Haddoni, Gigantea or something else?

cet98

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 19, 2009
Messages
263
Reaction score
119
Location
Home by the Sea
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the surface this looks to be a Haddoni until you see the purple verrucae on the underside.
It’s unlike anything I’ve come across so I thought I’d ask around.

Currently in cipro treatment

Thanks for any informative insight 👍🏼


 
Hmmmm... that's an interesting one. From the top down it looks 100% haddoni, but looking at the verrucae on the foot I'd say gigantea. I'm leaning towards a haddoni with colorful verrucae (which would be an oddity). I have seen extremely stressed out gigs with very short tentacles, but yours is a lot larger than I'm used to seeing.

How thick is the foot? If it's thick compared to the oral disk, then I lean towards haddoni.

Hopefully it makes it through QT so you can see how it behaves. If it digs into the sandbed, that's more indicative of haddoni.

Sorry, I know I'm not adding more than what you probably already know, but this one has definitely got me stumped.
 
not a mertensii. definitely looks haddoni from the top and while i dont think colored verrucae are entirely unusual for some haddoni, its not typical for the species.

i remember @OrionM had a thread once about a possible gigantae/haddoni hybrid he found. i think its certainly likely these hybrids are collected, or perhaps a new anemone species that no one has thought to describe yet.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 1 3.7%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 1 3.7%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 5 18.5%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 1 3.7%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 1 3.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new