Hair algea in a 4 year old tank.

cdemoss01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a 65 gallon saltwater Marineland reef tank. For years I have been battling hair algae, and right now a bad infestation of brown algae on my glass. It is scrapable, but the hair algae wont go away, it always comes back in a bloom, my parameters are fine, and I have been dosing Reef Elixir for months. Sometimes it goes away but it always comes back. What do I do?

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From my understanding and also battling this (4 years also in a 45g tank)
is that no cuc will eat any hair algae after it grows to a certain length. For me I find the best method of removel is gloves on and hands in, I manually remove as much as possible with fingers 'pinch and twist' and catch/suck up any floaty bits with turkey baster, then I work from the furthest point away from my filters. I will say I do this before my regular water change/ filter clean. Then just toothbrush the remains working in quarter sections of my tank each time/ before a water change and filter clean, I'm close to being on top of it and my tuxedo urchin loves to help and often uses it as camouflage, helps me with hard to reach places

Attachments

• IMG20230425185909.jpg
    IMG20230425185909.jpg
    228.2 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG20230425185914.jpg
    IMG20230425185914.jpg
    216.7 KB · Views: 216
OP
OP
cdemoss01

cdemoss01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are the best pictures I can get but if you can see it there is hair algae mostly on one side, and bubble algae on the other side, the glass is covered in brown algae which is very hard to remove

Attachments

• IMG_0600.jpeg
    IMG_0600.jpeg
    133.1 KB · Views: 209
  • IMG_0599.jpeg
    IMG_0599.jpeg
    153.8 KB · Views: 206
  • IMG_0598.jpeg
    IMG_0598.jpeg
    191.8 KB · Views: 181

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your nitrates are high. I cut back on feeding and run carbon dosing of vodka to neutralize the waste from the fish.

This wold be a good start.

OP
OP
cdemoss01

cdemoss01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bruh, I am not going to sugar coat it, but it looks like you haven't changed the water in months. And it looks like your tank has many dead spots where detritus gathers.
What do you mean by dead spots and what is detritus? I changed my water earlier last month. The water isn’t cloudy the glass has that brown stuff on it.

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think, if this my aquriam I would genuinely rip clean, just my opinion.

It looks like only GSP coral in aquriam along with hairy snails so I don't think you have much to loose, I honestly thought it was a small issue (my pictures is worst I could find, over 2 years ago), I persisted every 2 weeks to clear all/ as much as possible in the method previously advised.

I honestly think either a total rip clean or sell up.
if your still interested in this hobby maybe try a nano tank or similar so it's easier for you to manage

Attachments

• IMG20220916175913.jpg
    IMG20220916175913.jpg
    214.7 KB · Views: 158
  • IMG20220916175909.jpg
    IMG20220916175909.jpg
    193.7 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG20220921155007.jpg
    IMG20220921155007.jpg
    231.4 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG20221001170234.jpg
    IMG20221001170234.jpg
    176.3 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG20221001170240.jpg
    IMG20221001170240.jpg
    246 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG20221001170303.jpg
    IMG20221001170303.jpg
    292 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG20221001170301.jpg
    IMG20221001170301.jpg
    335.6 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG20220916175720.jpg
    IMG20220916175720.jpg
    217.5 KB · Views: 97
OP
OP
cdemoss01

cdemoss01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I simply cannot do a rip clean, that would send my parents over the edge and they’d never let me do it again. I have three fish, marble wrasse, royal gramma, and a lone clownfish. The hair algae has died down. With maintenance and dosing reef elixer. My nitrates are usually always never perfect. I just want to be able to clean the tank and get it successful

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I simply cannot do a rip clean, that would send my parents over the edge and they’d never let me do it again. I have three fish, marble wrasse, royal gramma, and a lone clownfish. The hair algae has died down. With maintenance and dosing reef elixer. My nitrates are usually always never perfect. I just want to be able to clean the tank and get it successful
If your willing to do it and keep on top of it then the only option is.. in my opinion, hands on/ in.

What filtration system do you have, hob, cannister, sumps, pumps, skimmers etc

BranchingHammer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm surprised no one asked this yet... Are you using tap water or rodi to make your water and for top off? Sometimes using tap water can fuel algae blooms. I would recommend taking the rocks that you can out one by one and scrubbing them in a bucket with a tooth brush and then rinsing them with clean saltwater. I would also scrape the glass with a razor blade or a similar scraper, and then do a large water change (30% or so). That will help reset your tank a bit and make it easier to take your tank back.

I totally understand the feeling when the tank looks really dirty and you kind of feel hopeless on how to clean it. I started this hobby when I was very young too and I struggled with maintaining the algae in my tank and had to do a lot of "rip cleans" where I scrubbed all the rocks and did large water changes. One thing that helped me a lot was switching to RODI water, it made my algae issues a lot easier to manage.

One other thing, what type of filtration are you using? You might want to upgrade it (skimmer, larger HOB, canister, etc.) or increase routine maintenance on it. Like others said, I would increase the flow as well so that you have less dead spots where decaying material can collect and so the filtration can remove particles more easily.

YOU CAN DEFINITELY MAKE THIS TANK LOOK REALLY GOOD! Don't hesitate to ask any questions if you want any advice, we are always here to help you!

OP
OP
cdemoss01

cdemoss01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm surprised no one asked this yet... Are you using tap water or rodi to make your water and for top off? Sometimes using tap water can fuel algae blooms. I would recommend taking the rocks that you can out one by one and scrubbing them in a bucket with a tooth brush and then rinsing them with clean saltwater. I would also scrape the glass with a razor blade or a similar scraper, and then do a large water change (30% or so). That will help reset your tank a bit and make it easier to take your tank back.

I totally understand the feeling when the tank looks really dirty and you kind of feel hopeless on how to clean it. I started this hobby when I was very young too and I struggled with maintaining the algae in my tank and had to do a lot of "rip cleans" where I scrubbed all the rocks and did large water changes. One thing that helped me a lot was switching to RODI water, it made my algae issues a lot easier to manage.

One other thing, what type of filtration are you using? You might want to upgrade it (skimmer, larger HOB, canister, etc.) or increase routine maintenance on it. Like others said, I would increase the flow as well so that you have less dead spots where decaying material can collect and so the filtration can remove particles more easily.

YOU CAN DEFINITELY MAKE THIS TANK LOOK REALLY GOOD! Don't hesitate to ask any questions if you want any advice, we are always here to help you!
I am running a Tidal filter with kessel lighting… I also have two flow pumps in the tank with two fluval heaters. Thank you for the support with this, I have gotten hopeless before but I haven’t given up. I use RODI water to fill the tank up. I never let the tank go down you can barely ever see the top of the water when you’re looking at the tank. It’s always as full as I can get it. I have tried a sea hare, it died a day later unknown cause. The fish are healthy, and livley. And my coral is growing like crazy. I want to redo my entire aquascape when I get the algae taken care of. I have no skimmer should I buy one?

Last edited:

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am running a Tidal filter with kessel lighting… I also have two flow pumps in the tank with two fluval heaters. Thank you for the support with this, I have gotten hopeless before but I haven’t given up. I use RODI water to fill the tank up. I never let the tank go down you can barely ever see the top of the water when you’re looking at the tank. It’s always as full as I can get it. I have tried a sea hare, it died a day later unknown cause. The fish are healthy, and livley. And my coral is growing like crazy. I want to redo my entire aquascape when I get the algae taken care of. I have no skimmer should I buy one?
I have looked at tidal filters and they are quite easily taken apart to clean, I assume this is only filter you have so I would definitely start with cleaning this first. there is loads of surface skimmers available for approximately £10-£20, these will definitely help in the process of removing your hair algae and I also recommend these as an additional filter moving forward. Once all filters are cleaned, I would set a goal of a weekly clean out. every week I'm going to pinch and pull all 'grass' gha that I can possible, I'm going to scrub a quarter of my rock with a toothbrush working from furthest away from your filters, in one hour clean filters again l

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have looked at tidal filters and they are quite easily taken apart to clean, I assume this is only filter you have so I would definitely start with cleaning this first. there is loads of surface skimmers available for approximately £10-£20, these will definitely help in the process of removing your hair algae and I also recommend these as an additional filter moving forward. Once all filters are cleaned, I would set a goal of a weekly clean out. every week I'm going to pinch and pull all 'grass' gha that I can possible, I'm going to scrub a quarter of my rock with a toothbrush working from furthest away from your filters, in one hour clean filters again l
Or hands all in all day and pinch pull scub, clean filters every hour, repeat..... then 50% water change, I honestly wish you the best, if I was your neighbour, I would be happy to do it

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 76 35.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 58 27.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 66 30.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.7%
Back