Gyres: Maxspect vs IceCap

dalax64

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New to this forum but have around 7 years in the saltwater adventure.

So I have a Maxspect XF250 gyre on our 240g cube and an IceCap on the 90g (not sure of the model but it is over 3 years old and appropriately sized for a 4' dt).

My experience with the IceCap has been 100% positive: easy to clean, quiet, has required no new parts and I find the controller display easy to read and intuitive(ish).

Maxspect? Not so much. I've replaced bushings more than once, the tiny controller display is hard to read and less intuitive and disassembly/reassembly for cleaning is always a pita to get both sides working again. Now the pump has developed a high pitched whine of indeterminate origin. And I flipping hate, hate, HATE the ridiculous mounting bracket for the controller.

My question is this: I want to upgrade flow in the 240 and am strongly considering a pair of IC 4k's based on the above points but also (and this is very important to me) because they can still be controlled by the Apex.

Since I'm dealing with an extremely small sample size of one each, does this experience with the 2 brands match other folks who have used both pumps? Or is my experience an outlier?

alain Bouchard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had an old maxspect 250 for a few month. was working well, but , as you said, PITA to clean. Now got 2 icecap 3K, with new dual controller. they are silent and move a lot of water. only clean them 3 month interval, and very quick. I did have to change the bushings on one of them once...cost 5$. the wifi controller have a 0-10v socket for external controller, like apex.

OP
OP
D

dalax64

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I love me some confirmation bias!
I had an old maxspect 250 for a few month. was working well, but , as you said, PITA to clean. Now got 2 icecap 3K, with new dual controller. they are silent and move a lot of water. only clean them 3 month interval, and very quick. I did have to change the bushings on one of them once...cost 5$. the wifi controller have a 0-10v socket for external controller, like apex.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 17 33.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 19.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 4 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 9.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 14 27.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.0%
Back