Gyre programming question.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking at controlling opposing gyres using the Profilux. Ideally, I would like to have one at 10% and the other at 80%. The one at 10% would ramp up over 30 minutes to 80%. The one originally at 80% would ramp down to 10% over 30 minutes and then stay at 10% for 20 minutes.

Is there any way to program this in the Profilux, or is there some other way to get a similar effect?

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm.. not seeing any way to do what I would like using the pump settings.
I think I might be able to do it using the light settings. Not sure how many different inflection points you can put in the illumination channels but it might work. I'll need to play around with that when I get home tonight.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did some homework and I want to make sure I am correct in this line of thinking. I can go to an Illumination channel, say #20. I can then program it by adding break points. Once I get all my break points added in I can assign it to L1. I can set it from 1V to 10V and connect that port to the gyre controller using a break out box. Am I good so far?
If so, I did a test and programmed in 24 points. Anyone know just how many points I can program into an illumination channel? This looks like it could work incredibly well if my thinking is correct.

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Brew12 - I been playing with this with my Tunze Pumps :) with illumination channels and can tell you can have 24 points. So you could only get 1/2 a day :(

I created one channel that ramps up every hour starting from 10% to 80%. And switches to night mode from 8:00pm to 5:00am. (18 Set points, this allows for 6 more +2 if you do not want any nite mode. Which would give you a total of another 6 hours)

tunze1.png

I went down to 45 Minute intervals was able to go to 10:00pm, with a night at 25% from midnight to 5:00am. (this used all 24 channels)

tunze2.png

You would just create the other in the opposite direction.

Doing this you will loose feed mode options on your pumps, unless we can get them to allow us to do advance logic on the 1-10v ports then the sky would be the limit.

But a few cool things I did play with:
You do not loose thunderstorms it works I tried it on the my tunze
You pick up clouds so the pumps can randomly slow down
You can even use the season table on the pumps.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Brew12 - I been playing with this with my Tunze Pumps :) with illumination channels and can tell you can have 24 points. So you could only get 1/2 a day :(

I created one channel that ramps up every hour starting from 10% to 80%. And switches to night mode from 8:00pm to 5:00am. (18 Set points, this allows for 6 more +2 if you do not want any nite mode. Which would give you a total of another 6 hours)

tunze1.png

I went down to 45 Minute intervals was able to go to 10:00pm, with a night at 25% from midnight to 5:00am. (this used all 24 channels)

tunze2.png

You would just create the other in the opposite direction.

Doing this you will loose feed mode options on your pumps, unless we can get them to allow us to do advance logic on the 1-10v ports then the sky would be the limit.

But a few cool things I did play with:
You do not loose thunderstorms it works I tried it on the my tunze
You pick up clouds so the pumps can randomly slow down
You can even use the season table on the pumps.
Thanks @Ditto this information is fantastic! I don't care about a feed mode since I think my fish feed better when they hunt down their food. I'll have to think through how I want to set it up based on the 24 point limitation. Go figure I stopped my testing right at the limit.

Would be really nice if we could change which lighting channel was assigned to each output based on time. That way we could cycle through 4 different lighting channels per pump and get 96 points!

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Brew12 Glad to help, was a good experiment to try on my Tunze pumps :)

@Vinny@GHLUSA and @Marco@GHLUSA anything that we may have missed? Does the 80% on the illumination channel work the same as say 80% on the Stream groups when it comes to voltage to the 1-10v port?

Support@GHLUSA

Team GHL
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Brew12 Glad to help, was a good experiment to try on my Tunze pumps :)

@Vinny@GHLUSA and @Marco@GHLUSA anything that we may have missed? Does the 80% on the illumination channel work the same as say 80% on the Stream groups when it comes to voltage to the 1-10v port?
0-10v = 0-10v .. so yes, would work the same, however make sure your voltage settings are correct under the respective 0-10v channels. You can have a minimum and maximum there, which will skew the %'s.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a Maspect or icecap gyre? If you do work out how to do this please post it on here...
I have the Maxspect XF250's. Already use two on their standard controller, have 2 more on order. I was only able to order two of the Icecap controllers and will order two more when they come back in stock. The power supplies have already been delivered. I hope to have everything and be able to start doing some testing this coming weekend.

This is what my first go at the programming looks like. I'd rather have it alternating many more times, but I am limited to the 24 break points.
upload_2018-11-27_15-46-34.png

2 will run on this pattern, the other 2 will be offset by 1.5 hours with some slight modifications. Hopefully it will work as expected.

Mortie31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Maxspect XF250's. Already use two on their standard controller, have 2 more on order. I was only able to order two of the Icecap controllers and will order two more when they come back in stock. The power supplies have already been delivered. I hope to have everything and be able to start doing some testing this coming weekend.

This is what my first go at the programming looks like. I'd rather have it alternating many more times, but I am limited to the 24 break points.
upload_2018-11-27_15-46-34.png

2 will run on this pattern, the other 2 will be offset by 1.5 hours with some slight modifications. Hopefully it will work as expected.
Cool, I have 2 250s and the new controller, how are you connecting them to your P4? I can’t see a 10v connector port on my controller

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool, I have 2 250s and the new controller, how are you connecting them to your P4? I can’t see a 10v connector port on my controller
I'm using a break out box to make the connection.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Tristren

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I’ll have to have a look into the breakout box, I cannot picture how it will work with the new maxpect controller
It won't work with the Maxspect controller unfortunately. That's why @Brew12 ordered the Icecap controllers.

You need one Icecap controller for each Gyre. It's kind of irritating because all it is doing is translating the 1-10v signal from the ProfiLux breakout box to whatever signal the Gyre recognizes.

But the same is true if you want to use them with an Apex. So it's not a GHL thing it's a Maxspect thing.

It would be nice if they were directly controllable. Seems a waste to by a controller just as an interface.

Cheers, Tony

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It won't work with the Maxspect controller unfortunately. That's why @Brew12 ordered the Icecap controllers.

You need one Icecap controller for each Gyre. It's kind of irritating because all it is doing is translating the 1-10v signal from the ProfiLux breakout box to whatever signal the Gyre recognizes.

But the same is true if you want to use them with an Apex. So it's not a GHL thing it's a Maxspect thing.

It would be nice if they were directly controllable. Seems a waste to by a controller just as an interface.

Cheers, Tony
That's a fact. But, at least you can buy the pump and controllers separately. I'll have purchased the 4 pumps but only 1 of the original controllers. The silly thing is that you can only buy the power supply you need directly from Coralvue.

Tristren

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a fact. But, at least you can buy the pump and controllers separately. I'll have purchased the 4 pumps but only 1 of the original controllers. The silly thing is that you can only buy the power supply you need directly from Coralvue.
Yes, that's true. If I was getting them now I would probably get the maxspect gyres and Icecap controllers.

Having said that, the maxspect controller is really very good. The automatic programs are quite interesting. There is more controlabilty with it than there is (currently) through the ProfiLux. Hopefully that will change.

Cheers, Tony

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having said that, the maxspect controller is really very good. The automatic programs are quite interesting. There is more controlabilty with it than there is (currently) through the ProfiLux. Hopefully that will change.
I agree, the Maxspect controller is very good. But it is only good for a maximum of 2 pumps. If I could sync 2 controllers together with each controlling 2 pumps I would have gone that route.
2 pumps aren't providing quite enough flow so I'm putting two of them end to end on each side of my tank.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 42.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 24 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 39 33.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back