Halichoeres annularis, chrysotaenia or melanurus

Baldguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for an interesting fish that will get along with tankmates and will help with red planaria flatworms. LA says all these might eat wild shrimp but makes a point of saying the Dusky may eat very small wild shrimp. I'm leaning toward the Dusky because of that and I just want a somewhat unique fish. Seems the Melanurus may be more apt to eat flatworms though. Tank mates are flasher wrasses, Lineatus and Hooded fairy wrasses, yellow tang, pyramid butterfly, royal gramma and a couple gobies. Cleaner, fire and peppermint shrimp and snails are the inverts. Thanks for advice, opinions and experience.

thefuz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Melanarus are fun but can be trouble for smaller shrimp I think. I don't believe any of the ones you suggest will mess with your other fish though.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The dusky gets bigger than the melanurus, but grows slower. Both will eat flatworms, both may go after shrimp. Younger fish are more likely to eat flatworms, older fish more likely to eat shrimp. I have never had a problem with Halichoeres wrasses eating shrimp, but I feed heavily.

OP
OP
Baldguy

Baldguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all. Still leaning toward the dusky. Maybe LA will get some in soon.

Chris Fitz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all. Still leaning toward the dusky. Maybe LA will get some in soon.
Hi Baldguy and everyone on R2R,

Great topic, I love the look of the dusky wrasse and have really enjoyed keeping a wrasse in the past!

How was/is your experience with the Dusky Wrasse? Did you get male or female? What kind of tank do you have him or her in?

I'm planning on picking up a Dusky (maybe a pair) next week and keep him/her/them in a 60gal mixed reef DT with tons of LR/hiding places!

My main concern is after quarantining he/she/they will be sharing the community Display Tank with 14 other mates including a mimic yellow tang and a Kole tang (2PJ cardinals, 1 Bangii, 1 firefish, 1 engineer goby, 1 Coral beau, 1 scissortail, 4 Chromis, 1 small cowfish)... Hopefully, there will be no issues. *fingers crossed* Do you think these fish will get along? Do you think this might be considered overstocked (I have massive filtration, skimming and feed heavy)?

I understand my 60 gal may need to be upgraded as the fish get larger with adulthood but do you think or ever heard of, pairing a male and female Dusky in a home aquarium?

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A friend had planaria so bad you couldn't see the sand in places. H. chrysotaenia ate a bunch and along with siphoning he was able to get rid of them. This wrasse is very peaceful and mine didn't ever bother shrimp (cleaner, blood) even when he got very large.

OP
OP
Baldguy

Baldguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Baldguy and everyone on R2R,

Great topic, I love the look of the dusky wrasse and have really enjoyed keeping a wrasse in the past!

How was/is your experience with the Dusky Wrasse? Did you get male or female? What kind of tank do you have him or her in?

I'm planning on picking up a Dusky (maybe a pair) next week and keep him/her/them in a 60gal mixed reef DT with tons of LR/hiding places!

My main concern is after quarantining he/she/they will be sharing the community Display Tank with 14 other mates including a mimic yellow tang and a Kole tang (2PJ cardinals, 1 Bangii, 1 firefish, 1 engineer goby, 1 Coral beau, 1 scissortail, 4 Chromis, 1 small cowfish)... Hopefully, there will be no issues. *fingers crossed* Do you think these fish will get along? Do you think this might be considered overstocked (I have massive filtration, skimming and feed heavy)?

I understand my 60 gal may need to be upgraded as the fish get larger with adulthood but do you think or ever heard of, pairing a male and female Dusky in a home aquarium?
I never did get a Dusky. I ended up with a melanurus. I've tried several fish in an attempt to control planaria flatworms with no success.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dusky is my absolute favorite of the halo wrasses. A pest eating machine .... CUC too, but nobody’s perfect. Does get large. Had mine for almost six years and he is pushing 7 inches. Spectacular coloration and not aggressive at all.

Carterfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a melanurus and he is perfect. Always eating pests and he only has eaten a few snails but only if I didn’t feed enough or forgot.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the opportunity to get two Halichoeres annularis, the Dusky Wrasse.
@ca1ore, do you have a picture of your Dusky wrasse somewhere online? Thanks. Juveniles and females are kinda muted in color.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't think so. I can try to take a picture. Fish is a juvenile and quite drab.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 23.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back