Hair Algae problem, I've tried everything!

Seansea

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
U need ats. Only way to beat it. Expensive but such is hobby. If you want long term success it is essential.

ScubaSkeets

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Algae turf scrubber has kept my display 98% algae free for about 10 years. I had hair algae that was not responsive to conventional advice. Turf scrubber took care of it. it returned twice over a decade, when my scrubbers air pump died, replacing the 30$ air pump eliminated the algae both times.

My tank page has current pics of my tank and how my system is setup

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all.
I've been in the hobby for about 18 years. I am currently having a problem with hair algae. At the very beginning of the hobby I had a nano-reef and the first time I encountered hair algae. Then purchasing the sea urchin toxido saved me.
Then for a long time I had a reef on the ULNS system and I never encountered hair algae.
A year ago I moved to another city and in a new tank I decided to move away from ULNS. I currently have a 110 gallon tank with a macroalgae reactor and skimmer. Nitrate level 2-5, phosphate 0.02-0.03. Of the fish, 2 surgeonfish (saifin and purple tang) and rabbitfish. One small sea urchin and 12 turbo snails.
What do you recommend in my case?
It’s usually just herbivore density, not really related to nutrient levels;

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 22.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 33.9%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 31.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back