GUIDE: Using buttons and switches with PLM-Adin Card!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Macca_75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@AZMSGT and @Gaël - sorry I misread the post but I think we are all on the same page.

The PLM-ADIN card gives inputs to the Profilux (allows you to read the status of a button for example), the L&S Port breakout box gives more outputs from the Profilux (allows you to control a DC pump for example).

Apologies for any confusion I caused by misreading the post.

Macca_75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe the answer is yes. But the ADIN card gives just another way using a different port.
I believe the answer is no (but am happy to be corrected).

PLM-ADIN is an INPUT, L&S Breakouts are OUTPUT's

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe the answer is no (but am happy to be corrected).

PLM-ADIN is an INPUT, L&S Breakouts are OUTPUT's
You could be correct, I haven’t tried either config.. I’ve got the parts.. just haven’t tried it.

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I also have a write up for using the breakout box with up to 8 relays- will be posting that later today. Difficult to format things so they read well in a forum post.
Did you ever post about using relays? I couldn't find one relating to that but am looking to use the pl-adin to monitor for power outage, so would appreciate if you have any info. I understand the concept, just tryng to figure out how to apply it.

OP
OP
TheHarold

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you ever post about using relays? I couldn't find one relating to that but am looking to use the pl-adin to monitor for power outage, so would appreciate if you have any info. I understand the concept, just tryng to figure out how to apply it.

That would be using their $30 S-Port & L-Port Breakout Box, not the PLM-ADIN. Its nice since that is not an additional card- its external.

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That would be using their $30 S-Port & L-Port Breakout Box, not the PLM-ADIN. Its nice since that is not an additional card- its external.
Hmm, my understanding was I needed the plm-adin using a relay. How would the breakout box work to detect a power outage? The GHL write up says to use a plm-adin since a digital input is needed. I am using a Profilux 3, so no built in port for power loss monitoring.

I was going off this writeup:

OP
OP
TheHarold

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm, my understanding was I needed the plm-adin using a relay. How would the breakout box work to detect a power outage? The GHL write up says to use a plm-adin since a digital input is needed. I am using a Profilux 3, so no built in port for power loss monitoring.

I was going off this writeup:

Oh yeah, you could use that for power loss detection (input). I was thinking to control relays (output)

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh yeah, you could use that for power loss detection (input). I was thinking to control relays (output)
Yeah, I'm just not sure which relay I would need. Do you have one you have used or recommend?

Enea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, using the analog ports (1-10V) of the ADIN board, is it possible to create boolean functions in order to increase the number of buttons and not only have 4?

BeFreshW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@TheHarold, I'm a bit new to this so its possible that i'm completely wrong about this.
But would it be possible to connect up to 16 buttons to the ADIN port if you use combinations of pins 2-5 and the programmable logic. so you can create up to 16 different outcomes.
for example:
button 1 is connected to pin 2 (1000)* with outcome feed pause
button 2 is connected to pin 2 & 3 (1100) with outcome maintenance
button 16 is connected to pins 2-4 (1111) with outcome foto mode (lights adjust to be more realistic on camera for 15 min.)
*(0000) "binary" form of the pins with 1 being connected/ activated/powered and 0 not connected.

I would connect the pins parallel to each button or use an arduino to perhaps tidy things a bit up and do the calculations.

Macca_75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using the GHL PLM-ADIN Card with Buttons for Feed, Maintenance,
Activating Programs,
and Shutting Off Devices.

WARNING: This is just an account of how I have my personal system set up. Work with electrical devices at your own risk, as serious damage to person or property can occur. Especially near water. Read all manufacturer instructions, and be sensible.

The GHL PLM-ADIN Card gives you four digital inputs and two 0-10v inputs. It can be installed in a Profilux 4 expansion slot (there are two slots available) or in the Expansion Box 2. Here we are using the digital inputs with buttons to enable your feed programs, maintenance programs, or to turn on/off specific outlets or subroutines. You can also use digital inputs in combination with float switches, magnetic switches, etc.

To physically install the PLM-ADIN Card, follow the video located below. The only tool you will need is a T10 Torx screwdriver/bit.

The ADIN card includes a ½ meter RJ45 cable, and a RJ45 to DB9 adapter. Here there are a few options to connect, depending on your preference. I do not suggest using the DB9 adapter (and purchasing a DB9 terminal breakout). It creates an additional connection that is not necessary if you use a RJ45 breakout (details below).

RJ45 breakout adapters are available for under $10 on Amazon, Ebay, etc. One end of the RJ45 cable connects to the RJ45 port and allows you to use screw terminals to connect your switches and buttons. Of course, the other end of the RJ45 cable (Either the included ½ meter cable or another of your preferred length) would be in the ADIN card.

Image: Example RJ45 breakouts.
Hu

Wiring digital inputs:

To sum it up: Digital inputs are activated if the given pin is connected to ground. It’s quite simple. This can be accomplished in many ways; buttons, toggle switches, float switches, etc.

Momentary buttons are best for activating timed modes such as Feed Pause or Maintenance. A momentary button is only activated while the button is pressed- when you release it, the input is no longer active. Feed Pauses and Maintenance involve the easiest programming, as it can be done directly via the "Digital Input" tab.

Latching buttons or toggle switches are best for keeping something off until you un-latch it again. Note that this requires programming logic.

The PLM-ADIN card has the following pinout. The pins highlighted in red are NOT used for this application.

Pin 1: 10v (Do not use)
Pin 2: Digital Input 1
Pin 3: Digital Input 2
Pin 4: Digital Input 3
Pin 5: Digital Input 4
Pin 6: 0-10v input #1
Pin 7: 0-10v input #2

Pin 8: Ground

So if you wanted to have a button on Digital Input 1, the button would go in between Pin 2 and Pin 8. When pressed, the button would activate the input and your programming.

Screen Shot 2020-11-05 at 10.48.37 AM.png

You can also chain the grounds from multiple buttons. This is convenient because you can only fit one wire into the terminal of the breakout.
Screen Shot 2020-11-05 at 10.48.50 AM.png

Digital Input Programming (Basic):

If you add a ADIN card to your Profilux, it will be assigned to Digital Input 1-4. Digital Inputs are easy to find in the Profilux menu, and once opened, you can assign a function (Feed Pause or Maintenance) to each input! It could not be easier.
  • If the Digital Input is activated once, the Function will begin.
  • If the Digital Input is activated again, the Function will be cancelled.
Screen Shot 2020-11-05 at 10.52.09 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-11-05 at 10.52.12 AM.png

Digital Inputs in Programming Logic (Advanced):

Digital inputs are also available in programming logic for more advanced use. For example, if you wanted to keep a switch channel off indefinitely while a digital input activated (for example using a toggle switch or latching button), you can add the appropriate code to your programming logic.

One could add “AND Digital Input 1” to previous programming logic to turn it off while the digital input is activated.

Note that the switch channel must be set to programming logic for any of this to apply. It cannot be set as a generic device type (pump, etc).

The below image shows adding programming logic #8 with the digital input shutoff, by adding on "AND Digital Input 1" to the previous logic (#7).

Screen Shot 2020-11-05 at 10.58.32 AM.png

This is the switch box I made, using 2 latching toggle switches and two momentary buttons. The momentary buttons activate Feed Pause and Maintenance, and the latching ones are dedicated for my stand lighting and a manual override to shut off everything.

Note I wired it directly to the switches, avoiding the RJ45 breakout mentioned in the article.

IMG_7582.jpeg

Let me know if you have any questions, and if you think I should make more Profilux guides!

Do you happen to know what the current draw of the illuminated momentary switches is? Could you run 2 of them from the 10v (pin1) line? I searched but haven't really been able to find the draw of the illuminated part anywhere (all specs seem to refer to what the switch can handle)

Thanks

OP
OP
TheHarold

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where do I buy a button contraption like the one you pictured if I'm a quasi-DIYer?

I made 15 of those a while back, and sold them all. If there is enough interest (Lets say 5+ people) I can order parts for another batch.

IMG_7582.jpeg

Wyou

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a fleece filter. Unfortunately, it has no application of its own, but I really want to know how much clean fleece I have left in the roll at the moment. To do this, I need some kind of signal counter, ideally with a threshold warning. I can send the motor on signal to the PL-Adm input. Any idea how to implement a counter on the Profilux?

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe a work around. Is the motor on signal a digital on signal? ( I.e. a relay contact that's is on when the motor run) or is it a volt signal (I.e. you get the actual motor voltage). Of it is a relay signal (a on/off contact) - you can use i directly to the add in port - if it is a voltage - you need to have a relay before the adin port. When you get your adin port to work when the motor is on - you knit this digital input to switch that is NOT assigned to ant physical device. In my case digital input 3 and switch channel 36

1673293463015.png

Now look for an unused dosing pump function - in my case dose pump 31. In calibration - fill in 1 ml/min for both values. Activate sampling of data and use respond to index 36. Try to calculate how many minutes a full reel will last - I have assumed 60 minutes here - its probably longer - but as an example. min to 10 ml and activate alarm. Now you will get an alarm when the roller has run for total 50 minutes

1673294494585.png

When digital input switch on switch 36 - the "virtual" pump 31 will run and recording how much it "dose" because your calibration is 1 ml/minute - you can read the sampled ml as minutes. In the fill staple - you will see how much ml (read minute) is left on the reel

There is probably mote ways but this is one

I have done this with my heater (S 19 and dose pump 29)

1673294870640.png

And here is the responding chart for last 24 hours

1673295082553.png

It shows 96,2 ml - it means - it has run for 96,2 minutes - 1.6 hours * 200 W -> 0.32 kWh

Sincerely Lasse

Dave-T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm having an issue with using momentary switches (buttons) with the PLM-Adin card, and I thought I'd post my question here, I hope that's ok.

So I connected a button to the PLM-Adin card, that I want to use to initiate a feed pause. It kinda works - if I press the button the feed pause will initiate. But, there is a pretty significant delay, I have to hold the button down for a few seconds before the Profilux sees the button press. Is there any way to get rid of this delay? I'd like to just press the button with a quick tap.

I'd also like to use a button to initiate a light scenario, but unfortunately I can't control my Mitras lights from my profilux.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My buttons need to be pressed for around 1 sec - I´ll think it is safety reasons - a touch of mistake should not start anything

I'd also like to use a button to initiate a light scenario, but unfortunately I can't control my Mitras lights from my profilux.
You need this extension card

Sincerely Lasse

Last edited:

Dave-T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My buttons need to be pressed for around 1 sec - I´ll think it is safety reasons - a touch of mistake should not start anything

Sincerely Lasse

I have that card. Unfortunately, it doesn't work in the GHL expansion box, only in the Profilux. My profilux is on the other side of my house, and I have an expansion box by my display tank where the lights I want to control are. The range of the card won't reach my tank. Even more strange is that you need the card in the first place - both the Profilux and Mitras lights are on my WiFi network, why can't the profilux talk to the lights over wifi?

Sincerely Lasse

If you're saying that it's a feature, not a bug - I'm not buying it. How could you accidentally push a button? And if you're worried about that, then don't program the button to initiate anything that could cause problems. Or program a delay into the handler that responds to the button.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 8.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 46 34.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 44 32.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 23.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back