Hair algae

ibobvt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning all. My wife and I have had our 46 gallon bow reef tank up since August of last year, and so far so good. Fish and corals are doing great. We had some red slime algae, but treated it with Chemical-clean, and its totally gone now. The issue we are still having is some hair algae, it's not in mats, but in tufts growing in several places in the tank, kinda like moss balls. I vacuum some of it out during routine maintenance, but can never seem to gain on it. We have some turbo snails. Any recommendations.

Budman's Corals

Living the Salt life
View Badges
Reaction score
Heart of Dixie--------------------------Mtgy,Ala
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning all. My wife and I have had our 46 gallon bow reef tank up since August of last year, and so far so good. Fish and corals are doing great. We had some red slime algae, but treated it with Chemical-clean, and its totally gone now. The issue we are still having is some hair algae, it's not in mats, but in tufts growing in several places in the tank, kinda like moss balls. I vacuum some of it out during routine maintenance, but can never seem to gain on it. We have some turbo snails. Any recommendations.

Lawnmower Blenny maybe? less feeding,lower light exposure till gone..

good luck

mike007

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also you might try an urchin they like to eat algae. And i agree with budman less feeding lower nitrates and phos.

dorky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I agree with them but be careful with which urchins. Some of them are reef safe and some are not. I can't think of any nano algae eating fish that is suitable for ur size tank.

lofty78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I agree with them but be careful with which urchins. Some of them are reef safe and some are not. I can't think of any nano algae eating fish that is suitable for ur size tank.

Yeah, I was going to say my sailfin and kole tangs do a great job of keeping it in check, but 46 is too small. I actually like having some of this in my tank as it is a natural look, but unchecked it could get out of hand... Emerald crab may be an option, but they hand get a little handy with smaller fish when they get bigger.

dorky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I was going to say my sailfin and kole tangs do a great job of keeping it in check, but 46 is too small. I actually like having some of this in my tank as it is a natural look, but unchecked it could get out of hand... Emerald crab may be an option, but they hand get a little handy with smaller fish when they get bigger.

Well I have a Red Sea sailfin in my 40g but don't judge me lol it smaller than 2in. I only have three fish so it fine. As for crabs be careful wat type of crab u put in ur tank. Emerald crab is good when they do their job lol

Budman's Corals

Living the Salt life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I have a Red Sea sailfin in my 40g but don't judge me lol it smaller than 2in. I only have three fish so it fine. As for crabs be careful wat type of crab u put in ur tank. Emerald crab is good when they do their job lol
I think emeralds are really just good for Bubble algae.they might pick on the hair but if the hairs to long they will leave it be...

WHAT!!!!!! u have a Sailfin in a 40

just kidding..when it gets bigger more reason to upgrade :)

dorky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think emeralds are really just good for Bubble algae.they might pick on the hair but if the hairs to long they will leave it be...

WHAT!!!!!! u have a Sailfin in a 40

just kidding..when it gets bigger more reason to upgrade :)

Hey hey now I said don't judge me lol yea I'm definitely will be upgrade in about a year or two so I can get more tang. I was lucky to have this type of Red Sea this small. All my lfs don't carry em so I was like umm screw it n get em while I can lol n sry for sidetracking ur thread. Just remember to get some turbo snail they eat it clean off the rock.

Attachments

• image-2377755014.jpg
    image-2377755014.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 140

fragmatic

retired reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As you know there are lots of opinions. My take is I don't see any mention of a refugium. I run two and make it a point to run more intense lighting on them so they go absolutely algae nutz and consume most of the algae food. I had a serious problem until I started doing this aggressively. I still have to scrub the glass to keep it clear, but my LR is no longer plagued by algae.

.... now I've done it, ..... I'd better go bang my head on some wood after posting that.

Budman's Corals

Living the Salt life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As you know there are lots of opinions. My take is I don't see any mention of a refugium. I run two and make it a point to run more intense lighting on them so they go absolutely algae nutz and consume most of the algae food. I had a serious problem until I started doing this aggressively. I still have to scrub the glass to keep it clear, but my LR is no longer plagued by algae.

.... now I've done it, ..... I'd better go bang my head on some wood after posting that.

Does ibovt run a fuge?

Budman's Corals

Living the Salt life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey hey now I said don't judge me lol yea I'm definitely will be upgrade in about a year or two so I can get more tang. I was lucky to have this type of Red Sea this small. All my lfs don't carry em so I was like umm screw it n get em while I can lol n sry for sidetracking ur thread. Just remember to get some turbo snail they eat it clean off the rock.

Like the tang,,They are great algae eaters...

Attachments

• 2013-02-22 13.17.57.jpg
    2013-02-22 13.17.57.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 121

Pappy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok....tangs will not eat hair algae, nor blennies or emerald crabs. As suggested earlier def cut back on feeding. I had a hair algae issue and tried everything (all listed above)...the only thing that kept it in check was running gfo in a reactor and a seahare . Good luck:)

Budman's Corals

Living the Salt life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok....tangs will not eat hair algae, nor blennies or emerald crabs. As suggested earlier def cut back on feeding. I had a hair algae issue and tried everything (all listed above)...the only thing that kept it in check was running gfo in a reactor and a seahare . Good luck:)

Maybe your Tang/blenny don't, but ive seen mine pick at it quiet often..
read this and there's more info out there.

Lawnmower Blenny

Like i said if the hair algae is long then they might not eat it

I never let mine get outta hand.
+1 on gfo reactor

Last edited:

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 46 21.0%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 160 73.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 4.6%
Back