H Malu and Ocellaris

Shaun_in_Cali

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
G'day Nem experts.

I am looking at acquiring a Malu anemone, however the main reason would be to host my pair of Ocellaris clownfish. The reason I am interested in a Malu is I don't believe a carpet or Magnifica would be the right choice for my tank (due current Aquascape, and reluctance to take them onboard due size/predation (predation mostly for carpet, less concerned for this aspect with Mag). I could potentially get a BTA though I am concerned about wandering. A Mag would require a substantial rework of my 'scape; though I could certainly do this.

I have a 4x2x2, 120G, 11 months old, currently have about 25-30 mixed reef corals that are mostly SPS, with a sand bed varying from 1-4" depending on location/current/diamond goby. Lighting is provided by 3x Kessil A-360WE though I am currently looking to supplement with T5. I have 4x Powerheads providing what I'm confident is sufficient flow.

Please - feel free to poke holes in my plan.

Firstly - would the malu be likely to host the clowns. Perhaps not immediately, but over time? there seems to be ample evidence of Malu and Ocellaris hosting (youtube, R2R etc)

Secondly would the tank setup be suitable (sand, light, flow).

Regards,

Shaun

OP
OP
S

Shaun_in_Cali

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
g'day all..

So I have conducted a bunch more research over the past week and have gone with the Malu. I am just after some thoughts on initial placement - do you dig out the sand near where I think it will be suited, then place the foot on rock/glass and place some sand around it? (obviously it will be free to roam as it sees fit).

Most of my tank is about 2-3" deep. Will this be deep enough?

Is there a spot here where you think it would be best placed?

@OrionN @DeniseAndy @OnyxPerc
439DBF6C-5167-4B84-BF99-2EB8EBC60E9A.jpeg

OP
OP
S

Shaun_in_Cali

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
G'day @OrionN

Thanks for the prompt feedback. Middle at front was the first spot I was leaning towards. I'm looking forward to getting him into the tank.

Sorry for all the questions but I assume I should dig through the sand to the glass or glass/rock meeting for the first placement?

Thanks again.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of the time, mine attached to the galss. If you can look from the bottom, like I can, you can see his foot attach to the glass.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For placement, that sound great. I actually dig out a part of the sand just so the nem can ignore it completely and go where it wants. :)
Seriously, when I made hole and surrounded it by rocks (just little ones to keep it stable) then it stayed and was happy. I then removed the rocks as long as it was not attached. For both of mine, one rock stayed. :)
Good luck. My clarkiis went right to it and made it home. Then again, clarkiis can find any nem anywhere and get hosted. They love nems.
Saddlebacks also find nems immediately IME. I have 5 with my haddonis in a different tank.
Here is my baby (soon to be female) in the nem within 5 minutes of putting it in. She peeks out, just wait.

Attachments

• 20200305_202551[1].mp4
    29.9 MB
OP
OP
S

Shaun_in_Cali

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oops. just noticed the picture above is after treatment where it currently sits. The video was before treatment.

thanks @DeniseAndy. I scraped the sand away so there was a bare area of glass. It attached straight away and then walked itself about an inch to where there was a joint in the rock/glass. It seems happy and healthy, a couple of photos are in my build thread (above). Now to wait for the clowns to (hopefully) jump on in! It’s looking even better today, mouth fully closed and has stretched out more.

yours is a beautiful Nem.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 125 88.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back