Gyre Maxspect 150 cord

George209

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was cleaning my pump the other day and I noticed this...is it still safe to use? Thanks

08CD39F8-E3A2-4E81-A93E-C8CA477B2760.jpeg

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will be interesting to see the responses since I tossed one a while ago for the same reason. Like @Peace River and @Hemmdog indictated, I wasn't comfortable using it. Hopefully there is a remedy out there I wasn't aware of.

CoralVue_Marketing

One minute of patience, ten years of peace.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was cleaning my pump the other day and I noticed this...is it still safe to use? Thanks

I'm no expert—I leave that to our support staff—but the cord from my old laptop's power supply looked similar. But hey, it continued to work just fine for months. Until one day, sparks crackled out of it and scared the crap out of me. It was no longer under warranty but I had no trouble finding a replacement online.

So my advice to you, especially if it's still under warranty, is to email our support team at [email protected]. Please include this picture, any details, proof of purchase, and all your contact/shipping information. That way, they would be armed with everything they need to resolve this matter to your satisfaction. Sorry for the trouble but I promise we'll take good care of you.

[email protected]

CoralVue_Marketing

One minute of patience, ten years of peace.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My apology! The thread just updated and now I see additional responses. I also see that you have had the pump for years already so warranty coverage has long since expired. Yet, I would still recommend contacting our support team to see what they say. You are welcome to mention this thread so they can see this wasn't a single isolated incident.

CoralVue always relays your feedback to the manufacturer so that they can fix the issues you identify. That is the primary reason that we always encourage customers to go through the support portal (emailing [email protected] does the same thing) so that way we can quickly identify trends and work with our vendor partners to fix them ASAP.

Please keep me posted: [email protected]

PerplexyHexy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 130 is exactly like that... its been fine... but im not the guy you wanna take advice from... lol... just sayin’

OP
OP
George209

George209

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Th
I'm no expert—I leave that to our support staff—but the cord from my old laptop's power supply looked similar. But hey, it continued to work just fine for months. Until one day, sparks crackled out of it and scared the crap out of me. It was no longer under warranty but I had no trouble finding a replacement online.

So my advice to you, especially if it's still under warranty, is to email our support team at [email protected]. Please include this picture, any details, proof of purchase, and all your contact/shipping information. That way, they would be armed with everything they need to resolve this matter to your satisfaction. Sorry for the trouble but I promise we'll take good care of you.

[email protected]
Thanks Jeff! I contacted them but unfortunately it is out of warranty.

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have the xf250s. From my experience, as long as the insulation on the wires themselves that are visible and no breaks or open areas where u can see metal strands, it would be protected.

However, something simple to fix on ur own would be some reef safe silicone. The wires seem to have pulled out from their grommet. Try to push the wires back in, and put a nice bead of sealant around to keep water from entering. If u can afford to, pull the gyre out to dry completely and let the silicone cure for at least 36 hrs before u put it back in.

That's what I would do anywho.

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
U could also check for stray voltage by dipping it in a bucket and testing the water there in a controlled environment before you bother attempting a fix at all.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 150 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.4%
Back