Gulf Coast

BamaCoastPyrat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not me man. Our house is at full capacity of salt water. Times change and just in case, I prefer to keep a tank that I can manage with the ups and downs that life throws at ya. I may do a bigger one in retirement.
I had been just about thinking I had my GHA problem at bay, then tonight I looked in my sump and tucked behind where I keep my testers stacked was a massive forest of GHA. So now I'm pretty frustrated with this stuff. I'm going to go lights out completely for a while and I'm going to do a 10-20% water change every day I'm home. I have to get rid of this stuff before I lose my mind. I really don't think I'm overfeeding because every time I feed anything, everything in the tank acts like it is starving. I never see any leftover food anywhere. So I'm not sure where all of the nutrients are coming from. Maybe I need to clean my filter socks more often and finally setup my protein skimmer.

OP
OP
Snoopdog

Snoopdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had been just about thinking I had my GHA problem at bay, then tonight I looked in my sump and tucked behind where I keep my testers stacked was a massive forest of GHA. So now I'm pretty frustrated with this stuff. I'm going to go lights out completely for a while and I'm going to do a 10-20% water change every day I'm home. I have to get rid of this stuff before I lose my mind. I really don't think I'm overfeeding because every time I feed anything, everything in the tank acts like it is starving. I never see any leftover food anywhere. So I'm not sure where all of the nutrients are coming from. Maybe I need to clean my filter socks more often and finally setup my protein skimmer.
Pro tip. Do not do the water change. We notice when we do a water change that our GHA actually increased, almost just a day after we saw increased growth. We are over the hump now and it is really decreasing, but not gone. How are your phosphates?

Do not get frustrated, this is just your tank adjusting over time, plus it is YOU adjusting. You have to learn the tank and read what the tank is telling you.

.Haliax.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your Nitrate/Phosphate levels?
I have struggled with nuisance algae, I'm not sure what kind. It is just a low covering on the rocks, I don't know if my fish & CUC are just keeping it mowed down real short or if it is naturally short. However, I started dosing iron several months ago and the algae is slowly abating and the rock underneath is becoming visible for coralline (and unfortunately bubble algae) to take hold. I say this anecdotally, because it is likely iron or some other element in the salt mix that made Snoop's algae increase after water changes. It's crazy how different one tank can be from another.

OP
OP
Snoopdog

Snoopdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just spent 9 hours straight dumping my tank and spending 2k with Bill on a new tank. Anyone need a sump or lights?

20230317_175904.jpg 20230317_200905.jpg

OP
OP
Snoopdog

Snoopdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone want a very, very thick glass OEM sump? It is very well made and thought out.

OP
OP
Snoopdog

Snoopdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually, I am probably just going to keep the red sea lights just in case I do not like the new Radion's. Or i should say, if my corals do not like the new Radion's

OP
OP
Snoopdog

Snoopdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone want any Kenya tree or Green Monti before I give it to one of the local vendors?

.Haliax.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone want any Kenya tree or Green Monti before I give it to one of the local vendors?
I wouldnt mind getting some kenya tree, but I wont have any free time to drive that way for like two weeks. So, maybe next time!

Actually, I am probably just going to keep the red sea lights just in case I do not like the new Radion's. Or i should say, if my corals do not like the new Radion's

Did you get XR15 G6's?

OP
OP
Snoopdog

Snoopdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By the way guys, I will be getting rid of some gear so if anyone is interested in any of it, I will sell it cheaper here than in the sales forum.

Red Sea RSK 300 skimmer, paid $300, sell for $200

Kessel H80 tuna flora light with gooseneck arm, paid about 180 with arm, sell for $100

CPR aquatics refugium with additional bubbletrap, (Gotta check size for price)

Tunze DOC 9004 DC Protein Skimmer, paid $234, sell for $150 (very much like new)

BRS Universal CO2 scrubber, quantity two, $15 each

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 63 34.2%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 26.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 59 32.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back