!!!!!HAIL The FORGOTTEN ROBIN!!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I think often, when you have been looking at an acro for a long time you really take it for granted. Especially if its a colony grown out from a frag. I mean that's a commitment and if you have an acro colony that began as a nub then I applaud you. You have succeeded in one of the most challenging aspects of out hobby but I have to ask if you often find your attention drifting towards those tiny new frags rather then your tank mainstays. Your old friends at this point, whom of which you probably know every nook and branch of. These things have been with you the longest and probably weathered a few minor disasters only to come back stronger or unaffected all together. these guys are the real Kings of your reefs.

Will I admit I am extremely guilty of this often brushing off monster colonies without regard. Know I will say for me that period between fully acclimated frag maybe about a year in and tennis ball sized mini colony is by far my favorite to watch. It is during this time that my acros my fullest attention anyway.

But what does that say about our long time residents? They just become part of the background. Always there….

The Red Robin. Multigenerational long captive gem comes from a time when anything red was very highly regarded and this guy was in a class all his own for most of my early reefing days. My own colony has been with me a number of years now as well and like the others has fallen into the "next" as in what else you got category. I just felt that this guy not only needed a reshoot bad but just needed some long over due respect!

I mean the epitome of a classic Acro. The Red Robin!!! Please feel free to share your colony pics!

IMG_1375_zps299acc3c.jpg

IMG_1375-2_zps687786bd.jpg

IMG_1380_zpsa8fa45e0.jpg

IMG_1374_zpsaec94f67.jpg

reef80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the only coral that survive when my tank went awol...but I gave it away...I'll be hitting you up for sure with a list and this makes top...

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
This is the only coral that survive when my tank went awol...but I gave it away...I'll be hitting you up for sure with a list and this makes top...

yeah this guys one of those man. almost hard to kill! I have had frags that fell on the ground and were starting to dry out. You could actually see the salt forming on them and they promptly sported healthy PE and were growing agin with days:) hardy is an understatement

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice looking colony Adam may have to try and talk you out of a 'mini colony' to add to my Reef. I see this all to often on coveting all the 'Hot New' Frags ones get while ignoring what to me is the 'Real Beauty' of the system, a large mature colony of ???. I'm nearly at the opposite end of the spectrum typically ignoring or losing the lil frags within my mature colonies. My 'Beast' in my system is a 12" x 18" Rose Milli colony that I have to constantly frag to keep it within its given boundary. Even with a recent 'OOPS!' moment in water chemistry and having to cut probably 35-40" of STN branches out of it it still approx 12x18 just a little more kidney shaped now. Had to consolidate all my Seriatopora/Birdsnest colonies into a single mixed Basketball sized one instead of four. Pic below is from last May and is definitely my favorite view of it 'Top Down'.

Top Down mid center 5-6-14.jpg

Cheers, Todd

choff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
...I'm nearly at the opposite end of the spectrum typically ignoring or losing the lil frags within my mature colonies. My 'Beast' in my system is a 12" x 18" Rose Milli colony that I have to constantly frag to keep it within its given boundary.....

1st world problems. [emoji13]

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Nice looking colony Adam may have to try and talk you out of a 'mini colony' to add to my Reef. I see this all to often on coveting all the 'Hot New' Frags ones get while ignoring what to me is the 'Real Beauty' of the system, a large mature colony of ???. I'm nearly at the opposite end of the spectrum typically ignoring or losing the lil frags within my mature colonies. My 'Beast' in my system is a 12" x 18" Rose Milli colony that I have to constantly frag to keep it within its given boundary. Even with a recent 'OOPS!' moment in water chemistry and having to cut probably 35-40" of STN branches out of it it still approx 12x18 just a little more kidney shaped now. Had to consolidate all my Seriatopora/Birdsnest colonies into a single mixed Basketball sized one instead of four. Pic below is from last May and is definitely my favorite view of it 'Top Down'.

Top Down mid center 5-6-14.jpg

Cheers, Todd

Nice one man! Thats really what its all about right there! Thanks a lot for sharing. has it been in there the longest or just a faster grower or both maybe?

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice one man! Thats really what its all about right there! Thanks a lot for sharing. has it been in there the longest or just a faster grower or both maybe?

Thanks Adam, a little of both as at its current size puts on 200-300 inches of growth monthly. I've had it for around 4 years and was already a nice sized frag of 3"x 5" when given to me from a friends large colony. This one I have 'Paid It Forward' with many times and fairly prevalent in local Reefers tanks. Funny, during this break I was doing a little tank maintenance and accidentally knocked over the whole colony which is precariously balanced as it outweighs the LR its on breaking off a 4" x 6" chunk that will have to make its way to someones Reef ???

Different perspective in FTS from 7/01/14 and some of the other mature colonies ranging between 3-6 years old
FTS 7-01-14.jpg

Cheers, Todd

larcat

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh my lord your tank......

Thanks Adam, a little of both as at its current size puts on 200-300 inches of growth monthly. I've had it for around 4 years and was already a nice sized frag of 3"x 5" when given to me from a friends large colony. This one I have 'Paid It Forward' with many times and fairly prevalent in local Reefers tanks. Funny, during this break I was doing a little tank maintenance and accidentally knocked over the whole colony which is precariously balanced as it outweighs the LR its on breaking off a 4" x 6" chunk that will have to make its way to someones Reef ???

Different perspective in FTS from 7/01/14 and some of the other mature colonies ranging between 3-6 years old
FTS 7-01-14.jpg

Cheers, Todd

choff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

FTS 7-01-14.jpg

Cheers, Todd

Stunning

therman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Great topic!

I am guilty of fawning over the new frags myself, though this colony I do cherish. Probably my all time favorite coral. I know Adam has seen it before, but I took a few new photos this week so I thought I'd share the updates.

Almost 5 year old Icefire echinata that has weathered major tank issues that killed off most other acros, and a major system relocation:
icefire3Dec14-2.jpg

icefire3Dec14.jpg

I'm getting concerned that my bumbling idiot one-spot foxface is going to crash into it and knock half of it off one of these days :p

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Great topic!

I am guilty of fawning over the new frags myself, though this colony I do cherish. Probably my all time favorite coral. I know Adam has seen it before, but I took a few new photos this week so I thought I'd share the updates.

Almost 5 year old Icefire echinata that has weathered major tank issues that killed off most other acros, and a major system relocation:
icefire3Dec14-2.jpg

icefire3Dec14.jpg

I'm getting concerned that my bumbling idiot one-spot foxface is going to crash into it and knock half of it off one of these days :p

yeah man that is a beauty! one of the nicest captive acros i have ever seen I think! I may have one of those too if i had never fraged my original nub again and again. was probably about 4-5 years ago i got mine as well! spectacular.

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a GORGEOUS Ice Fire colony ^above^ would love to have another. Lost mine along with a couple nice sized A. tenuis colonies a few years back with some Alk issues.

OK, to keep this thread going here is a pic from 1/2013 of my
Montipora spongodes colony before I did some re-aquascaping. The colony was around 10" in diameter and Sarcophyton was around 16" in diameter which would occasionally get caught in current and topple the 10-12# rock it was on so needed re-homing. Unfortunately while trying to remove the Toadstool I dropped the LR and made 60+ frags of the M. spongodes in mere seconds...... a little 'potty talk' followed..... maybe a lot. The spires on the Spongodes colony were 3-4" tall and 2-3" wide fans. Need to make some room in new tank to let grow to its former glory again.
left side at twilight 1-17-13.jpg

And some close-ups of spires.
M. spongodes (2) 12-8-12.jpg
M. spongodes (3) 12-8-12.jpg
M. spongodes 12-8-12.jpg

OK Adam, TAG your it. You must have some more GEMS to show us.

Cheers, Todd

therman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Tim, is that Ice Fire the one you got from Dan? It looks great!
Yep, sure is. Thanks to all for the compliments :)

Todd, that is a great looking spongodes! I've always wanted a nice green one with purple tips and semi-regular growth like yours. If shipping wasn't so painful I'd trade you a frag...

And yes, Adam is overdue for another colony photo.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Yep, sure is. Thanks to all for the compliments :)

Todd, that is a great looking spongodes! I've always wanted a nice green one with purple tips and semi-regular growth like yours. If shipping wasn't so painful I'd trade you a frag...

And yes, Adam is overdue for another colony photo.

ha ha hey check my forum its loaded with them!

heres an old vid of one of my favorite reefs from 07 though:) some of these would be monsters by now if only........................my palmers is in there my original cali tort, secale, german blue, Efflo, Pink panther, battlestag, battle baby blue and many more! was such a cool tank!

My Old DAS 3D tank!

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 41 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 145 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.6%
Back