Gyre programming question.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Tristren

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, the Maxspect controller is very good. But it is only good for a maximum of 2 pumps. If I could sync 2 controllers together with each controlling 2 pumps I would have gone that route.
2 pumps aren't providing quite enough flow so I'm putting two of them end to end on each side of my tank.
That's an interesting point. Using the ProfiLux would also let you sync different kinds of pumps as well.

I have an issue with my tank because it has a corner overflow. So the Gyre doesn't fit across that end. I'm trying different things in terms of placement but may end up having to add one or more "regular", round, powerheads as well.

I still wish they could be directly controlled though...

Cheers, Tony

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's an interesting point. Using the ProfiLux would also let you sync different kinds of pumps as well.

I have an issue with my tank because it has a corner overflow. So the Gyre doesn't fit across that end. I'm trying different things in terms of placement but may end up having to add one or more "regular", round, powerheads as well.

I still wish they could be directly controlled though...

Cheers, Tony
Yup, and the Profilux has some great programs for traditional round powerheads, but the flow options won't let you establish alternating gyres.

Fortunately, I have 30" open on each side of my system, so putting 2 pairs of gyres won't be an issue. I like the velocity I get down the middle with one, but I feel I could benefit from more mass of movement. Hoping this will do it.

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But would you not just create another illumination channel and assign that to the other pump with illumination channel opposite of the first one your created?

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But would you not just create another illumination channel and assign that to the other pump with illumination channel opposite of the first one your created?
That is pretty much the plan, in fact the programming is done. The only issue is that I only have 24 programmable points I can use and I would have loved to have 4 times that many.

BCSreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Tristren

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw that thread when I was doing research. If I could set up sine waves with a period of 30+ minutes I probably would have gone that route. My end goal is to have true gyres established for minutes at a time with turbulent variations between them.
I suppose another way of sort of getting at that pattern (given the limit of 24 points) would be to have the gyres running their full cycles, and then having another pump come in with the random disruptions. You could presumably achieve that with a relatively small and simple pump that was also controlled by the P4.

Cheers, Tony

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suppose another way of sort of getting at that pattern (given the limit of 24 points) would be to have the gyres running their full cycles, and then having another pump come in with the random disruptions. You could presumably achieve that with a relatively small and simple pump that was also controlled by the P4.

Cheers, Tony
I'm in a hybrid form like that right now actually. I have the 2 on one side controlled by my Profilux in the pattern I laid out above. I have the two on the other side in a random flow mode using the regular controller. The results are a lot of turbulent flow which my SPS absolutely love. My LPS aren't big fans but I think I have them sheltered well enough now.
I'm pretty happy with results for the most part. The only downsides right now that I can see is that I only get a true gyre flow in one direction and I can't turn them all off in maintenance mode. Adding the 2nd pump side by side has been an amazing improvement.

Tristren

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Tristren just curious if you could use it vertically where your overflow is?
Yes, could do. But the issue is the direction of the flow. The Gyre that is properly placed, horizontally near the top at the far end, pushes the water across the top of the tank, then down and back along the bottom. So it flows from left to right across the bottom.

I want to get the counter flow going from right to left over the corals lower down. But if I put the other pump vertically on the overflow end the current along the front is that same left to right. It loops around the back, so the flow is right to left back there. But the corals are in the front :).

I had it on the back wall set a 90°. So pushing left to right on the back, then looping around the front. That was ok, but because of my rock work is wasn't great by the time it came back around to the front left corner.

I'm going to try it vertically on the far end. So under the horizontal one pushing straight across the front.

The other thing I was thinking was putting it horizontally under the other one but aiming it down at around 45°. That would get the counter flow down the far end.

We'll see which one seems better!

Cheers, Tony

BCSreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw that thread when I was doing research. If I could set up sine waves with a period of 30+ minutes I probably would have gone that route. My end goal is to have true gyres established for minutes at a time with turbulent variations between them.

I didn't realize we were limited to 24 time points on the P4. Thanks! Regardless, I may look into programming my Gyres similar to yours. I too would like a longer cycle time.

Ignitros

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, this is what I did for 1 pair. Still debating on what to do with the 2nd pair.

You could always just add the ICV6 controller to pair up more pumps.
https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/syna-g-icv6-connect-controller-maxspect.html

I was hoping for something more controllable. I would likely have gone this route but there is no way to link 2 of the ICV6 controllers together and I run 4 gyres.

Tristren

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, could do. But the issue is the direction of the flow. The Gyre that is properly placed, horizontally near the top at the far end, pushes the water across the top of the tank, then down and back along the bottom. So it flows from left to right across the bottom.

I want to get the counter flow going from right to left over the corals lower down. But if I put the other pump vertically on the overflow end the current along the front is that same left to right. It loops around the back, so the flow is right to left back there. But the corals are in the front :).

I had it on the back wall set a 90°. So pushing left to right on the back, then looping around the front. That was ok, but because of my rock work is wasn't great by the time it came back around to the front left corner.

I'm going to try it vertically on the far end. So under the horizontal one pushing straight across the front.

The other thing I was thinking was putting it horizontally under the other one but aiming it down at around 45°. That would get the counter flow down the far end.

We'll see which one seems better!

Cheers, Tony
Just to follow up on this to say that I have been running my second gyre vertically in the front corner under the horizontal one and its working well.

I'm still just using the Gyre controller though, and would like to integrate it into my GHL setup. For me that would mean two icecap interfaces, a breakout box, and an expansion box (just because of my setup with the DT and the rest on different floors).

So I'll wait on that one a bit.

I might also add another, smaller, pump in the meantime.

Cheers, Tony

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 130 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back