Gyre pumps, reliable or problematic.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two Jebao gyres as part of my flow makers.
I clean once each 6 months and they have run silent for more than 4 years.

Love them, it’s like two power heads in one, and you can get them close to the top.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So is wave engine necessary to tie into Apex for feed/maintenance mode? Is its purpose just to sync different powerheads? I am considering the ice cap gyres as main programmable flow and cheaper powerhead to target dead spots.
You can use the app to start feed mode, but I have mine connected to my apex and the integration works well. I have feed modes (two different times) maintenance mode and water change mode. I also have a detritus mode that I can activate via my breakout box.

headdr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So for $300 you can sync your powerheads. With the wave engine you do not need the controller for the ice pack gyre so that will save you $100. Is there any thing else that you don't need with the wave engine that might save you some money? Sounds like it has a ups backup option also? Trying to justify buying?

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So for $300 you can sync your powerheads. With the wave engine you do not need the controller for the ice pack gyre so that will save you $100. Is there any thing else that you don't need with the wave engine that might save you some money? Sounds like it has a ups backup option also? Trying to justify buying?
Yeah, you lose the power bricks for gyres (ice cap, Maxspect) just need the direct drive cables and you're set. I believe you can add a sense module and get some control as well.

headdr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
$300 WE saves you $100 on a icecap controller or 150 savings on a maxspect. So for $150 to 200 additional cost there doesn't seem to be any added capabilities that would justify this additional cost.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
$300 WE saves you $100 on a icecap controller or 150 savings on a maxspect. So for $150 to 200 additional cost there doesn't seem to be any added capabilities that would justify this additional cost.
Yeah, for just two pumps it doesn't make sense, but if you're controlling 4 pumps and maybe a return pump, then it may be worth it? I run vortechs and gyres, so having them under one controller and playing nice with each other, really appealed to me. It's definitely a luxury item, but if you have a large system with more than two gyres (or other pumps) it may be worth the $$? It's all personal preference. I run an apex and the WE, but it's nice knowing that I can expand the WE with some control add-ons, specifically, leak detection (rope detectors) in the future.

Alchameth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm running a pair of Icecaps on my Peninsula tank a 1K on the side with the return and a 2K at the far end. Been running the Icecaps in my tanks for going on 3 years without a problem. Only issue is their android app, when it upgrades you have to sign back in and I can never remember what I set the password to.

1620673134890.png

OP
OP
N

NeilC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went a different direction to start. I bought an apex el and a WAV. I am happy so far but considering some of the negative reviews I read on the WAV, I will wait to buy a second one to see how this one does. The single is enough to turn the tank into a washing machine and I was surprised how close to the surface I can put the WAV without sucking a vortex. It is very quite up to 90%. I have it in the corner with the magnet at a 45 degree angle with the pump angled up and to the opposite corner. It creates a gyre that direction with the return creating a gyre opposite direction when the WAV is between pulses.

headdr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought 2 wav's. The first failed while under warranty. Got it replaced. The second one failed out of warranty and they replaced it. Then the first replacement failed just out of warranty. They sold me 2 for the price of one. So now I have 3. Still working for now. My head unit failed under warranty. They replaced it. My EB832 failed just under 3 years. They did give me a discount on a replacement. Only Apex hardware that hasn't failed on me is the DOS containers. They have not leaked yet...

tikalize

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm still deciding if i want to put 350's in my 300 gallon but the maintenance of once a month for some people is just to much for me. The flow from these sounds awesome but i have been a Tunze guy for 20 years or so and you can go several months without cleaning. Not that I'm lazy its just i know they make pumps that requires cleaning less often and your hands aren't always in the tank. Just my personal opinion.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm still deciding if i want to put 350's in my 300 gallon but the maintenance of once a month for some people is just to much for me. The flow from these sounds awesome but i have been a Tunze guy for 20 years or so and you can go several months without cleaning. Not that I'm lazy its just i know they make pumps that requires cleaning less often and your hands aren't always in the tank. Just my personal opinion.
Just buy an extra set of cages and impellers. Takes me less than 5 minutes to swap everything out. Two sets are about the same price for a mp40 wetside. A/B cage set is $15 X 2, propellers are $30 X 2 and the deflectors are $12 X 2 (if you want them).

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am getting back into the hobby after a 5 year hiatus. I previously had a mixed 180 that I had 4 hydor evolution 1500s on each side, alternating on a wave maker switch. I didn't like all the clutter on the upper sides but it got the job done satisfactorily.

I am setting up a 5 foot 100 gallon rimless that will actually have 3 viewable sides. The tank will be in the dining room against a wall to the kitchen that has an opening about the size of the tank so I figured I would put it in front of the opening and view.it from the kitchen counter and the dining room. My 1st dilemma is circulation and putting as many powerheads as possible on the side of the tank that will be in the corner. My other dilemma is my fiancee likes sand in the tank which means I cant simply put put a line of powerheads at the bottom alternating with a line of powerheads at the top creating an alternating gyre across the length of the tank.

I have considered a pair of gyres mounted close to the water line on each side because, while it will definitely be visible, it won't block the view like a powerhead mounted 6 inches are so down the side. The ability to mount them close to the surface is the most appealing aspect of the gyre for me.

My concern is as I read reviews, it seems like the gyres have a lot of problems like stopping, noise, and breaking easily during the often needed cleaning. Are they too much of a hassle or are the latest version reliable and easy to maintain?
I have a jebao SCP-180 gyre going on two years strong. It moves ALLOT of water.

Pros - lower profile than normal powerhead, moves allot of water, good wave actions.

Cons - slows down when dirty, cleaning is not necessarily quick, changes in flow from being dirty can be significant, minor hum noise when running wave action at high speeds

With a 5ft tank I'd probably stay with two Nero 5's and add on from there if needed

Back