Hair algae and dino

Devan Patel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So rn im having a huge problem with hair algae and Dino it is everywhere. I ran hydrogen peroxide for a today and now was told just to take it all out and buy pods so i bought pods and now we’re waiting. Had to take out peroxide bc it was hurting my corals. Does anyone have any other ways in the mean time that I can fix this before pods come in

9F9E4F23-FA23-42D1-9FEB-5119649A8DD6.jpeg 149ABBF2-EA2B-4AAA-A98F-670727E95C50.jpeg 0939F7B4-5035-4FA1-B23D-7067FA6CC0B9.jpeg

cpoynter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you identify what kind of dinoflagellates they are?
It will probably take a while to “fix”, but if it were me, I’d start by manually removing as much hair algae as possible. Once that is done, I’d get my nitrates to around 10, and my phosphates to around .1. It’s best to remove all the hair algae you can because the N & P will just fuel its growth. If the dinoflagellates are the type that dissipate into the water column at night, I would look into a UV sterilizer.
Next, find the thread “dinoflagellates, a disruptive treatment” and follow the protocol for carbon dosing.
Also, people have had lunch raising their tank temp to 83°, but your results may vary.

OP
OP
D

Devan Patel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you identify what kind of dinoflagellates they are?
It will probably take a while to “fix”, but if it were me, I’d start by manually removing as much hair algae as possible. Once that is done, I’d get my nitrates to around 10, and my phosphates to around .1. It’s best to remove all the hair algae you can because the N & P will just fuel its growth. If the dinoflagellates are the type that dissipate into the water column at night, I would look into a UV sterilizer.
Next, find the thread “dinoflagellates, a disruptive treatment” and follow the protocol for carbon dosing.
Also, people have had lunch raising their tank temp to 83°, but your results may vary.
How would you recommend I lower nitrates? Also what’s the protocol for carbon dosing?

cpoynter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

willsaf.ws

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So those 2 I had to fight
Hair algae started taking over so I lowered my nitrate/phosphate when they bottomed I got Dino
DINO will kill your corals hair algae is nasty but it’s won’t wipe you tank
For Dino
I stopped all water changes
Dosed nitrates very small amount
Vented skimmer with outside tube ⬆️O2⬆️PH
I used a certain bacteria I won’t recommend it
Although it might have helped but I suspect it introduced pryopsis ..
I’ll suggest dr Tim’s didn’t use it but I read it’s good also bio digest has some recommended bacteria…
Syphon into a sock as much as you can and throw that mf
Don’t add any live stock and you can shorten your light cycle
Add fuge/pods
On the 3rd week Dino was gone
Also started feeding heavy

hair algae you cleaning crew should take care of it however like I said pryopsis nothing will touch it I’ve had enough with it .. tangs and cleaning crew and scrubbing is keeping it from taking over but it’s still gaining ground so I ordered flucanazol flux Rx I’ll start the treatment next week ..
So identify what you have
If it’s Dino fix it first ⬆️Nutrients introduce bacteria pods .. and syphon no water changes
It’ll go away by 3rd week

pryopsis or gha
Gha predators fish/pods/crabs manual removal
Pryopsis I haven’t used flux but it’s been 6 months of me trying to get out so I’m taking that route

OP
OP
D

Devan Patel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could do a water change, or multiple water changes if necessary. Where are your nitrates & phosphates now?
Start with 1ml per 100 liters.
I highly recommend reading the article I mentioned:
https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/dinoflagelates-a-disruptive-treatment.873/
It mentions the recommended brands for carbon dosing.
I do not have a phosphate tester but I have nitrates. I just mixed up the sand and moved things aswell as tore algae off so I’ll have to test once it settles down.

OP
OP
D

Devan Patel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hair algae started taking over so I lowered my nitrate/phosphate when they bottomed I got Dino
For Dino
I’ll suggest dr Tim’s didn’t use it but I read it’s good also bio digest has some recommended bacteria…
Add fuge/pods

hair algae you cleaning crew should take care of it however like I said pryopsis nothing will touch it I’ve had enough with it .. tangs and cleaning crew and scrubbing is keeping it from taking over but it’s still gaining ground so I ordered flucanazol flux Rx I’ll start the treatment next week ..
If it’s Dino fix it first ⬆️Nutrients introduce bacteria pods .. and syphon no water changes

pryopsis or gha
Pryopsis I haven’t used flux but it’s been 6 months of me trying to get out so I’m taking that route
For Dino
Add fuge/pods

pryopsis or gha
I fixed Dino’s pretty much, working on hair algae it’s just everything but dino is suffocating and killing my coral. I ordered pods to introduce into the tank aswell waiting for those to come in. Thinking about doing peroxide until they come in now sure i put it in for one day like last week and it seemed like my Corals were the ones getting affected. Do u think I should try DinoX or another chemical for Dino and hair algae. I’m also going to purchase bacteria

Last edited:

willsaf.ws

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t
Just syphon it to sock in your sump and rewash the sock or throw it
Dinox peroxide and other methods really hurt you corals
Don’t do too much out once
If you raise nitrates your bacteria will have a better chance you can brush hair algae and syphon the same as dynos
Introduce bacteria phytoplankton pods and feed
Dial back light and up ph..
it’s not a quick fix but it won’t kill your live stock
Dino was gone in my tank but it takes 3-4 weeks
Hair algae and Pryopsis is sure ugly but weekly maintenance will clear it +herbivores it doesn’t help that you can’t water change with Dino that’s why I I think you need to eliminate that the natural way once and for all

willsaf.ws

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t
If you raise nitrates your bacteria will have a better chance you can brush hair algae and syphon the same as dynos
Hair algae and Pryopsis is sure ugly but weekly maintenance will clear it +herbivores it doesn’t help that you can’t water change with Dino that’s why I I think you need to eliminate that the natural way once and for all
I also didn’t use flucanazole because I want to give it a month and see if better husbandry can eliminate it .. although pryopsis is not easy to get rid of .. but I still hate putting any chemicals in a tank that has this many corals

OP
OP
D

Devan Patel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t
hey so i got rid of the hair algae by using reef flux, nitrates are at 20 PPM as of last night. phosphate is at 0.50 PPM. but im having a hard time with the dinos they just take over everything. killing my corals. high range PH was at like an 8.2. i put 2 jars of eco pods maybe two weeks ago in my 50 gallon but i am yet to see them on my glass yet, so i would just assume they are all eating. I am dosing ocean magik 15 ML per day. the lighting has been reduced alot but now i'm thinking of doing a "restart" of the tank

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back