Hair Algae problem, I've tried everything!

U need ats. Only way to beat it. Expensive but such is hobby. If you want long term success it is essential.
 
Algae turf scrubber has kept my display 98% algae free for about 10 years. I had hair algae that was not responsive to conventional advice. Turf scrubber took care of it. it returned twice over a decade, when my scrubbers air pump died, replacing the 30$ air pump eliminated the algae both times.

My tank page has current pics of my tank and how my system is setup
 
Hi all.
I've been in the hobby for about 18 years. I am currently having a problem with hair algae. At the very beginning of the hobby I had a nano-reef and the first time I encountered hair algae. Then purchasing the sea urchin toxido saved me.
Then for a long time I had a reef on the ULNS system and I never encountered hair algae.
A year ago I moved to another city and in a new tank I decided to move away from ULNS. I currently have a 110 gallon tank with a macroalgae reactor and skimmer. Nitrate level 2-5, phosphate 0.02-0.03. Of the fish, 2 surgeonfish (saifin and purple tang) and rabbitfish. One small sea urchin and 12 turbo snails.
What do you recommend in my case?
It’s usually just herbivore density, not really related to nutrient levels;

https://www.researchgate.net/public...influence_grazing_patterns_visible_from_space
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 9 5.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 13 7.7%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 16.0%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 57 33.7%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 12 7.1%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 11 6.5%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 26 15.4%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 12 7.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new