITON Reef Supplements (OTHER METHODS) on your aquarium and NOT TRITON Base Supplements (FULL TRITON METHOD).

One more question...

Are you an agent for Moonshiner ;)?
No agent here and apologize. I wasn't trying to derail the thread, but wanted to give my honest experience. If you or a mod need to retract that part from my post, I'm completely fine with it. That's why I took the conversation elsewhere (pm'd the member), again apologies for the interruption in the thread. Cheers.

Julian@Triton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No agent here and apologize. I wasn't trying to derail the thread, but wanted to give my honest experience. If you or a mod need to retract that part from my post, I'm completely fine with it. That's why I took the conversation elsewhere (pm'd the member), again apologies for the interruption in the thread. Cheers.

No need to retract anything and no need to apologise. We at TRITON welcome debate and discussion.

Interested to know why, if your system had a refugium (algae filter), you were not using TRITON Base Elements (Full TRITON Method)?

Julian@Triton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HI I am new to the Triton Method and would like to use it for my new bare bottom SPS/LPS tank setup (RSR 425xl) that is currently cycling with about 40-50lbs caribsea live rock and have a few questions:

1. Can I use filter socks before fuge to try to keep the fuge somewhat clean?
2. Can I use bio media such as Seachem Matrix/MP/Spiorax since I am only using 40-50lb of live rock for a total water volume including tank is 112 gallons and I think I need more bio filtration.
3. When can I start adding chaeto?
4. When should I do ICP testing and dosing the CORE 7?

Sorry I missed this...

In answer to your questions:

1) Yes you can and many do, but it is not part of our Method and we do not find it necessary. Good flow and a healthy fuge will deal with any detritus.

2) Yes you can but same as above. It could also potentially add contaminants to your system depending on the brand.

3) If you have bioload, (fish and coral) then you can add your algae. It will only grow if there is food (N and P) to feed it.

4) You can start dosing Core7 as soon as you see a drop in Alkalinity. I would recommend an ICP test after the first month.

I hope this answers your questions and helps. You can also contact me, as part of the TRITON Support Team ([email protected]) once you receive your ICP results for free advice.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
No need to retract anything and no need to apologise. We at TRITON welcome debate and discussion.

Interested to know why, if your system had a refugium (algae filter), you were not using TRITON Base Elements (Full TRITON Method)?
I think I was on the low end of the refugium size. I initially started with other methods, then I went with the full version. It was after I went with the full version that I encountered problems. I think there was a short period of time where everything was looking good, but it didn't last long.

Julian@Triton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I was on the low end of the refugium size. I initially started with other methods, then I went with the full version. It was after I went with the full version that I encountered problems. I think there was a short period of time where everything was looking good, but it didn't last long.

Very interesting John and contrary to the experience of most. A quick search of your posts clearly shows that you are really not a fan of the TRITON Method. I can understand your frustration if you were unable to successfully implement our system but I cannot help but ask the question... Why are you even looking at this forum?

I appreciate your right to an opinion but your presence on the TRITON Applied Reef Bioscience forum and promoting our competitors really makes me question your motivation?

Apologies if I am reading you wrong and happy to assist in any way possible if you would like to rejoin our community. I am even willing to advise you personally via our Support Team ([email protected]) if required. As a qualified marine biologist, with over 20 years industry experience, I find the best part of my job these days is helping people to maintain successful reef aquariums. Definitely beats paperwork :)

Last edited:

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Very interesting John and contrary to the experience of most. A quick search of your posts clearly shows that you are really not a fan of the TRITON Method. I can understand your frustration if you were unable to successfully implement our system but I cannot help but ask the question... Why are you even looking at this forum?

I appreciate your right to an opinion but your presence on the TRITON Applied Reef Bioscience forum and promoting our competitors really makes me question your motivation?

Apologies if I am reading you wrong and happy to assist in any way possible if you would like to rejoin our community. I am even willing to advise you personally via our Support Team ([email protected]) if required. As a qualified biologist with over 20 years industry experience, the best part of my job is helping people to maintain successful reef aquariums.
I actually did reach out for support initially and also talked with the guys at unique corals, (they're a 15 minute drive from me). I followed the ICP recommendations, water changes, adjustments, dosing iodine and other elements, etc....I just couldn't get things to move in a positive direction.
Sorry, I really didn't mean to derail the thread and if you want to delete my posts in this thread, please do. I really don't mind at all. I don't promote a brand or a competitor, but I do promote success when I can. I probably responded to this thread because I never selected to unfollow it, my bad. Sometimes I'll respond to posts that I follow without looking at the thread title. I guess I need to pay more attention?
As far as the method, I actually was a fan of Triton, or at least I started out as one and had no intentions on bashing the method. As I mentioned earlier, there are plenty of successful reefers using Triton, I'm just not one of them. I don't make a habit of bashing products or methods, but I do give my honest and humble opinion when I feel it might help others. If you feel like my posts meant harm, then please remove them, it wasn't my intention at all. I've been in this hobby longer than most on here have been alive. So I gathered a lot of experience and knowledge over the years and I wanted to try a different approach with my new tank, because that's what we do sometimes, we experiment. It didn't work out for me. I moved on and I don't hold a grudge, I'm an adult.
I see those posts where members bash others or products, methods, etc, and I certainly don't want to be counted among those particular hobbyists. Again, not my intention. I don't recall ever being negative towards Triton on here, not in the way that would be misconstrued as bashing, have I?
If so, I sincerely apologize and will not contest my removal from this thread.
My apologies to the R2R community as well. You can look at all of my posts here on R2R and you will find them friendly, hopefully helpful and for the most part, contributing to the hobby in a positive way. I thank you for your time and apologize for taking up time on this thread. Cheers and happy reefing!

Julian@Triton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually did reach out for support initially and also talked with the guys at unique corals, (they're a 15 minute drive from me). I followed the ICP recommendations, water changes, adjustments, dosing iodine and other elements, etc....I just couldn't get things to move in a positive direction.
Sorry, I really didn't mean to derail the thread and if you want to delete my posts in this thread, please do. I really don't mind at all. I don't promote a brand or a competitor, but I do promote success when I can. I probably responded to this thread because I never selected to unfollow it, my bad. Sometimes I'll respond to posts that I follow without looking at the thread title. I guess I need to pay more attention?
As far as the method, I actually was a fan of Triton, or at least I started out as one and had no intentions on bashing the method. As I mentioned earlier, there are plenty of successful reefers using Triton, I'm just not one of them. I don't make a habit of bashing products or methods, but I do give my honest and humble opinion when I feel it might help others. If you feel like my posts meant harm, then please remove them, it wasn't my intention at all. I've been in this hobby longer than most on here have been alive. So I gathered a lot of experience and knowledge over the years and I wanted to try a different approach with my new tank, because that's what we do sometimes, we experiment. It didn't work out for me. I moved on and I don't hold a grudge, I'm an adult.
I see those posts where members bash others or products, methods, etc, and I certainly don't want to be counted among those particular hobbyists. Again, not my intention. I don't recall ever being negative towards Triton on here, not in the way that would be misconstrued as bashing, have I?
If so, I sincerely apologize and will not contest my removal from this thread.
My apologies to the R2R community as well. You can look at all of my posts here on R2R and you will find them friendly, hopefully helpful and for the most part, contributing to the hobby in a positive way. I thank you for your time and apologize for taking up time on this thread. Cheers and happy reefing!

Understood that it didn't work for you and again, no need to apologise. We at TRITON work towards increased transparency within our industry and would never remove a thread post. We encourage people to research all of the options and find a method of reefkeeping that makes sense for them.

Wishing you the best reefing success with your choice of method, system or product range.

Metabolic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi is there a recommendation on water depth of refuge? I have a dedicated sump 1200-900mm about 440lt water height is 400mm high, concerned that water could pass under the Matt of algae and the top dying off because the light not penetrate to bottom.
light is a Mars hydro 450w full spec, 24” above, haven’t maxed it out yet.

also assuming the fuge is a reserve of nutrients could I keep feeding it till it maxes out and cycles? And what nitrate level would I like to see in test just before the tipping point?

Julian@Triton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great sized refugium. This water depth is more than enough.

You are best to get the algae down below the water surface if possible. We usually recommend that you have a large piece of live rock in the refugium and try and attach the algae to this. If the algae is on the surface it seems to trap nutrients and cause other, less desirable algae to grow amongst the Chaeto.

Metabolic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks Julian, yes i started with some small bits of rock but the mat gets so much oxygen bubbles on it and loves to float
IMG_6676.jpg

Julian@Triton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes that is fairly common. That other algae at the surface should be discarded. We recommend one large rock in preference to multiple small ones.

Parsa0361

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys
I've just started Triton method.
Do I have to remove filter socks?
Does carbon active existence effect on method?

Last edited:

Julian@Triton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys
I've just started Triton method.
Do I have to remove filter socks?
Does carbon active existence effect on method?
Filter socks and other forms of pre-filtration are not part of the TRITON Method but many aquarists still use them without any issues.

Constant use of high quality carbon IS recommended as part of the TRITON Method.

Back