Gyre pumps, reliable or problematic.

Ecotech Marine

Uncle99

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I have two Jebao gyres as part of my flow makers.
I clean once each 6 months and they have run silent for more than 4 years.

Love them, it’s like two power heads in one, and you can get them close to the top.

Aquarium Specialty - dry goods & marine livestock

minus9

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
So is wave engine necessary to tie into Apex for feed/maintenance mode? Is its purpose just to sync different powerheads? I am considering the ice cap gyres as main programmable flow and cheaper powerhead to target dead spots.
You can use the app to start feed mode, but I have mine connected to my apex and the integration works well. I have feed modes (two different times) maintenance mode and water change mode. I also have a detritus mode that I can activate via my breakout box.

headdr

View Badges
Reaction score
So for $300 you can sync your powerheads. With the wave engine you do not need the controller for the ice pack gyre so that will save you $100. Is there any thing else that you don't need with the wave engine that might save you some money? Sounds like it has a ups backup option also? Trying to justify buying?

minus9

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
So for $300 you can sync your powerheads. With the wave engine you do not need the controller for the ice pack gyre so that will save you $100. Is there any thing else that you don't need with the wave engine that might save you some money? Sounds like it has a ups backup option also? Trying to justify buying?
Yeah, you lose the power bricks for gyres (ice cap, Maxspect) just need the direct drive cables and you're set. I believe you can add a sense module and get some control as well.

AS

headdr

View Badges
Reaction score
$300 WE saves you $100 on a icecap controller or 150 savings on a maxspect. So for $150 to 200 additional cost there doesn't seem to be any added capabilities that would justify this additional cost.

minus9

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
$300 WE saves you $100 on a icecap controller or 150 savings on a maxspect. So for $150 to 200 additional cost there doesn't seem to be any added capabilities that would justify this additional cost.
Yeah, for just two pumps it doesn't make sense, but if you're controlling 4 pumps and maybe a return pump, then it may be worth it? I run vortechs and gyres, so having them under one controller and playing nice with each other, really appealed to me. It's definitely a luxury item, but if you have a large system with more than two gyres (or other pumps) it may be worth the $$? It's all personal preference. I run an apex and the WE, but it's nice knowing that I can expand the WE with some control add-ons, specifically, leak detection (rope detectors) in the future.

Alchameth

View Badges
Reaction score
I'm running a pair of Icecaps on my Peninsula tank a 1K on the side with the return and a 2K at the far end. Been running the Icecaps in my tanks for going on 3 years without a problem. Only issue is their android app, when it upgrades you have to sign back in and I can never remember what I set the password to.

1620673134890.png

Fritz
OP
N

NeilC

View Badges
Reaction score
I went a different direction to start. I bought an apex el and a WAV. I am happy so far but considering some of the negative reviews I read on the WAV, I will wait to buy a second one to see how this one does. The single is enough to turn the tank into a washing machine and I was surprised how close to the surface I can put the WAV without sucking a vortex. It is very quite up to 90%. I have it in the corner with the magnet at a 45 degree angle with the pump angled up and to the opposite corner. It creates a gyre that direction with the return creating a gyre opposite direction when the WAV is between pulses.

headdr

View Badges
Reaction score
I bought 2 wav's. The first failed while under warranty. Got it replaced. The second one failed out of warranty and they replaced it. Then the first replacement failed just out of warranty. They sold me 2 for the price of one. So now I have 3. Still working for now. My head unit failed under warranty. They replaced it. My EB832 failed just under 3 years. They did give me a discount on a replacement. Only Apex hardware that hasn't failed on me is the DOS containers. They have not leaked yet...

HAVE YOU EVER BUILT A NEW HOUSE "AROUND" A NEW DREAM REEF TANK SET UP?

• Yes (tell us in the thread)

Votes: 45 14.3%
  • NO, but I would like to

Votes: 195 62.1%
  • NO, I would worry about the tank later

Votes: 64 20.4%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 10 3.2%
Buckeye