Hair alge issues

1jzs14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I have a 80g shallow reef tank. All of a sudden I am fighting this stupid hair alge issue. I am willing to pay someone so come out and help me with this issue. I will post pictures of the tank tomorrow. Tank is about 3 years old and I've never ran into this issue. Someone please come help. I currently have 3 ai hydra 32hd as lighting, 4 mp10's, and a phosban reactor that is currently not running as I don't know what to run in it. I was running little fishes phosban in it.

vcollins9850

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I have a 80g shallow reef tank. All of a sudden I am fighting this stupid hair alge issue. I am willing to pay someone so come out and help me with this issue. I will post pictures of the tank tomorrow. Tank is about 3 years old and I've never ran into this issue. Someone please come help. I currently have 3 ai hydra 32hd as lighting, 4 mp10's, and a phosban reactor that is currently not running as I don't know what to run in it. I was running little fishes phosban in it.
My current tank never really had this problem but have in the past. If you have large patches of long stringy algae, I would start with manual removal of as much as possible, anything you leave in the tank is nutrients that will just continue to feed growth. If you can get enough removed of the long shaggy stuff it will help with snails to get it under control. I saw a sea hair at Reeflife last week that would help, but would starve once the algae is gone so would need to be rehomed. Other than that, what are you testing nitrates and phosphates at, if they are really elevated, might need to cut back feedings to get those down. Any extra nutrient fish and coral aren’t using are feeding the algae.

Uriken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure if you have any corals at the moment but a 3 day blackout will help as well after you do a good manual removal. Pin cushion urchins can help cut some of it back as well. Snails have a tendency to stay on the glass when this kind of thing gets out of control.

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
params? stockings? CUC?

Dilan Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
GHA can be caused for a number of different reasons but the most common reasons are elevated levels of NO3 and Po4 or what I see most of the time which is too low of those niutrients. The GHA will outcompete other algaes at the lower levels which is why we see it often at lowere nutrient levels. As some have stated having a stocking list, parameters of Mag, No3, po4, salinity and other parameters can help us figure out your problem :)

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know it has gotten a bad rap lately BUTTTTTTT, Vibrant works. In the last year I had two huge outbreaks, one in the beginning like a lot of folks experience and then close to the year mark.
Both times I used Vibrant, vacuumed the rocks daily and eventually I beat it back. No corals lost during this time of use.
Disclaimer, folks are saying it's an algicide, which makes sense, but it works.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 7.9%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 154 67.2%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back