Hair algae out of control, have new ICP results

soreefed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey thanks. Yeah I did recently get a package from reefcleaners and 5 turbos locally, but hasn't made a dent. Was thinking of getting more turbos or trochus. Any recommendations on specific types?

I do have a Tomini Tang but he doesn't ever seem to eat it.
I only have a nano tank but trochus snails devour algae it’s kinda crazy. They never stop.

Tidal Gardens

Coral Farm
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey thanks. Yeah I did recently get a package from reefcleaners and 5 turbos locally, but hasn't made a dent. Was thinking of getting more turbos or trochus. Any recommendations on specific types?

I do have a Tomini Tang but he doesn't ever seem to eat it.
I’m not kidding. Put like 50 snails in there and keep pulling it out as much as you possibly can. Tomoni are not the best algae grazers in my opinion. Astraea snails are fine and will get the job done.

OP
OP
C

Cantari22

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not kidding. Put like 50 snails in there and keep pulling it out as much as you possibly can. Tomoni are not the best algae grazers in my opinion. Astraea snails are fine and will get the job done.
Thanks. Perhaps I'll put an order in this weekend, hopefully it helps. The Tomini is still somewhat small but yah noticing that too.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
0134900C-8BC8-44E4-BBD5-E8064BDFB98C.jpeg

Next to my blenny for scale.
One thing to consider is that this growth may now be harboring cyanobacteria. The alga filaments look matted rather than like free flowing hair. If cyanobacteria is cohabitating with what looks to be hair algae, you may find nothing eats this stuff. This could be a tough infection to cure.

OP
OP
C

Cantari22

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to follow up, I did 2 days of blacking out the tank and it helped significantly. Also ordered a UV sterilizer and will try that. I can follow back up after I run that for a while.

Appreciate all the responses.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Just to follow up, I did 2 days of blacking out the tank and it helped significantly. Also ordered a UV sterilizer and will try that. I can follow back up after I run that for a while.

Light is one of the major sourves of energy for algae and makes sense weith blackout which 3-5 days helps. If tank is at or near a window, this will have to be addressed as UV is very strong and will penetrate blinds/shades/curtains.
Pull as much strands as you can by hand and then add snails and cleaners as below:

10 - astrea
6- turbo grazer
6- nassarius

1-2 pencil urchins

12 Caribbean blue leg hermits

Optional- Dolabella sea hare

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If the algae is mainly situated in cracks, holes, blow the trapped detritus out with a turkey blaster, regularly. The algae acts as a detritus trap. Sometimes you gotta get your elbows wet, and pull it out either with your hands or some beefy aquarium tweezers.

Super Fly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

update?

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Possibly been mentioned…but at this point in the hobby, we have learned better about algae than old school ideas that keep getting repeated. If you have an abundance of nuisance algae, you don’t have a nutrient problem or a lighting problem. You’ve got a herbivore problem. The urchin is a good idea. 10-20 trochus snails, a few large turbo snails. A bunch of ceriths and dwarf ceriths. Algae will be gone. Tomini tangs are lazy algae eaters. Blennies will mostly eat film algae and biofilm. Rather than tough strands of macro algae

Mark Novack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is hair, then Mespillia Globulus Tuxedo urchins are excellent, Moneta money snails, and a mix of turbo, trocus and other general rock grazers. The money snails are small but voracious. The snails that dont eat the hair directly will deny the film algaes to the snails that will take the hair as an alternative. The Tuxedo urchin and Money snails will eat it well. UV. Made a huge difference for me for all nuisances including, algae, diatoms, cyanobacteria and ick. Its not one or the other but all together.

OP
OP
C

Cantari22

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all, still battling it. I feel like it gets better and maybe even switches between dinos and GHA. It is slowly getting better but its very slow process. I tried a few blackouts and that just was a temporary fix. Ran a UV filter for a month with no real effect.

I'll try the urchins and see if they help with it. All the fish are great and the corals seem ok, as I try to pick it out when I do my biweekly water changes. I feel like I possibly had Dinos and a bunch of my snails died, but it doesn't look the same now so possibly I can get a good CUC now. Most of my trochus and turbos disappeared whereas the nassarius seemed to be fine through it.

Appreciate the replies.

Last edited:

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 30 37.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 10 12.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 25 30.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 14 17.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back